Where are you in your story?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Taylee91, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^LOL, you can do that on your Wii? I knew you could like paint and do artsy stuff on it, but not that sort of thing :)

Congrats on getting your first draft done too. That's awesome.

2. ProwerGirl

ProwerGirl New Member

You can paint on a Wii...?

I use a Wii for most of my Internet purposes as I am too poor to get a real laptop, so I do type on it. Usually cramps my hand for hours afterward.

3. Taylee91

^Oh, neat! Yeah, it's like Microsoft pain or fill in the blank painting with pictures you can just bucket dump :)

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

One day I will learn to plan lol I seem to have lost an Earl and his wife - not to mention all their staff. No idea where they are :) If anyone sees them or writes about them can they let me know.

1 person likes this.
  5. Taylee91

^Haha, okay. I will :D If it's any consolation, I've lost people too. Stories in fact. They've been consumed by the dark void and lost forever. I've only just recently got to planning to. haha. I've never been as organized and even still I'm not organized!

6. Pea

Pea super pea!

Planning... planning... more planning. Lately I've been trying to outline every chapter and doing some world lore tidbits when I get bored. There's still a handful of characters and scenes I'm struggling on. So maybe I'll start writing by 2013. ;)

7. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Siiigh, blocked towards the end of my massive "I swear this is almost the final draft" version of the novel I've been unsuccesfully re-writing for about 5 years. I'm 116,451 words through, and in the big final battle scene. I *hate* writing big final battle scenes, so the characters keep stopping to chat but now they're in the wrong place for their fight, so uurgh, going to have to re-write and re-arrange them.

On the other hand, I'm totally happy with the plot and hoping I can convincingly conclude it for the first time ever. :) I mean, I've finished it before, but always with flapping plot ends. So I just cut them all out. :p Then I just need to re-write the opening paragraphs so they don't suck, and I can leave it a couple of months to see how it weathers. :D

8. John Travis

John Travis New Member

I'm going through my third draft of a rather long short story. I have a process, long-hand, electonic document, crank out a copy from my old Corona, repeat. Eventually, finally, when I can't look at it anymore I put it once again on my hard drive for digital submissions and easy printing.

Once I've done another two drafts on my story it will be my first post on this forum. A month of surviving whatever slings and arrows you fine people have to throw at it, refined, and then mailed off to the the Paris Review. Then it will be rejected. Then another mail off to somewhere else. Rejected. A couple more magazines. "Not here either buddy!" I'll despair some more and then I'll probably catch on in some local zine and I can tell my wife, "See. Totally worth it."

Thoughts?

9. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

If you think it's worth it, do it. Some really good stories/books were rejected several times before landing in the lap of some genuis editor, who says, "Yes! This is it!"

Send away.

As for me, I'm working simultaneously on two novels (both fiction and nonfiction) and a short story. I've completed the second draft of the short story, but it needs a bit of tweaking to heighten the emotional impact in the climax. I hate saying that I want to manipulate a scene that way, but that's what I'm doing. I just hope it doesn't end up like jarring background music instead.

As for my stories, I'm starting on the interviews to jump-start my nonfiction piece, but I am struggling with my fiction novel. I've only done about five chapters in two years. This sucks.

I'm not a planner or outliner as a lot of other writers on this board are, so I know about as much as my characters do at this point. I've resorted to clinging to revelation, hoping something will show up that'll make my brain go, Ping!, and allow me to move this stupid story forward.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cthulhu

Cthulhu New Member

I'm 859 words into my story, Chapter one, prologue finished.

I revise as I go, skipping the 'first draft', but making it much slower going.

11. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I'm 50,000 works in and just hit the turning point of my story. The Empress has just murdered the MC's husband, daughter, and adopted son, spurring the MC on her quest for revenge.

Meanwhile, my other MC who is the Empress's only remaining child, is slowly discovering many secrets that prove the Empress may not be the Empress at all.

12. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Sounds like fun. :p

13. Elgaisma

LOL Earl is still missing - and mystery is thickening - have at least had a few murders in my murder mystery. Beginning to make Midsomer and Oxford look like they have a low murder rate. (not in real life just in fiction)

14. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I honestly have no idea... I have a complete outline, but everything turns out a lot longer than I intended so I have no idea how long it's gonna get or just where I am...

15. John Travis

John Travis New Member

I. Am not. Afraid. Of...rejection. I am not afraid. Iamnotafraid!

16. DeNile

DeNile New Member

And now Aidan has been banished for betraying the Nottacs in the war and is now on quest for revenge against my MC. Go Lucillia!

17. Elgaisma

still not found the Earl but he was hiding a mysterious woman in his attic lol

18. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

I'm roughly 10,000 words into my historical novel. I have done a lot of research, and my characters are rounding out nicely. Just need to improve my sub plots.

19. JMTweedie

JMTweedie New Member

I'm about to start chapter two of my first draft. It's about 2500 words at the moment.

My scene list is mostly done, I've got the last few to compile. I've already got the last two scenes planned.

Should have the next chapter drafted by the end of this week, if not earlier.

20. DarkMercury

DarkMercury New Member

I'm perilously close to the end, with a couple of loose ends I need to tie up. It's pushing the bloated 120,000 word mark at this point, and will probably come in at ~135K.

When revision starts, I intend to get it back under 100K. That 35K of cutting is going to HURT.

21. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Im at rewriting the first draft that I finished in december. I ned to work a lot more and develope the plot to being more complete, right now I'm a little bit stuck, but not at all unproductive since I'm planning what parts I'm going to work more on and how to deal with others that caused me problems in the first draft. When I take it up again at least I'll have plenty of new ideas and writing will flow more easily.

Wow, that sounds interesting, did you study scriptwriting or something? Because I got it that it's quite different from novelwriting, it's presented in a totally different way...Is it most dialogue (as I would imagine) and a little setting?

Oh really? You already know exactly how much you're going to cut? How come? sheez, 35K is more than half of my actual novel, gulp! :eek:

22. Malo Beto

Malo Beto New Member

I've got characters and a decent plot laid out but I keep changing minor details with the beginning so I can never get started actually writing. Maybe I should just start writing and not look back until I'm done.

23. Taylee91

^Haha, I think you should. You'll never know until you try ;) Seriously, you need to take control and not let the page or screen out win you. Just start as you said and don't look back.

24. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I think this is the only novel I've written out of linear order because before I never trusted myself to go back and fill in the gaps. The only chapter I'm going to write in the correct place is the very last so it really feels like I'm finishing the project.

Today's writing starts on chapter 34 (43 of 50 to be written) and 165k in. My MC, K, is currently sat on the antagonist's kitchen counter while waiting for his pizza to finish reheating. :rolleyes: Yeah~ I say he's the antagonist but he's not exactly a villain.

25. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

I have several WIPs. The Main one, the one I've been working on most recently, is perhaps a half-finished first draft. Unfortunately, due to other temporal priorities, I have had to stop writing for about two weeks and I am finding it very hard to get back into it.