Where are you in your story?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Taylee91, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Coreen Hipae

Coreen Hipae New Member

Right now I have the basic ideas for the series and what I want each book to cover. I am forming my characters right now and trying to figure out how and where to begin haha. I am one of those people that I try to write a very rough draft right from the get go to help me develop it. I am failing on knowing where to start this time haha.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

No they're not you have already shown your Swan-Princess evolving the others will too just be patient with them Even with Socrates when I am starting a new story with him can take around half a new first draft to get to know him and understand him again - sometimes even a year can account for a change in character.

3. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Haha, thanks, Charlotte :) You're right. It just takes time. I've written a little over 1k tonight so I feel better about my writing now :D

4. DeNile

DeNile New Member

Yeah I know what it's like not knowing where to start. When I started writing I just chose a place to start near something interesting, for instance Lucillia getting captured. Over the last little while I've gone back and added more to the beginning, adding scenes before that, and it seems to have led me to a proper beginning.

Anyway, I did hit my 15K goal last night and I have the next six or seven scenes planned out. I need to do some reading today to catch up on school, but I think I'm doing pretty well.

Good luck everyone!

5. Coreen Hipae

Coreen Hipae New Member

That is a good idea on picking a point and just start writing then go back. Though I have always had trouble doing things like that. Must be the perfectionist in me haha.

I now know where I want to start roughly its just how to get it going. In my story I want with one of the ten years before and go into detail how the two different terrorist groups working with and against each other begin to break apart and shatter the reigning government. This causes the government that was an alliance of two factions to launch into a second great war that has spread across the galaxy over the last ten years.

Anyway before I ramble on and on its how do I jump into the politcal thing without being boring,

Grats on the word count btw.
    My current WC.... 0 woot haha

6. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I finished my 3rd re-write and I'm now re-writing my first 50 pages to send in to an agent. I'm nervous, but I know if she doesn't like it I can always re-write it and try again.

7. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Finished as well! *high five*

8. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

^ Well done, both of you! :D

168k in -- 7.5 chapters to go until "The End" -- and my character is blindfolded, naked and knelt in his employer's spare bedroom while waiting to hear his fate.

9. DeNile

DeNile New Member

18K in, struggling with my next scene. Can't decide on a dream sequence but know what has to happen after the dream. Congrats to everyone else though~

10. Elgaisma

Trying to convey the idea that I mean the whole cheesecake, when I start a scene/sketch with Joe putting the cheesecake on the tray.

11. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

Just killed off a main character :(

12. Elgaisma

*offers dizzyspell the cheesecake with lots of icecream*

13. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

^Haha, thank you!

It's ok really, because now I get to meet a new character whose here to investigate her death. He's got me stumped though, at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get to know him soon enough!

(But hey, I'll never turn down free cheesecake ;) )

14. Melzaar the Almighty

New characters are always fun. :D

I was up half the night re-reading my story. Only on page 20 or so and I had to start over when I thought of another thing I want to check I wasn't doing as I wrote, so I have a long ways to go. Have to do it fast to keep everything I was thinking of in my mind though!

15. SometimesThere

SometimesThere New Member

I'm only at the very beginning of my story. Right now, I'm just trying to find names that suit my characters. I'm nearly sure that my main character will be called either Lily, Grace or Elizabeth (Lizzie for short). Elizabeth is the name that's winning at the moment.

16. Melzaar the Almighty

Ooooh, Lizzy! That's my name. :D

17. DeNile

DeNile New Member

Just woke up, off to take world notes on the Sacred Temple before I lose my mental image of it and then it's off to school. Will probably write another 500 words today. Starting to slow down because my characters don't like to tell me what's going on and the words don't feel right when I type them. I know it's a first draft, but I'd rather have the scenes at least partially salvageable by the time I'm done.

Damn Lucillia! She's closed up from the murders of Helena and Michael and refuses to let me make her emotional. Sigh... I suppose writing dream sequences and subplots will have to do for now.

18. Mr. Blue Dot

Mr. Blue Dot New Member

One tip I learned on this site was if things start to slow down, send in another character. In Lucillia's case, I would say send in some one with alcohol and see if that makes her open up ;)

In the last short story I wrote my MC made an offhand comment about a deal he had made with a dragon, and I started to write a story about what exactly that deal was. I'm probably a third of the way through it, it's going to be a lot shorter than the last one.

19. DeNile

DeNile New Member

^Love to be able to do that, but she already has someone to help. I think I know how it's going to go down now. But thanks for the help!

And she doesn't drink, she thinks she's above alcoholic beverages. :)

20. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I just went through my manuscript and changed the dwarves' race name from dwarrows to dweorg. Dweorg just sounds better. And dwarrow is too long. Besides, who wants to admit speaking dwarrowish? :)

People can still call the dweorg dwarves, but that usually gets a person a knuckle sandwich. They're sensitive about the height thing. :D

21. Elgaisma

My 'dwarves' are around six feet tall (just shorter than the other races on their world), tend to be a little rotund. Have emerald-green eyes or aquamarine eyes with cherry red hair that fades to pink as they age. They are part of my pre-mortals I called em Hai-ji.

Today I am getting no place fast - really not feeling very well again. Going to try and murder someone he needs to be deaded in the next few scenes.

22. Melzaar the Almighty

Dweorg is an awesome name. :D Although I think Dwarrow sounds pretty good too :)

I'm spending today tearing out my throat reading the whole finished novel out loud to check for errors and things that don't flow well... I'm making a lot less corrections than the last novel I finished - it makes me happy. :)

23. Corbyn

Corbyn Lost in my own head Supporter Contributor

I just killed of my main character.. but that's ok ... because a.. I don't like him.. and b... his story doesn't really start until he's dead anyway!

24. Coreen Hipae

Coreen Hipae New Member

Yay for Zombie MCs

25. DeNile

DeNile New Member

Awesome! I'm struggling today for some reason. Feel like everything I write is crap. Guess it's not a writing day.