1. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Researching Publishing

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Keitsumah, May 26, 2014.

Hey guys, I know this may seem weird at first, (yes, i know our site has a list of many publishers to look at) but I was wondering if there are any publishers that are willing to take in e-mails, or some sort of communication as for questions as to what they are specifically looking for in genres, and sub-genres.

I'm already in close contact with a New-York Times bestseller and go to writing workshops with her (note: Victorine E. Lieske has finished her new novellete, Accidentally Married and I helped her edit it with our group. It is by far one of the most hilarious books i have seen), but I'd like more contacts other than just one. I know self publishing is becoming an increasingly good idea, but i just think i may need more experienced people to help me out (don't worry im not dropping you guys off my help-list i just like having lots of different views). They have more of a feel as for what my audience wants in particular i think (one advantage of publishing traditionally), and I would like to be sure that is exactly what i am giving them. My writing group is also more focused on historical novels, sci-fi, and romance, so I'm the one fantasy they got. Hence i think a fantasy publisher that I can just e-mail every once in a while with questions would be a big help.

andrew smith likes this.
  2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

most, if not all now accept emails and all have telephones...

publisher listing sites and each publisher's own website list what genres they accept... there's no need to email or call to ask them...

what kinds of questions?... publishers are not likely to do this for any but their own authors... all the info new writers might need will be available on their websites...

andrew smith likes this.
  3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What you're looking for is probably more like a mentor who also currently works in the industry publishing fantasy novels. Your best bet is either befriend one such person who's willing to help or else hire one for a fee. I really doubt any publishers would do what you're asking for here - they have their own authors to deal with and making their own authors' books sellable is their highest priority. As for you, they don't even know if there's any point in helping you because for all they know, your work isn't publishable (not saying it isn't, but these publishers can't know that).

andrew smith likes this.
  4. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

I'm not sure that people you don't know would be willing to spend a lot of time helping you - unless you're publishing something with them, or working with them as your agent. Getting to know people who are interested in the genre in which you write, or work in books of that genre, might be a good idea though. I think writing groups, conferences and other face-to-face events could be a better way to attempt this than by email.

andrew smith likes this.