1. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

What's in a (User) Name?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JessWrite, Apr 7, 2012.

Names are special. Being your identity to people, what you're called by, and even someone's name can reflect their personality. The same goes for usernames. I was wondering...why/how did you come up with your unique username?

For mine...Jess is my nickname, and I added "write" because, well, I love writing and it was my intention of a pun if you say it out loud. haha I try to be clever! :p

You're next! Share your username story with us. :)

2. Erato

Erato New Member

Umm... I chose Erato because I don't like to give my real name, and I decided to adopt a goofy persona of ultra-inspired writing... and after all, I love the Muses. (I only wish there was a real muse of writing.) And Erato sounded better than Polyhymnia or Melpomene.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Lemex - pronounced Lem-ex (I've heard friends pronounce it 'Le-mex', which to me sounds wrong) - the name came to me in a dream. I can still remember pretty much every detail of this dream even though I had it years ago. In the dream Lemex was the name of an albino who welded a giant sword during the American Revolutionary war. I liked the name a lot, and used it as my Runescape character's name, used it during the days I played Half-Life 1 online, and on forums like this one. It's became one of several nicknames my friends have for me.

4. Pea

Pea super pea!

I am a pea because I think they are badass.

Don't mess with peas.

5. Just Jon

Just Jon New Member

Because my real name is, well, Jon. :)

6. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

And I was thinking it was "Just".

I picked the name for many reasons, but the simplest answer would be because it gives you a certain amount of leeway in what people might expect from someone that has psycho in their user name. Second people usually tend to give a psycho a little space and avoid getting to close.

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I chose the name minstrel because, in my off hours, I'm a folksinger. I play guitar (usually 12-string) and I love old traditional folk songs and I know a ton of them, so I kind of think of myself as a minstrel. Which is a bit weird, because most of what I write is science fiction - almost the polar opposite of old folk songs!

8. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Very simple. Just my initials and year of birth.

9. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Mine is pretty simple. It's just the name of the MC of my novel wip. NO STEALINGZ!

10. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

The handle 'The Tourist' is a pun or at least a double meaning.

For one, it's an old epithet for a biker who is not fully committed to the lifestyle, i.e., living within a bike club. After I went inactive, I considered my lifestyle to have changed.

It also relates to a Sylvester Stallone movie where he attempts to buy blackmarket fully-automatic rifles. The dealer asks if he's ever used them before, and he answers 'yes.' When the dealer inquires just where, Stallone answers, "As a tourist."

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I don't know what this means. What's the difference between Lem-ex and Le-mex? Tomato, tomato, potato, potato? Accent on which syllable? Long or short vowels?

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Cogito is Latin for "I think."

Now, I know this will be a huge revelation, but behind by reticent personality, I occasionally hold some strong opinions. Sometimes I even, rather diffidently, express them.

13. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

As in: Lӗm-ex, as opposed to Lѐ-Mex.

14. art

art Contributor Contributor

Hey JW! Art is not my real name. When I registered I happened too be listening to Simon and Gafunkel. It's also handily short and great for forumming: for one thing, nobody feels it necessary to abbreviate it or bastardize it when addressing me/referring to me. I would hate it if somebody had the temerity to tinker with it.;)

15. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

Kay is what everyone calls me. Mindless is because I tend to be in lala land half the time. I'm the type of person, if I dared to actually try walking and texting at the same time, you'd see on the news about falling off of piers.

16. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I live to write and I love to write. I want to take a chance with writing a novel.

17. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I chose my username because of my love of Fullmetal Alchemist and the word "Xeno". Xeno means strange and foreign in Latin. My sister majors in Latin so i know some words. :)

18. NeedMoreRage

NeedMoreRage New Member

It comes from World of Warcraft, which was so lame that I had to use it. It has a nice ring to it, as well.

19. xXjxlxkXx

xXjxlxkXx New Member

There isn't much depth to my username, xXjxlxkXx. JLK are my initials and all of the Xs are just visual embellishments. Anyone can feel free to just refer to me as JLK, since the Xs are silent and all. :p

20. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

Mu username comes from constellations. I always have a hard time finding nicknames and no one uses constellation names on internet, so... There you go.

21. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Hey art! Thanks for the shout-out and for sharing! :)

It's so interesting to read about your usernames, I would never have guessed how they came to be. I really like how some usernames are Latin, you all are so smart. ;)

22. Patra Felino

Patra Felino Active Member

I used to have a cat called Patra. If I've managed to edit my profile correctly, she should be the slightly decrepit-looking grey thing on the left.

23. Patra Felino

Patra Felino Active Member

Well, for the moment just imagine a slightly decrepit-looking grey thing.

24. Mordred

Mordred New Member

Mordred (or Medraut), commonly known as the bastard son of King Arthur in some literature, his nephew in others. My favorite story is "Le Morte d'Arthur" by Sir Thomas Malory and I like the bad guy... especially one with a thirst for traitorous vengeance. The theater production of "Camelot" holds a special place too... especially Mordred's song "The Seven Deadly Virtues." Funny lyrics if you ever hear them.

~Mordred

25. ScreamsfromtheCrematory

ScreamsfromtheCrematory New Member

I really, really, really liked this one song by Purtenance (back when they were called Purtenance Avulsion) when I made this account.