When you think your writing sucks

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TDFuhringer, Jun 13, 2014.

1. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I've just dragged out my first novel hidden away in a closet for a peek. I took pictures and posted them on my blog here if you want to check it out. It was horrible but eye opening because it wasn't as horrible as I thought. I mean the dialogue was cheesy but there were glimmers of what I was becoming. The quirky style I was trying to develop was there.

I think the main frustration in sucking is thinking that translating your vision has failed. But maybe it's important to have that failure to see what does and doesn't work.

TDFuhringer, Catrin Lewis and Mckk like this.
  2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Absolutely true!

This is why value judgment critiques ("This sucks" or "This is awesome!") are useless. Writing is the quintessential "if at first you don't succeed" endeavor.

peachalulu, TDFuhringer and minstrel like this.
  3. Chad Lutzke

Chad Lutzke Member

Because you are your own worst critic is why I think it's so important to have a few people reading your stuff before you call it good and send it off. Someone who can stand on the outside looking in, and definitely someone who is not afraid to tell you what they think may be wrong with it (if anything). I use my wife and oldest son to help me with that. I make myself very approachable and open minded when hearing their criticisms so they're not afraid to give me any.

peachalulu and TDFuhringer like this.