1. RahnyJae

RahnyJae Member

Recommendations: Badass & Child Duo + Promotion to Parent

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by RahnyJae, May 22, 2018.

I love stories centered around adults having to take care of/protect a child that suddenly comes into their life and stories about older kids looking after younger kids, especially in some gritty environment. Basically, the Badass & Child Duo and Promotion to Parent tropes. In action, fantasy, or drama, I live for hardened adults with a soft spot for some kid in peril and orphans raising orphans. I've got quite a few examples from things I've seen.

Movies:
    10 jours en or
    Leon: The Professional
    Safe
    True Grit
    Logan
    The Man From Nowhere (kinda)
    Hard Tide
    Ultraviolet
    Life With Mikey

TV Shows:
    Shameless
    Believe
    Hit or Miss
    Usagi Drop

Video Games:
    Telltale's The Walking Dead: Season 1 (Lee and Clementine)
    The Last of Us
    God of War (Kratos and Atreus)
    I heard The Witcher has that element in there, too.

And there was this 90s movie about a mute girl who witnessed a murder in like Amsterdam or something and some petty crook ended up looking out for her as they ran around the city evading bad guys. I watched that movie just about every time it came on TV, but for the freakin' life of me I can't remember the name of it. :confused:

Anyways, I'm looking for books in those wheelhouses. It can be action-oriented with some larger plot at play or just a character drama. Also, the recs for the Badass & Child Duo don't have to be specifically "man and little girl." Grown woman protecting male or female kid and grown man protecting a boy also welcome.

So if anyone has read or come across books like these, drop me a title please. :read2:

orangefire likes this.
  2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

These are more odd ball movie suggestions. A lot of the adults, though, feel put upon shouldering the responsibility of the child.
    Hey Babe -- it's about a runaway in NY who wants to become famous and shacks up with an old homeless man.
    P.K. and the Kid -- another runaway hitches a ride with a man off to an arm wrestling competition while her crazy stepfather is in hot pursuit
    Spacehunter Adventures in the forbidden zone -- a goofy sci-fi about a man on a distant planet hooking up with a young girl to help him track some kidnapped earthers.
    Blind Fury -- blind guy with a sword (Rutger Hauer) takes young boy across country to his father while bad guys try to snatch the kid.
    Wanda Nevada -- Guy wins young Brooke Shields in a card game and takes her prospecting.
    The Earthling -- Kids parents die in an accident in the wilderness and the kid is left there and if found by an old eccentric hermit.

RahnyJae likes this.
  3. RahnyJae

RahnyJae Member

haha Thanks, I'll take these too! :D