1. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

Where have you been?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by marcuslam, Mar 17, 2012.

I was born in Hong Kong, but I've been living in Australia for the past fifteen years. Last year, I returned to Hong Kong and made a stop in Japan, too. Unfortunately, I felt unwell during most of my ten days in Japan. That ruined things, but I did my best to have fun, anyway. I love Hong Kong to death. Maybe it's because of the nostalgia factor for me. I found the people there really friendly!

Which countries have you guys visited? Feel free to share your favorites. :)

2. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

One day I'll make it to Hong Kong.

My father is from Scotland so I've visited there quite a few times to see that side of my family. I can honestly say visiting northern Scotland is just amazing. It's beautiful and peaceful up there and so empty of civilization. Trying to find an automatic to rent though, pain in the behind.

Other than that, I've driven to Canada.

3. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Never been to Australia. Have been to Hong Kong, Japan, Korea more the a few times and several other Asian countries at least once. Been to Europe a few times. A lot of it has been on business so you don't get the sight see much as you'd like. And yes no matter where I went the people were friendly. The thing to keep in mind is the culture of the place your in.

4. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

I've been to Korea, Dubai and now UK. Soon I'll go to Malaysia and then Australia to get married. ;] We'll probably go see Hong Kong as well since he's Chinese.
    I love Korea, it's beautiful and peaceful. The Asian Culture in China, Korea and Japan always attracted me. I just love the traditional feel of it.

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, while I haven't left my own country yet, I have been to some of the important historical cities/battlesites of my country like Philadelphia, Gettysburg, etc. I've bought souviners such as a Colonial-style hat, and a Confederate and Union soldier hat.

I've stood on the top of Stone Mountain in Georgia, and here's a little funny story for you all. On the way down (we went via cart down a wire, forgot the name of it), a kid literally screamed upon takeoff from the mountain, "NOT SO FAST!!" Whether he was just trying to get a rise out of us, or he actually thought the car we were in was about to take a nasty plunge, I don't know. However, one of the staff riding with us said, "...And I think one of us may have over-exaggerated things just a hair..." before assuring us that things were all good.

In his defense, the car did jolt a bit when we took off, and we were pretty high up over the tree line with a clear view of the ground below, as well as the mountain behind us.

EDIT: I plan on visiting the UK, France, and Germany one day. Maybe spend a year or two in those three countries. (I'd probably have to find a part-time job and a flat to live in, 'cause I don't think anyone wants some tourist living there for a year or two without doing something in return...)

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I grew up in Canada. I've been through most of the USA, including Hawaii, and I spent four months in Australia back in the 80s. I spent about six months in Japan on business about eleven years ago. I've crossed the Pacific many times, but I have never crossed the Atlantic. I've never been to Europe, though I'd love to go - my family's roots are there. I've never been to Africa, either.

I would love to return to Australia - great people! And I'd also love to visit New Zealand. And Brazil - I'd love to go to the beaches of Rio de Janeiro.

7. cerb123

cerb123 New Member

Japan, Guam, Philippines, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Denmark, England, Mexico and Iceland. That sounds about right. Liked every one of them but Norway too.

8. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I haven't travelled much, and only within europe so far (netherlands, london, germany, finland, greece, and San Marino and Monaco!! :D). I stayed over 4 years in Italy though and have travelled a lot of places within Italy and I loved it, but some stuff more or less forced me to go back home. I still miss it! I want to visit the US in the future and even see more of europe, like spain, france and more of england, since the first time I was only a weekend in london, I'd like to see the smaller cities and the countryside too.

9. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I haven't traveled that much yet, considering I'm only a poor student. ;) I live in Belgium and have been to the Netherlands, France, Portugal and Spain. I haven't been to Germany yet, even though it's pretty much next door... Oh well- one day, I'll travel.

10. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I haven't travelled as much as I'd like and my top destination is India for the elephants. ;D I live in England and have been to Isle of Wight, Jersey, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. As for elsewhere, France, Spain, Italy, and America.

11. Link the Writer

^ You can go to Africa and see African elephants in their natural habitat! 8D

12. Eunoia

^ Aye! But Africa has more diseases and whatnot so India is my preferred option. ;P

13. Link the Writer

But you can be vaccinated for most of them! You think they're just gonna let you meander about Africa without protection from diseases? Plus, India has its own fair share of sicknesses.

C'mon, girl, you want to go to Africa. <does a Jedi Mind Trick> You want to go to Africaaaa, and see African elephaaaants...

14. Eunoia

Are you an Africa fanatic or something? ;P

I do want to go to Africa as well! It's just India>Africa. I like Indian culture as well and stuff. ;D And yeah, I know there are vaccinations but I'm not the biggest fan of needles. ;P

15. Link the Writer

^ Girl, I've been obsessed with Egypt and the African wildlife since I was, like, 5 years old.

16. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

India has as many diseases as Africa. (My Aunty got dysentry in India).

