1. SarahN

SarahN New Member

I am stuck!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by SarahN, Dec 30, 2008.

I thought sleeping on it would help but no, I am seriously stuck! I am on Chapter 9 of my ms and I am trying to figure out why this 'family' was sent away (it says earlier in the piece it was too dangerous).

I am lost at how to describe the danger as I don't want to sound cliche and say there was a war. I just can't get beyond this, I know what comes afterwards but this is an important detail because it begins to explain the why.

Any suggestions or ideas would be great. I know there is not much to go on but I could uses some help.

Thanks!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Make it something more personal and urgent - a specific threat against one or more family members, for example.

3. SarahN

SarahN New Member

Thank you. I will try using that and see if I can work it out.

4. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Is it such a critical part that it couldn't be skipped for awhile without losing anything to the story proceeding it?

If not, maybe you could keep the ball rolling with the rest of the story and come back after your subconscious has had time to worry at it for awhile. Some of what you write next may kick up a good idea, it's worked that way for me many times. I do this frequently when I hit a sticking point. It's not a subtle tactic, but it works for me.

5. architectus

architectus Banned

The family was sent away from where or from whom? It was too dangerous for what?

I might be able to help if you answer these questions.

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Too little information in your post to offer meaningful suggestions...care to expand?

7. SarahN

SarahN New Member

I appreciate the help... I was able to come up with a solution thanks to the first two replies.