1. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

Where I'm at.

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by joeh1234, Jun 16, 2016.

I decided I would start a progress journal as so many others have not necessarily for interaction with other users of the forum, but as a place to just type my thoughts and where I am up to.
    I am writing my second novel at present with the premise that it will appeal to a mainstream audience as my first attempt at a novel whilst I enjoyed it and think the story is really unique is a little self indulgent and it could be a lot better (hopefully I will revisit it one day).
    With that said my new story is called "An Unwanted Man" This works on a couple of different levels with the story, unwanted in love and then wanted by the police and then not wanted as a criminal but wanted for his assistance to catch a criminal.
    Anyway I am at 20,500 words at present about 14 chapters, started chapter 15 today. I think where I previously had an issue with breaking the 50k word count, in my head this story has potential to get past that point easily.
    My main character is building nicely, his newly found romance is progressing nicely, the main story is progressing...you guessed it nicely.
    My plan is to have a first draught finished my the end of July, I won't be unhappy if it goes into august. I then plan on taking a week away from it and revising it there after and having a finished fully revised novel done by end of September at which point I will give it to people to read.
    After that Uni starts again in October so progress will slow to a crawl but that's fine. Also have a wife and two kids full time job so at any point life my decide to throw a few challenges but I shall do as I always do and just get on with it.

Kerilum and Oscar Leigh like this.
  2. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

I didn't intend on writing this evening when I returned home. I had eaten myself into a pizza endued headache. I remember reading or hearing once that the more you eat the more your body sends blood to your stomach. With no blood left to go to my brain because it was assisting in the digestive process of a glutinous amount of pizza, I ended up with a pretty bad head ache which is still with my now. So i went to bed at 9pm, seriously early for me i'm normally a midnight/1 am type of guy. I lay for an hour staring at the ceiling trying to sleep but idea's being the evil little creatures they can be sometimes, were knocking for release.
    Word count now at 21,713

also wrote a couple of hundred words of basic notes, different things that have come to me to improve the story and characters.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

In work on my dinner thought I would re-read what I wrote last night, for some reason 700 words have disappeared from one drive. I am properly gutted. I can make them up easy enough but that is really annoying.

4. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

well that might have been a blessing in disguise, chapter 15 completed (again) and part way through 16
    Word count 22,264.

5. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

hit a sticking point tonight whilst typing chapter 17. A small hurdle but essential i get it spot on. It is imperative for one of the layers in my story to work and make sense.
    the metaphorical pen has been put down at 24,379 words most of the way through chapter 17.
    More notes being written to be added to the first revision after the first draft is complete, no point going back now and adding them, i think at least anyway. Anyone reading this what doi you do in this situation go back and add or sort out on the revisit?

6. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

At a point where i am still apprehensive about committing to a characters future, not the MC but a very close second. Introduced another potential murderer. Interestingly this story has transformed from what i originally intended as a love story with a twist to a murder mystery with a love story that has a twist. I think the main character whilst he isn't the strongest character just yet the concept of his character could work in a series.
    word count 25229

7. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

I am going to stop posting word count for a while and just say chapter numbers instead as word online keeps changing its mind, again another 700 words have gone missing.

8. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

Finished 18 and most of 19. Main character has just been charged $14 dollars for a drink, I tell you fictional prices of alcohol are going through the roof. Must be the fictional taxes, to pay for fictional politicians, to go on fictional Holidays, to fictional destinations. Those fictional spongers.