1. bumble bee

bumble bee Member

Idea for character development?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by bumble bee, Jul 4, 2015.

I use a coaching app, where you set your own goals and 'check in' when you've done them- (it then tells you you're amazing and makes little graphs of your progress- great for encouraging writing!)

I was looking up how to do something on their site and they had examples with Game of Thrones characters.

It got me thinking, is this a useful way to flesh out characters' priorities/personalities?

The idea I had was that you would set your characters goals that illustrated something about them, rather than the plot.

So Bilbo's goal wouldn't be, 'Steal treasure from Smaug' but something like, "be more assertive: Day 14: I told Thorin I didn't always want to be the one to fetch the water. He said I had to do it anyway"

I had a bit of fun with it anyway :)

A J Phillips and Simpson17866 like this.
  2. jen_writer

jen_writer Member

Sounds fun. I love Game of thrones. I try not to make goals for myself these days as it'd end up an entire page of books to read, stories to write, yoga/exercise ever day, this to clean and that to clean... etc And I find myself with no time to sit down and do what I want right at that moment. That also makes getting into a writing routine difficult.

Simpson17866 and Mattiemae like this.
  3. Mattiemae

Mattiemae Member

I make lists rather than goals. It can be overwhelming for some people to put all their goals down in one place. If you make a list of five things to achieve a day it makes it more simple.

4. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I like it ;)

Mattiemae likes this.
  5. Eliza Rain

Eliza Rain Member

I think it'd be a fun little thing for you to do to start out learning about a new character. Neat'o idea! :]

6. A J Phillips

A J Phillips Active Member

This sounds like so much fun. Matter of fact, I am going to do the same thing. Thanks :)

7. MariaAllen

MariaAllen New Member

Well, it's a good idea! :)