1. Stammis

Stammis Contributing Member

Where is your ideal workplace?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Stammis, Nov 17, 2015.

I read an article about how to create an inspirational workplace. She included that it should be clutter free and neatly organised. To me that sounds like the opposite of an inspirational workplace.

If I worked somewhere it would be a place with personality, odd things on the walls where everything has a history. Preferably historical buildings of some kind.

What do you guys think? Where is your ideal workplace?

2. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

I'm usually good working wherever. When I was living with my parents I'd often write on my bed before going to sleep, or on a tray table while sitting on the couch. After moving out I've done all my work on my coffee table sitting on the couch. But I also jot notes whenever I think of something, wherever that is. I also used to write in college, either at my desk or in the library or at lunch or during class or...

I just need my laptop. Ideal location be damned.

3. Stammis

I agree. To write, I can do that anywhere. As long as the air is comfortable. But I am talking about the ideal place, because you need to see things and hear things to write with emotion. For instance, I had trouble visualizing a forest that my characters was traveling through. After visiting a national park here in Cambodia I got extremely inspired and wrote almost 5000 words in a day.

4. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

I don't think I have that need, so much. I'm more of a barebones description kind of person. My POV characters react to their environment, sure, but usually just to the stimuli going on that are story-relevant. I don't need to visualize a forest because I don't describe the forest. I say "forest" and let the reader invent the forest. But if there's a deer jumping out of the forest right in the path of my MC's car, that's something I'll be describing and having her react to.

But it's different strokes for different folks. Some prefer that kind of visual stimulation. Some authors are more "method" than others, for lack of a better term.

5. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

brightly lit room, preferably natural light with a comfortable chair and nicely positioned desk. I wait til my kids are in bed so i can focus more. I dont mind "clutter" but of course i like to keep a clean house so we dont tend to have much clutter unless its small things in my area like headphones, cups, and all other desk crap.

6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

I like a balance. If my desk is messy it's because I don't have the five minutes it would take to clear it, so for me a tidy desk means I'm in control and not pushed to my limits. My office has around 90 desks and there are only two people who have a consistently messy desk, so I would say that is pretty universal.

But I do like personal touches and a hint of personality. In our room we have a white board where people (residents or visitors from the main office) draw pictures or leave funny remarks. We have our own beautifully decorated Christmas tree (ahem). Most of us have a few personal items on our desk, whether it's a picture of our kids or a souvenir from a holiday or whatever. We laugh as well as work and it makes all the difference.

7. RikWriter

RikWriter Member

I write better sitting in bed with my laptop than anywhere else.

8. Stammis

I tried that, but I am so easily distracted by everything else. Meaning I go watch an episode of adventure time, gravity falls, steven universe or whatever. Simply, I take much more breaks when I am alone in my room.

9. Stammis

Do you ever change the environment? Travel, to seek inspiration?

10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Bite the bullet, do your own thing. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    My living room littered in chaos. It breeds creativity. :D

11. Tenderiser

I don't understand why this is directed at me?

12. Stammis

You don't have to answer if you don't want to...

13. Tenderiser

I know, I'm just confused!

14. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

Hi,

For me I don't care. I like silence and peace. Main thing is that I can be alone with my thoughts and a lot of coffee / chocolate!

Cheers, Greg.

15. Lifeline

Lifeline The Dark - not in Wonderland Supporter Contributor

Sitting in my garden, with a glass of Strongbow and headphones on :). At the moment (winter) I have to wear really warm clothes (about two thick coates and fingerless gloves), and always have a big umbrella and a canvas ready to hide under for when rain tries to eject me. So far rain has been out of luck! :twisted:

16. Haze-world

Haze-world Senior Member Supporter

Seriously? To write???
    If so, you are tough and so is your laptop!
    o_O

17. Lifeline

No, (*grin* yes I and my laptop are tough but not like you mean) it is just a question of proper preparation :p

I just try to anticipate whatever may happen and the thing which most often causes me to consider standing up is a) either cold or b) rain. Or c) no Strongbow :D. So I prepare. And you won't believe, but a canvas is also very warming when you hide under. I admit, to jam the umbrella between wall and chair, to cover both me and my laptop is a trick (and I don't make any promises regarding dry shoes if you don't use a canvas) - but if you practice I promise you will manage :p

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Haze-world likes this.
  18. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

Some Ph.D. students back in university used to say that the more natural their writing areas were for the dissertations, the easier it was. It almost seemed like they were saying let your space become overvegetated with your personal fungus and moss.

19. Haze-world

Well, of course I shouldn't find it so strange, as after all, I am in fact sipping a cool (bloody freezing!) glass of champagne up a tree in our garden. There is a stupid great owl screeching in my ear, but my powers of concentration are superb. It is a bit chilly, I have to say and a neighbour just walked past, eyeing the tree (I have a torch on) and I don't think she's ever seen a pink sheep up a tree before, from her language, let alone typing on her netbook!
    :supertongue:

Lifeline likes this.
  20. Lifeline

Haze, you actually almost made me doubt myself :D

Actually, the more difficult the space, the easier it is to write for me. I can remember standing wedged tight in a train between sweaty people, with a folded paper about the size of my palm, scribbling like mad. But that's just me :p

Haze-world likes this.
  21. Haze-world

Yes, I know exactly what you mean! Once I accidentally fell down a pothole. You wouldn't believe the luck, I had my netbook with me and what about this? I actually got signal, talk about luck. I found that in this strangely stressful situation I was able to keep my wits (unusual for a sheep, I know, but I did). I might even go so far as to say, that time stood still (it felt like an age!!!) and I was soo productive. I managed to write five chapters before my owner found me. It took a while because she wasnt answering her sodding emails or texts. There is nothing like being in a tight space for focussing the mind!

22. Lifeline

Someone believe me? Please? It's true! :bigoops:

Haze-world likes this.
  23. Haze-world

Angelic humble pink sheep chuckles!
    :supergrin: