1. Jonalexher

Jonalexher Contributing Member

Where do you do most of your writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Jonalexher, Nov 23, 2010.

Not a poll, just a discussion to see where everybody is the most effective. Where do you get most of your ideas? laying in bed with your computer? a desk? a park? where do you do your writing?

I do most of my writing laying on my bed with my laptop, but it has no inspirational factor. I should try going to a park, or even my backyard just to try it out. What about you guys?

2. Naiyn

Naiyn Contributing Member

Mostly at home at my desk. If I'm feeling stuck or unmotivated though, I look for a change of scenery-- anyplace I can sit down with my laptop and a cup of coffee.

3. DisFanJen

DisFanJen Member

I use my iPad as my main writing tool so pretty much anywhere is my writing area. I do quite a bit of writing at work during downtime though.

4. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

I like to write in a place near water. There is a small lake within fifteen minutes of walking, but what I would really like is a waterfall. Otherwise, I do most of my writing around the house.

5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributing Member Contributor

Currently, I do most of my writing sitting on the couch in my living room. I find weird places where I get good writing vibes, though...back when I worked at Papa John's, I used to go in on my days off and sit on the huge stacks of extra pizza boxes to write. For some reason, my creativity really flowed there.

6. Speedy

Speedy Contributing Member Contributor

On a sunny day, in the study.

On an overcast, rainy day, on the bed.

On a hot humid evening, on the deck.

Usually.

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Right now at my desk - it will be moving upto my study have finished it today all decorated and looking out over the scenery where part of my stories are set :) Will hopefully be getting a netbook after Christmas though so I can write where I need to be.

8. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributing Member Contributor

At my desk usually - it faces a window so I can look out at the scenery which helps. Although I do like to sit by the lake and write, and I found a few nice parks which when the weather's warmer I'll take advantage of.

9. BUDDY GORGEOUS

BUDDY GORGEOUS Active Member

My imagination.. as well as any other process going on in my brain, rages along at a 1000mph on a good day. On a bad day, it slugs along at 999mph :p. Everywhere i go i always have good creative vibes, especially when Im at work and dealing with prisoners and violent individuals. I sit alot at a little wooden desk, in an alcove in the corner of the living room. When my gf watches things like Pop Idol or X Factor.. i save myself from having suicidal thoughts by writing till she's finished. I get from all over the place. I live by the beach and local mountain trails so i go hiking or walking regular and that is suprisingly really good to get the mind juices flowing.

I carry a little note pad with me so when theres a lull in work or if im waiting somewhere etc.. and i have an idea, i whip it out (the pad) and start scribbling. I find it easier for me to write at me desk but when certain circumstances arrive, i feel comfortable pretty much wherever i am.

10. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

I used to do a lot of writing in my parents' conservatory, looking out onto the garden.

As a kid I used to write song lyrics pretty much everywhere (in the garden, hammock, park, sitting up in trees...)

Now it's mostly my desk in my converted loft/bedroom.

11. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

Since I seldom leave my room, I write either in the bed or in my desk. Thinking about it, I never wrote anything at all out of my bedroom o_O

12. Top Cat

Top Cat Senior Member

My uni has a writing studio - which is quite nice. I like to walk around when I'm writing and erm...speak to myself. :rolleyes:

If there's someone else there, I always end up getting them involved. "Hey - what if so-and-so was not in fact a vegtable-demon?". I love new environments - I can never work in my own bedroom. Never ever...:mad:

Sometimes I write at my desk which is faced at a window that overlooks the ocean. But I often find myself just people watching, and drinking tea.

13. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

Really, that's where I work most often. At my PC, writing in peace and quiet with no one else to bother me, its perfect.

14. Top Cat

Top Cat Senior Member

Really. :p I prefer having an office like space, surrounded by books and paper. The bedroom for me is purely for pleasure and sleep :)

15. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

I would prefer an office to work, but there's a massive lack of space in my home so I work where it is peaceful.

16. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

I do almost all of my writing totally alone. I'm usually in my room surrounded by art I've made and put on the walls and listening to my writing playlist. I have no idea why but the forest and any body of water inspires me. My mind really gets going when I go out hiking. :)

17. Klogg

Klogg Member

I usually write sitting on the couch with my laptop unless there are other people in the room. They are a distraction so I go into my room and sit on my bed. On nice days I may take it outside. Ideally, I'd have a tiny room just large enough for a table, desk, and bookshelf to minimize distractions (which I am extremely prone to).

18. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sitting at my desk, on my computer... or lounging on the sofa, with pen and lined pad...