1. mywrittentruth

mywrittentruth New Member

Where to go in publishing?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by mywrittentruth, Oct 4, 2012.

I have wrote several stories and have since combined them in a meaningful way the problem I guess I want to clarify is where to go to get something published when its:
    1.Loss Fantasy - Largely realistic but not physically possible
    2.Romance - basic not the main plot but adds to the conflict and resolution of a single character which adds to the story as a whole
    3.Crime - basis of main character
    4.Mystery - basic plot suspense add on and builds to antagonists and character growth/ development
    5.An intended series - growing story
    6. history - cultural background ties into main character, romance and plot
    7.Thriller - Lots of plot twists and a negative/ positive symbiosis.
    8. Horror - effects character development and over all story
    9. Political - Slightly increases setting development
    10. Religious aspects adding to plot.
    Does the Fantasy override it in genre? Is it more then just a fantasy novel? I can give small details to clarify but do not want to publicly publish the story that has been years in the making as I have wrote single stories on one aspect of the many sub-plots
    Any help would be great as I am in the final stages of polishing and would love to see this off where I send it and how do I wrap all this up in a compelling short explanation of the book. I have them numbered close to importance. Thanks ahead of time.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if it takes place in a fantasy setting and/or fantasy elements are key to the plot, then yes, it's a fantasy novel...

and, fyi, correct grammar is 'have written'... not 'have wrote'... if your grammar in the ms is similarly flawed, you'll need to do a very careful proofread/edit before submitting it, if you want it to have any chance of being published...

3. cogitatio182

cogitatio182 New Member

I would suggest looking into a literary agent to get your book published if you want to be published traditionally. I haven't read through this site completely, but it looks like a spot to get started.

If you want to self-publish then you should work toward building a following a people who want to buy the book. Check out this guy for some ideas, though he's mainly a non-fiction author, he recommends building a tribe of people who support your book. Also, you could try to release it on Amazon as an EBook, but people need to know it's there through some kind of marketing.

I would market it by its setting and plot. What will your audience think it is when they read it? That'll be your genre.

4. mywrittentruth

mywrittentruth New Member

Thank you for the input. I have spent many hours fine tuning the novel, fixing all grammatical errors and am going to have one slightly better with grammar go through it and tie up all the loss ends. Sorry I was alive with coffee this morning after a 24 hour day, thank you though for the help. I have never tried publishing a novel before and did not want to send it to someone who is expecting more fantasy then my mine provides. I do have a small base to get the book out there, I am a Intermediate Studies major pursuing a career in the FBI, my peers are anxiously awaiting the publishing to get a copy, that is if it makes it that far. However thanks again for the help.

5. mammamaia

what does that mean/entail?

6. moscowwoah

moscowwoah New Member

Can you clarify if this is a collection of short stories? They're really hard to get published when you first start. They're going to want a novel, and if that works, they'll be more apt to look at a collection of your short stories.

If you are looking, and intent on getting a collection of short, fantastical stories published, I'd point you in the direction of small publishers, or possibly an e-book publisher. If it sells well, a bigger publisher will pick it up.

7. mammamaia

'sells well' = tens of thousands of copies, which only happens extremely rarely...