1. CraniumInsanium

CraniumInsanium Member

When you're firing on all cylinders...multitask or solo focus?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by CraniumInsanium, Oct 10, 2014.

Recently the past couple days my imagination has been firing on all cylinders. That's to say, I'm coming up with plenty of good ideas. Just wondering from everyones experience what you do with all those ideas. I'm torn between writing down a quick synopsis of each, or getting a page for each down, so the general form of the story remains when I come to it later.

Perhaps I should be focusing on a singular story, giving that my attention until it, or a rough draft is finished. Then after one thing is done, go to the next ideas.

My method so far, has been the splash one, or write every idea down, and focus on whichever one holds my attention as the best possible to develop atm.

2. S S

S S Active Member

I take down every idea I get. Not in great detail, but you never know when you might use it. You could even end up integrating it unto your current story.

3. mg357

mg357 Active Member

When I'm working on a writing project and I get an idea or ideas for other projects I write them down in a MoleSkine notebook then when the current project is done I review the idea or ideas that I wrote down and see if any of them are suitable for a full fledge story or book.

cutecat22 likes this.
  4. Twist

Twist Member

I work on whichever idea I'm currently most interested in. Lots of times I'll completely ignore one story for months and then bounce back to it and get a ton of work done. I find it's better to work on whatever's interesting me at the moment then force myself to try and get through one while working on another would be done with a lot more interest and care.

If I have an idea I think could really work but find I'm not in the mood at the moment, I'll write a half a page for it or so and it becomes added to the list of things I'll come back to when I'm in the mood.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

When I'm working on something and a new idea springs up, I open a notebook or a word doc on my computer and jot down everything that is coming to me concerning the idea. I try to flesh it out as best as possible, even to the point of writing a few pages so that when I come back to the idea I can slip into it. In the past I've jotted down ideas in such a flimsy way, that I have no idea what I intended for the story or what made it special enough to jot down.

tonguetied likes this.
  6. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I go with the notebook/journal too. If something bugs me to the point of distracting me from what I'm working on, then I know it's important so I make a note of it in the journal. Once I've finished (or gone as far as I can) with what I was working on, I go back and review the notes. If the time is right, I'll work on that, if not, I'll leave it for another day and move onto something else.

mg357 likes this.
  7. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributing Member Contributor

If you are getting a bunch of ideas, unless you have a great memory you should write down all the details that make it a good idea to you. At least enough so you know where the story is going to go and any other key points that you think help with the story line.

If you are asking what I do, unfortunately I don't get a bunch of ideas flooding in, one is enough to challenge me. I like to think about the story and the little bits and pieces that would develop the story before moving on to another idea, so go 'solo focus' as much as possible.

8. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I write the ideas down, in pretty sketchy form.

Interestingly, when I come back to them later, I find that probably at least half of them are crap. Things that seemed good at the time, but that don't really stand up to much scrutiny. Makes me glad I didn't spend too much time on them when their glossy newness was disguising their lack of depth.

9. Howard_B

Howard_B Active Member

Imho stick to one project/book at a time. Your behaviour comes out a a fear that you will run out of ideas. You won't. You are clearly creative. Have confidence and finish this project. Then move on and new ideas will come.