My travel has mostly been within the UK and Europe -- and usually to dig in dirt or lounge on a beach!. Norway for work, Variety of places in Spain for work and recreation, Morocco and Tunisia, both work and recreation.

I got engaged to a man from California so I have been to San Diego (which is amazing), and the Mojave Desert. Visting his family we have been to Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Colorado. Also Las Vegas as we drove there.

17. Aramis

Aramis New Member

I have spent six years in Japan and six more in Hong Kong. Shorter spells in New York, Dublin and Sydney. I have visited most of Europe and Asia but have never been to Africa or South America (but there is still time). Currently in London.

18. Eunoia

Aha awesome. Yet it's not on your to visit list...?

Darn it.

19. Link the Writer

When I actually have money, I shall go!

EDIT: Eunoy, you'll just have to accept that diseases are everywhere, and that some countries haven't fully gotten rid of some of the bad ones. Don't let that stop you from actually wanting to go to India.

20. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've been pretty much everywhere around the Mediterranean, Amsterdam twice (guess why), Paris, and I used to live in the Highlands. I go to Scotland every year to visit family sites, been a few times to Southern England: Cornwall, London, Bornemouth, Chichester. I want to visit the south some more. I also want to visit New England - particularly Maine, Vermont and Massachusetts. And I would love to go to Germany, and Russia.

21. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i made this list for another thread like this one:

Where in the world I’ve been/lived:

N. AMERICA

US
    Arizona
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    District of Columbia
    Florida
    Georgia
    Hawaii
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Montana
    Nebraska
    Nevada
    New Hampshire
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Northern Marianas Islands
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Virgin Islands
    Washington
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

CANADA
    Alberta
    British Columbia
    Manitoba
    New Brunswick
    Ontario
    Quebec
    Saskatchewan

MEXICO
    Baja from
    Tijuana
    to
    la Paz
    Casas Grandes
    Guaymas
    Hermosillo
    Mazatlan
    Playa del Carmen
    Puerto Vallarta
    [am heading to Melaque, on the coast of Jalisco next month, for a 6-month house-sit]

CARIBBEAN

ANTIGUA
    ARUBA
    BAHAMAS
    CAYMAN ISLANDS
    JAMAICA
    PUERTO RICO
    ST. KITTS
    ST. MARTIN
    TRINIDAD

CENTRAL AMERICA

PANAMA
    Colon

SOUTH AMERICA

VENEZUELA
    Caracas
    COLOMBIA
    Bogota [my current location]
    Cartagena

AFRICA

ALGERIA
    EGYPT
    MOROCCO

MIDDLE EAST

ISRAEL
    JORDAN
    TURKEY

EUROPE

AUSTRIA
    BELGIUM
    ENGLAND
    FRANCE
    GERMANY
    GIBRALTAR
    GREECE
    Athens
    Delfi
    Patras
    Thessaloniki
    Islands:
    Corfu
    Crete
    Delos
    Mykonos
    Naxos
    Paros
    Rhodes
    Samos
    Santorini
    ITALY
    JERSEY
    LIECHTENSTEIN
    MONACO
    NETHERLANDS
    PORTUGAL
    SPAIN
    SWITZERLAND
    VATICAN CITY
    [and all countries passed through on Orient Express from Paris to Athens]

MEDITERRANEAN
    CYPRUS
    MAJORCA
    MALTA
    SICILY

PACIFIC

AUSTRALIA*
    NEW ZEALAND
    SAIPAN
    TINIAN

ASIA

JAPAN*
    KOREA*
    THAILAND
    [*airports only]

...my 2 most favorite places to live are the greek islands [especially mykonos] and the hopi mesas in northern arizona...

22. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Advantage of having relatives from/in various places = travelling to visit them, from a young age. We also moved a lot because of my dad's work.

I grew up in England, Germany and New Zealand.

I've visited Italy several times, Wales, France, Austria, Switzerland, passed through Belgium, went to Toronto for a while with my dad. (To see what it would be like to live there.) Seen a fair bit of the South East and South West of England, but someday need to make it up North, especially to Liverpool.

Quite would like to go back to Rome and visit Barcelona, Vienna and Prague.

23. Eunoia

mammamaia: Whoa, you've certainly been around. ;o Lucky!

Yeah, I know and I won't. :)

24. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

My first response to this was o_O because my experience of UK and beaches are tainted by the one sunny day and all the pale bodies at a beach in Scotland.

That is one thing I want to do, actually leave Scotland when I visit there and see England and Whales. Unfortunately, even as an adult, I get guilt-ed out of those plans because I feel no need to make my Grand worry. I gave her enough worry driving up the northern Scotland with calls such as "Just to verify, I thought us American's were suppose to be rude, and it was generally accepted that you move the wait spot on your side..." and "Uh, the sign says something about gears... considering it's a steep incline and I don't want to fall to my death, what do I do about that it an automatic?"

To be honest, before I die, I want to visit every country and get lost in them.

25. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

LOL I live about three miles from a beach and spend a lot of time there in all weathers. Something about being freezing cold near the sea is amazing ;)