1. cumbriart

cumbriart New Member

Absence/Empty rooms in literature

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by cumbriart, Aug 2, 2009.

Hello.

I am currently undertaking postgraduate research for a Fine Art MA. The crux of my work addresses absence of human presence, usually in architectural spaces. I want to expand my research beyond the visual and hoped some of the forum users may be aware of any well known (or perhaps even better, less well known) writers who's work tackles the same subject or something similar. I confess to being anything but widely read in fiction so anything, no matter how obvious would be most welcome indeed.

Thank you so much in anticipation,

C

2. islaismarla

islaismarla New Member

My, your work sounds mighty interesting...could you perhaps elaborate a bit on the subject? your talking about empty spaces, but do you mean metaphorically - like the absence of souls within humanity, or absolutely, quite literally; areas of space that have never been touched by human life?

I'll try to help you if I can
    Kerry :love:

3. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

So you're looking for a book in which the theme is the absence of human presence? What in the heck does that mean? Are you talking like a latch-key kid or something? Maybe, someone who comes home every day to an empty home? Or maybe some sort of existential work like The Stranger by Camus?

4. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Off the top of my head, House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski came to mind.

5. islaismarla

islaismarla New Member

I'm not sure what you're looking for but I'd offer

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro