1. SRCroft

SRCroft New Member

Plot and Restrictions

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by SRCroft, Dec 1, 2010.

Right now I am stuck in a tough pickle. I know without seeing the piece it would be hard to comment, but I'd still like to hear some thoughts on the subject.

My story is a dark fantasy, fiction novel. As I was writing, it built layer, upon layer, and it honestly has a lot of depth to it. My concern is that my goal was to create a singular story, but in concern for realistic motion of events I am afraid it may end up being considerably too long.

Just getting from a real 3-D environment and building up the tension and mystery lasted about 6 chapters which are around 4000-4500 words a piece. So over 100 pages of the story is a lead up, but on the other hand it builds the characters, pulls you in and develops a realism and attachment. Not to mention the tension rises from chapter 1 all the way to 6.

So, my major concern is that around 30-35000 words are taken up, and it is a topic that most assuredly will call to be marketed as YA Fiction. Have I wasted too much of the text? Even if I take it out to 80-90k words, it will be tough to do what I want.

Ultimately, now I am stuck on the following decision:

Do I write it, no matter how long--letting it's merit stand--and work it out later? (Problem is if I decide to solve the issue serially, I will really have to created plots that reflect the major plot of all books and surround the situations, not just split the book.)

Do I break the plot serially into books?

The real world is very important to my story as it reflects not only the issues surrounding the boy, but also reflects the conclusion and comes back into play toward the end. There is also the occasional flash to a storyline continuing that involves people searching for the boy that builds up to the conclusion.

I appreciate any thoughts.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Write the story and then see it might surprise you - if you get into Adult Fantasy numbers you can market it as that or try to.

1 person likes this.
  3. SRCroft

SRCroft New Member

Thanks

Thanks, that is how I have been leaning. I think I am having one of those, I am really close to finishing, moments. I am way over the YA count, but I still have plenty of revisions, and this rewrite that has cut it down a lot. *Takes a deep breath*