1. Vitrify

Vitrify Member

Where do you write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Vitrify, May 6, 2008.

Considering I'm still in highschool, I do it at school, in my boring classes. I also do some writing at home, usually lying down in my room before I sleep.

2. scribbledhopes

scribbledhopes Member

Myself, All over the place and I love my laptop. Porch, kitchen table, sofa, outside swing in the evening at dusk. Depends on my mood.

But where do I do my best writting..

Oddly often in bed, just before I nod off, when all things are quiet and dark and I am left alone to my thoughts or fist thing in the morning when my mind is fresh but all else is quiet and still sleeping. Even at my desk during the day it is too noisy, to busy, to much happening around it to be fruitful.

but to each his own, though proper posture and support is important, you don't want to stop writting because of a cramp.

Just my two pennies.

3. Silver1

Silver1 Member

I write best in my room. I write in a notebook when I'm stuck, and my computer when things are flowing well. I like my room because I can leap from my bed, where my notebook is, to my computer chair as needed. I can't imagine what people would say if they saw me when writing is choppy and I'm bouncing back and forth like a ping-pong ball.

4. Kaij

Kaij Senior Member

I find the time to write a little bit during my breaks at work, or at lunch time, as I hardly ever eat anything anyway. Another good time I write is in the late hours of the day, around 10 PM - 3 AM. Nothing disturbs me at this time, and I'm nocturnal anyway.

5. Tyunglebo

Tyunglebo Member

I am pretty much bound to the computer in the computer room. I do not own a lap top, and I have a situation with my hand that does not allow me to write anything creative of any length longer than a poem freehand. (I will literally start to cramp up and high as my shoulder after more than two pages of intense writing, which creative writing always is.) Because of that, i think faster than I can write, and in trying to catch up, I get all numb.

Plus, I have not written in cursive since grade school because my cursive was always atrocious. So everything I write is printed. I could conceivably do better now, but it would take such thoughts and concentration, I would never get anything done, and it would be no guarantee to feel any better.

I don't do what writers should, and carry a notebook around everywhere I go. I really should start...if only to record snippets when they come to me.

6. Kaij

Kaij Senior Member

Tyunglebo, it's always a good thing to carry a notebook, if even a tiny pocket-sized pad of paper. I do this, and if someone says something funny that I know I won't remember off the top of my head, I write it down. One of my co-workers said something funny, I wrote it down and they asked if I was writing a love letter. I told him I did that last week, and that I was writing a hate letter instead ;P

Most of my ideas I come up with I can remember until they are written down. They'll stay with me for days at a time.

7. lessa

lessa Contributing Member

I write in my home office when it is quiet. No people no radio just me the computer and my cats. 3 of them draped over some part of the desk or sitting in the hall watching me.
    I can't write as my arms don't like me afterwards.
    This summer I will be writing outside on my swing using the laptop. Don't know if this will work or not but sure hope so. I spend most of my time outside once it is warm enough.

8. Vitrify

Vitrify Member

Forgot to say, I always write in my notebook first, and my computer is simply for typing it up and correcting/editing it. And when people I don't want to read my book ask me what it is, I always say it's a 70~80 page love letter ;D

9. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

I used to always write at my desktop, now I take the laptop where ever is the most comfortable. Most of my writing is done on scraps of paper that end up filling mu pocket by the day's end.

10. mikespread1988

mikespread1988 Member

writing notes - bedroom
    writing it up - front room where PC is, don't have laptop.

11. silverfrost

silverfrost Member

I usually only work on my laptop. I tried the hand-writing thing once and it didn't seem to work out - probably because I like to edit as I write drafts, and that gets messy when hand-writing.

As far as location, I can write anywhere. I like to switch it up and try different places, though.

12. KP Williams

KP Williams Contributing Member

I find that my writing is best when it's handwritten, somewhere other than home. Since I'm still in high school, that's where I do a lot of it--two of my four daily classes require very little effort, and a third requires absolutely no work of any kind. I'm actually in that third class as I'm typing this. :p

When it comes time to transfer it to a computer, I use the PC in my room. It's ancient and isn't connected to the Internet, but it works well for text documents. I tend not to write on the computer, since lately my work has been getting worse when I type it.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

when the mood and the muse strike, i write wherever i am, at any given moment... with whatever comes to hand, with which i can set down the words... former has included planes, trains, buses, cars, waiting rooms, bars, restaurants, bedroom, bathroom, desk, table, lap, et al. ... and latter includes pen, pencil, marker, whatever, on napkins, TP, book/magazine margins, nice lined notepads, scraps of anything at all, as well as from keyboard to pristine or used-on-one-side paper , on an old-fashioned typewriter, or any computer i can get my fingers on...

14. Milady

Milady Contributing Member

I write snippets in whichever of my seven notebooks is handy. But the only place the words flow is on the computer. I get writer's cramp fairly easily, but typing's pretty smooth and easy.

There're two computers in my house. The old crappy one is in my room, designated for my use. But I don't always write well when using it...

The nice one in the main room of the house has internet access... but is too open to scrutiny...

15. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Waffle House, IHOP, Denny's, the odd coffee shop or bar. Somewhere the coffee flows freely.

I write longhand and then transcribe it on my desktop in my office.

16. Plushii

Plushii Member

I can only write at my home computer, in the back room of the house. Whenever I write by hand, I wind up losing my train of thought because my hand can't keep up with my mind. I write much faster when I type, so it's easier for me to keep my train of thought.

As for time, I usually write better at night, which is odd because I'm more of a day person.

17. MumblingSage

MumblingSage Contributing Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    I also write during free time at school, in my notebooks. I only use my computer to type up words I've already written. This weekend, I acutally wrote at home for the first time in ages. Without an interruptions, I got a sore back and a good 2800 words down.

18. FinalConflict

FinalConflict Member

In my room on my computer, although I'll write anywhere I get an idea, just so long as I don't forget it.

19. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I write in the middle of the night or early morning when everybody is asleep and there is peace and quiet.

20. Cheeno

Cheeno Contributing Member

I write longhand initially, generally outdoors, though always dependant on our idiosyncratic Irish weather, then I transcribe and review in my front room, with good music to ease the road ahead.

21. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Contributing Member Contributor

In the arms of the man I love at home in NC.
    Oh I write in my loft on the computer, but I really enjoy writing when I am out...sitting in crowded areas are great, I find I get inspired over the simplest things, such as a woman's large leather handbag or a silver hair clip.

I keep a note book on me all the time, just for such occasions.

22. BigDave

BigDave New Member

I do my best creative writing at my desk, late at night when I have a paper due the next morning. This is very inconvenient.

23. starrynight89

starrynight89 Senior Member

Anywhere, really? I usually get a lot of ideas when I'm on the metro or in the car staring out of the window. But I agree with Dave, I do tend to do a LOT of writing whenever I'm ambushed with work (aka finals :(]

24. Writer's Coin

Writer's Coin New Member

I also write longhand first and then type it up. I get up around an hour and a half before I need to and write in the mornings, I've found that's when I'm at my best. After work just doesn't work for me.

25. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

I do it in the old dining room, only because that's where the computer is and I can't write by hand nearly fast enough to catch the thoughts as they go through my head. Gets way too frustrating.