1. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Contributing Member

Where do you write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Mike Kobernus, Oct 27, 2013.

How about sharing a description of where you write?

Do you have a desk? Are you an armchair writer? Above the garage?

I wonder who will have the wackiest place that they habitually use to write in, on or around?

For myself, it is quite mundane.

I sit at a desk, with an iMac and a glass of Coke.

How about you?

2. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

In my tree-house with a banana and some maple leafs. honestly!

3. Mike Kobernus

Wow...Now that could just take the biscuit!

4. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Spare bedroom/office. Big old-fashioned office-style desk. Comfy computer chair with arms. Brand-new Mac Mini. Very Old Formac Oxygen monitor, clackity old-style wired keyboard and mouse. HP Printer.

Door that SHUTS. Yes. Very grateful for this space.

@erebh Tree house? Sounds ...um ...well, how in heck can you write during a hurricane, especially while you're slipping around on banana peels at the same time? Ach well, horses for courses...

5. Mike Kobernus

Right now what I wouldn't give for a tree house! I have a 20 month toddler running around in here, and let me tell you, a jet engine would be easier to fade out than her!

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i write anywhere/everywhere i happen to be when i have something needing to be written, with anything and on anything that's handy... i keep pens and paper all over the house, even on top of the bed, for when an idea strikes in my sleep...

my formal writing 'studio' is the corner of my little house trailer's front room by the sliding door... there i have a desk, huge h-p does-everything printer on a stand, a bookshelf, and file drawer/shelves combo arranged in an uneven u-shape, with a comfy exec-type swivel chair in the middle... as i'm a full-time practicing philosopher, a sizable flat screen tv faces me, so i can keep up with what's going on in the world, switching between the 3 cnn channels [or ignoring it], while i work, depending on what's happening where...

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

At the PC on the desk in the living room is my usual spot, but I have a good laptop for when I travel and notepads are always available.

8. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

At my desk in my bedroom, office chair and something to drink on the side table. Nothing more interesting than that, I'm sorry. For me it's really difficult to write anywhere else than home, because cafées etc are too distracting. Need to be alone.

9. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

At a small computer desk that's usually covered in many pages of scrap math papers, things I wrote down in the middle of the night, and now orange juice that I just spilled on my keyboard. I'm out of Bounty paper towels, too. Damn.

10. rhduke

rhduke Contributing Member Reviewer

Comfortably in bed.

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

The "family room" in my house is really my office. I have a desk there, credenza, bookshelf, printer/copier/scanner. I put my laptop there when I need the space.

If there's too much noise in the living room (roomie and/or guests are watching TV), or if it's Sunday (like today) and football games are on, I take my laptop to my bedroom where I can watch the games on my TV there. I sit on the edge of the bed with the laptop on a table in front of me. I have a local area network drop in my room, so I'm still connected to the printer.

Various drinks are available in both locations.

12. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

When I'm living with my father: Sitting in a chair that is probably going to break my back completely, at my brother's computer, with two parrots beside me (which is not always good, since I prefer to be alone with some soft music).

When I'm living with my father: Sitting in a comfortable chair, at my computer, underneath a skylight window. Alone.

Preferrably I'd be sitting in my room, at my desk, but I haven't got the computer there (due to space restrictions and social factors).

13. ddavidv

ddavidv Contributing Member

Sitting in a reclining loveseat, feet up, with the laptop on my lap, predictably. :) I have a nice office upstairs with an office chair and another computer but for reasons I can't explain, I do all my writing in my downstairs "man cave". I've got a nice view out the french doors when I choose to look up. The bathroom is up the stairs, though, and I only have beer in the fridge down here (drinking and writing do not go together for me).

I've sometimes sat on the front porch and tapped the keys but the weather has to be perfect. Too hot, too cold, too windy...any of it will distract me just enough I get irritated and wind up back inside.

14. stormr

stormr Member

For me, my writing happens in the small living room in our house, on the side of the couch with the small table, which is a used wooden spindle that rope came off of. I use an almost one year old HP laptop, with a gears of war sticker on the top. I only write when my girlfriend isnt in the room, so time is limited to a couple hours a day, if that. But I come up with my story ideas either at my low-paying dead end job, while bored. Or when I'm out in my workshop having a smoke.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  15. Dazen

Dazen Active Member

At the desk in the study, mini-fridge with coke, executive-type swivel chair, and with a music playlist on replay :love:
    (Make sure door shuts before sitting down, as getting up to do it is too much effort)

16. Birmingham

Birmingham Active Member

On the laptop in my living room, though I'm thinking I should probably try different spots. Is it good for a laptop to be out in the open in mid day, when it's warm and sunny outside? I tried writing in a cafe before, I guess that's all right.

I heard of a guy who goes hiking with a recording device, and just talks to himself and reads the plot into it. Then, when he gets home, he simply transcribes the whole thing into text.

17. Mike Kobernus

I have a rather uncomfortable 'writing' chair. I would love to have something nicer. After about an hour, I am forced to take a break in order to alleviate the pressure! Not a metaphor!

18. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Contributing Member

I write in my room. In front of a 42'' TV I use as a monitor

19. Dazen

Dazen Active Member

Would any here be interested in starting a group of Alpha or Beta Readers for our respective novels? I think it could have a good impact on editing, revising etc, and also will help to reduce any type of writer's block.

20. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Contributing Member

I have been looking for reliable editors and actually was looking to involve more writers in my blog, The Grim Library, to actually build a library of stories. And my friends aren't very reliable atm.

21. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

Normally in my room, laptop on desk, notebook on bit where keyboard goes. i have my LP sitting in front of a pair of speakers (generally turned on playing some album or other or a playlist) Personally a Samsung user and notebooks? as long as the paper is good, i used to write with a fountain pen, but ive turned to biros, ink for my pen is expensive (being Sheaffer, there is very few places that stock the black ink i so dearly love) generally there is plain paper, of A3 and A4 sizes within easy access as well as A4 notebooks, but somehow i prefer A5 notebooks. if not here, then a Cafe will do just nicely.

Drink of preference? it has to be a mug of tea whether it be english breakfast, russian caravan or a fruit infusion

22. teeekilicious18

teeekilicious18 Member

Notebook, Iphone notes, school notebook, hand ... But mostly laptops.

23. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Contributing Member

Last Christmas I was given a nice little leather covering that has a few string-bindings , which allow for a few moleskin journals to be placed inside and held there by them.

I write whenever and wherever I feel like it, mostly. But I prefer to write in coffee shops (cliche as fuck, I know), because I enjoy listening to the sounds of people talking and baristas working, and the scents found within. I also enjoy working at a desk in a room all to myself, where I can shut the door and just be myself for a few hours.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  24. teeekilicious18

teeekilicious18 Member

hahahahaha you made my day when you say "writing in coffee shops is cliche" xD

25. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Contributing Member

Haha, it's true though. What kind of artist/artsy-fartsy-type/pseudo-intellectual DOESN'T drown themselves in coffee?

Fitzroy Zeph likes this.