1. Agent Vatani

Agent Vatani Active Member

Where do you begin?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Agent Vatani, Oct 29, 2012.

Do you write from beginning to end? End to beginning? Middle, beginning and then end?
    I write from beginning to end.

2. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

I write all over the place - there's no particular order.

3. MissClood

MissClood New Member

I have tried writing bits and pieces but my brain is not wired to thread them together. I end up writing different styles and tenses etc. So now I focus on beginning to end.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

at the beginning of the book/short story/article/poem/lyricwhatever... which, in re fiction, may or may not be the actual beginning of the story...

5. Crystal Parney

Crystal Parney New Member

I usually write from beginning to end, but at times I write all over the place. If I have a random scene in my head I will write it down, and I may or may not use it later.

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I try to write from beginning to end - but like Crystal , other scene come to me and I jot them down. Sometimes they make it into the
    story sometimes not. If I'm struggling to start the book sometimes I'll just write a scene that I know will be in it,
    getting into the vibe of the story and then I'll head back to the beginning and try again.

7. Jasmine Collins

Jasmine Collins Member

I write beginning to end but I also will write a scene here and there if one pops into my head. I think writing scenes out of order is a good way to get going again if you're stuck on one spot. You might not know what to do with the scene you're on, but then you might know where you want them to end up, so it can sort of get you on a path again.

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Beginning to end, most often. My narratives usually start in media res, so with my next I'm thinking of writing some of the later (flashback) chapters first. They may not even be used, but simply written for background.

9. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Same here. I start at the beginning of a novel, and move through it to the end.

10. EmilyChristine

EmilyChristine New Member

Generally, I write from beginning to end - that's simply the way my mind organizes things.
    But if a particularly poignant scene, or paragraph, or phrase comes to me out of order, I will write it down and keep it for later. I don't necessarily need to use it, but at least it's there if I want it.

11. Robinwood

Robinwood New Member

I will not follow particular order sometimes it will be from beginning to end and sometimes middle, beginning and end etc. but after completing I will sort it out!! :)

12. louis1

louis1 Member

I also write in order. from beginning to end. Anything else wouldn't make sense. I don't see a single reason not to write in order.

13. Sackninja

Sackninja Member

I write from beginning to end as well. I couldn't do it any other way without getting lost.

14. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I write in order for short stories. For longer works, I write in any order that's convenient at the time. Louis, one very good reason not to write in order is in a case in which you don't know what the right order is until you've done quite a bit of writing. Some of us don't outline, preferring to dive right in (sometimes) and find our stories as we write them. It's great fun, and creatively stimulating, to write that way (in my opinion, at least). Some famous writer (Ray Bradbury?) likened it to jumping off a cliff and building your wings on the way down. Interesting way of looking at it ...

15. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

I storyboard.

16. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Scripts: Start to finish. I start with a concept and a general idea of the plot and the structure. I design my world to establish my rules, and then start at the start. Sometimes I'll build later scenes, but that's once I get going.

Books: I start with a scene and build around it, working forwards and backwards, and then all over the place. Most of the time a book was never intended as a book; it was just an idea or scene that kept growing until it clicked and I knew exactly where it would lead.

17. robertpri007

robertpri007 New Member

I don't write a single word until the story is loosely framed in my head. I know about where to begin, and more importantly, how it will end. I take cryptic notes about characters, peak points and the general plot, and then expand everything until the overall story skeleton is formed.

Then I begin to actually write it. This is also why I rarely have writer's block. It's been in my head for a month.

18. Gilborn

Gilborn Member

Generally I write beginning to end. However with novels or other larger works, I'll work a chapter at a time, so I may write chapter 1 and then chapter 6. I do my best to write an entire chapter at a time without switch to another work, that way I keep my voice constant and keep it on my mind. If I do end up stopping mid way through I'll go back and read what I had and then start from the beginning.

19. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I write from beginning to end, but then there's nothing stopping you from changing the order once it's been written ;)