1. iamnotaweed

iamnotaweed New Member

Where do you write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by iamnotaweed, Nov 27, 2011.

I understand it is not productive to write in bed, but I find myself trying to do it quite frequently.
    I also understand it's not productive to write with the TV running, but here I am, still trying.

I'm still a student, so sitting at a desk any time outside of class is like torture. However, I'm beginning to feel the magic of the desk might be productivity...

Do any of you successfully stay awake while writing in bed?
    Are any of you masters of focus that can ignore a blaring TV?

Or do you find your muse somewhere else?

2. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am out to bed to write, never in it.
    I write at my desk and I write usually in my head before I start coming with words.:D

3. FoxPaw

FoxPaw Senior Member

I have a desk, but for some reason, I find myself unproductive there. I'm usually writing on my bed (not in it =P), sitting cross-legged and hunched over my screen and cringe-worthy angles. I get back-pains now because I do it so often. (I need to work on that...) I even have a chair at my desk that never gets any use.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

My desk, unfortunately, is almost in the living room, where my roommate has the TV on nearly all the time. It's a bad place to write. So I write, usually, in my bedroom, which is so small that I sit on the edge of the bed with my laptop on a table I have set up for the purpose.

We need to move to a bigger house, but financial issues make that impossible right now.

5. DeviouSquirrel

DeviouSquirrel Member

I sit in a chair somewhere with my laptop on my knee and with the TV or at least music on. I need some sort of noise and stuff or I just can't focus.

People being around and making noise doesn't annoy me as much as it used to, and I can deal with most stuff. I can't really deal with writing in a messy environment though, that's one thing I really need: tidiness.

But I often write best in bed/in front of the tv. I must be weird. :D I just like to be comfy and relaxed when I write.

6. Jethelin

Jethelin Member

I usually write at my computer desk with music on and sometimes the TV playing in the back ground if there is a good documentary playing. Something I can just listen to and not watch. Only for some for back ground noise. For some reason this seems to make me more productive than sitting in an empty room with nothing to distract me. I've also got a bit lucky before and caught a mistake in my project thanks to a documentary on a similar subject.

7. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

I'm writing at a wobbly little table in a corner of my kitchen, which works great for the creativity. No office-like chair, just an ordinary kitchen table chair in wood, which kind of force me to sit up straight, something I normally never do. no noise around be, preferably no people either, and absolutely no tv. (i don't even have a tv anymore.) only in rare occasions do I listen to music when I'm writing. normally it distracts me too much and I end up listening to it instead of writing.

8. TheSecretKeeper

TheSecretKeeper New Member

I am able to write in my bed with music playing, but definetly not in frount of the TV. At least, not yet. When I write, or plan writing like I'm doing now, I am easily distrated by the TV, but not so much by music. That might just be because music is only audio, and the TV calls to me to look at it's visual.

I do have a desk, but I rarely use it, since my chair has no backrest. Mostly I write sitting up on my bed with earphones blasting music into me. It's usualy quite productive, unless a good song comes on and have to sing along with it.

9. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I have to agree with you .
    I cannot write in total silence.
    My desk is next to the TV in our room and so it is always on but on low sounds.
    I like to keep uptodate with News and some programms.
    I have never actually tried to write in total silence because it does not appeal to me for some reason.
    Ever since I was little I have always used either a radion as a baground noise whilst writing.
    I am not sure I would like total silence either because it means total isolation to me which is obviously not something I like or want to have.

10. Kube

Kube Member

I say write wherever you feel comfortable. I have been just as unproductive at my desk as anywhere else. In time you'll learn to write wherever you are. The important thing is to get words on the page. Every writer's process is different and you need to find what's right for you. Have you tried writing in a public setting like a coffee shop or a restaurant? Bars can be fun and can give you a lot of inspiration.

11. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

At my desk up in my loft/bedroom. I like it to be quiet, so no music or TV.

Cup of tea and biscuits optional. :)

12. Jethelin

Jethelin Member

I love listening to music when it captures the mood of what I am writing about, the words flow like no other. Really triggers my creativity and lets me get into my own story more. Writing is amazing when you are living your story in your head while you write it.

13. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 Member

On the living room couch at night when everyone else is asleep.

14. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

I don't understand the masters of focus that can concentrate on a task while in a silent room. I believe that I have (undiagnosed) ADHD, and I find that I can much more easily focus on a task when a distraction is available, to fill up the part of my brain that would otherwise get bored and drag me away from the task.

15. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

I usually just write in my room, but I have to have music on. I usually play music that fits the style of writing I am doing, because it really helps me. I am not able to write in a silent room or anything of that sort. Anywhere that is comfortable I will most likely be writing at. :)

16. FoxPaw

FoxPaw Senior Member

I am diagnosed with ADHD and I have to write in a silent room with no one else in it or else I will easily get distracted. I have to plug my ears, close my eyes and focus completely on what I'm trying to plan out or else I can't get a word down, and that's only with the TV on low volume.

17. iamnotaweed

iamnotaweed New Member

That sounds like it would be completely frustrating.. Lately I've been trying to write more because I can actually see my plot unfolding so I'll email my last couple paragraphs to my work and try to work on it on my breaks and my lunch. That never works out as planned.. :p

18. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I write mainly in my room. Lately it has been too crowded to do that....

19. Prolixitasty

Prolixitasty Member

I write while I'm on the train or when I'm drunk at a club. I write when I'm sleeping in someones basement or when I'm driving on the highway. I write as I'm waiting for the bus or while I'm taking a shower. I write when I'm having conversations with my friends and when I'm kicking thai pads. I write before I sleep and I write while I'm dreaming.

When I'm at a desk I type. And do a bit of writing.

What is writing other than the physical manifestation of a thought, which is sometimes creative. That being said, I encrouage you to write as much as you can, whenever you want, wherever you can.

20. Cerika13

Cerika13 New Member

I write at my study desk every morning. Normally I like to listen to music while writing to enlightened my mood.

21. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

places/ways i have written:

at a desk; on a table, packing crate, or the john... in a bed, bathtub, taxi, car, restaurant, hotel, train/bus depot, any waiting room, or park... on a bus, plane, train, luxury liner, container ship, ferry...

with pen, pencil, marker, recorder... on paper, cardboard, desktop, laptop...

in the morning, afternoon, evening, night, or wee small hours [i keep paper/pen handy on the bed, since i often wake up with [or dream] an idea, write it down and go back to sleep]...

in other words, i write anytime, anywhere, with anything that's handy...

22. Yasin

Yasin Member

I dont really think it matters where. As long as you're able to think straight and you're comfortable.

23. EchoPark

EchoPark New Member

I wrote my most recent manuscript on a forklift in my brothers warehouse. I found it comforting, and I was near all the action yet far enough to concentrate easily. I found myself not able to write anywhere else for a long time.
    Before that I wrote at my apartment at a desk...quite boring really.

24. MVP

MVP Member

First I go to Sherwin Williams, and get all my spray on colors. Then I head to the nearest railway overpass at about 2 a.m. and...

25. joanna

joanna Active Member

I write at a desk. Or in bed. Or in a bean bag chair, or on the can, or on a friend's couch, or at a red light.

Today I'm writing at Denny's.