1. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

Why can't my books become premium on smashwords?

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Apr 8, 2016.

I published 3 when you count them all but only my first one got premium catalog.

My other two keeps saying I need modifications! One says I have trouble with review and font while my latest one says there is an autovetter mistake.
    Can someone walk me through this so I can change it?

Also, do others see my work if it is just on smashwords only? And do they see where it says needs modification? Because that would be embarrassing.

I need help quickly folks!

2. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

I remember having difficulty with Smashwords formatting.
    It might be best to focus on one book; once you get that right you can use the formatting from that book as a template.

Which word processor are you using?

3. Alex R. Encomienda

I converted it to Microsoft office word 97- 2003 document.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Might be the conversion didn't work quite right. What program did you use, and what did you write it with?

5. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

To answer some more of your questions, anybody with access to Smashwords can access your book, but they cannot see the autovetter issues.

Alex R. Encomienda likes this.
  6. Alex R. Encomienda

So they can't see the bold "needs modification" alert at the top? Good! The only other way to market my story, I'll have to put the link up with a photo and I didn't want them to see all those mistakes.

7. Alex R. Encomienda

What do you mean what program? I used Microsoft word and let it download through ePub, doc and many more so it would be more accessible.

8. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

One of the trickier requirements to meet for Smashwords is the use of styles and headings.
    If you don't know how to apply these in MS Word, it may be this that's preventing it from becoming premium.

A print screen of the Smashwords page will be useful for us to see exactly why it's not premium.

9. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

Personally, I switched to uploading a .epub file for Smashwords distribution channels, and only upload the Word document for them to convert into other formats for sale on their own store. That way, I can ensure the epub is going to look good and work properly before I upload it.

10. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

I get issues reported, but I ignore them. I have two stories on Smashwords (both sci-fi, both free for download should anyone be interested). Both were reported as having issues. This is due, I believe, to the fact that I have links to my novels at the end of them. Seems they do not like that.

I ignored the warnings, and the first to be published has become premier regardless. The second has not, but I do not intend to remove the links to my novels.

11. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I can't address your question directly, but I'd like to make a statement.

In 2002, an indie startup ebook publisher, ActionTales, approached me about two novels I'd written after seeing my (then) web site. They published them, I made a few sales, and just as things were starting to pick up, ActionTales was bought out by Smashwords (or they decided to distribute exclusively through them; I didn't pay attention to the details).

Anyway, Smashwords got my books onto Amazon, Barnes & Noble and a bunch of other sites... and within six months, sales dried up to a trickle. At the time, I attributed it to my writing and lack of promotion. Didn't care much; moved on.

Then last year, a friend I've known for years came across the novels and bought both. She was all excited about it. But when my next quarterly royalty cheque arrived, it only recorded one sale, not two.

I just doubled-checked with my friend to make sure she had actually bought both and she did.

So, that means someone somewhere along that chain from Amazon to Smashwords to ActionTales withheld royalties from me by misrepresenting the number of sales. Maybe it was only a paltry couple of dollars, but...

It made me wonder: how many times has this happened in the past? The novels were selling, maybe not well, but I was racking up higher and higher numbers over the first few years before they suddenly trickled out all the way to nothing. And during this time, I was getting unsolicited (and favourable) reviews from independent reviewers (not on the Amazon or B&N sites) , so sales should have been picking up, not dwindling.

Bottom line: I withdrew both novels from all vendors. I don't recommend Smashwords or ActionTales and the only reason I include both is because I have no idea which one held back those royalties.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    jannert likes this.
  12. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

That is a very disturbing tale indeed.