1. silverfall

silverfall New Member

Which tense do you use?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by silverfall, Dec 21, 2010.

This is something I could never make my mind about.

Is it more effective to use Present or Past tense when writing a story? Also which is more commonly used.

I kind of like Present better but I'm not sure if it would be more effective to use the Past.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Most people use past - I tend to use it for historical works, general fiction etc.

My first story was about a 17 year old boy and present tense portrayed him better. Do what works for your story but be aware some people have a prejudice and won't read something in present tense.

3. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

La Jolla, CA (and Mission Viejo, CA, during the su
    Both tenses can be effective. Past seems to come more naturally to a lot of people, and it does enable for slightly more perspective in the novel; for instance, you comment on things in retrospect and understand their significance. But with present tense, you can really get into the moment and the description can feel all the more vivid because of it.

Past is more commonly used, but not ridiculously so. There are plenty of books that have used present tense effectively, including Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes.

For my part, I've tried both past and present, but I work best with past. I have trouble making present flow correctly, or something. But I don't mind reading things in present. I think both could work; it's just kind of up to you.

4. Jonalexher

Jonalexher Contributing Member

Third person past tense is the one used the most. You'll see it in the majority of popular novels these days.

Example:
    Zack never really liked any conflict, he tried to avoid anything that could lead to it. But sometimes, he couldn't.
    "Hey..." said Zack without making eye contact as he exited the arena, "didn't expect to see you here."

5. Klogg

Klogg Member

I write in past tense. I started a story earlier today, attempting to use the present tense. I got about 3 paragraphs into it before I went back and changed it to past. It was too difficult. Or at least, too much of a change from what I've done for years.

From the beginning of storytelling history, it's been told in past tense. Troubadours told stories of things that have happened. The present tense would mean they are acting out the story at that moment. If the story is about the speaker themselves it raises the question,"How can you be doing what you say, you're sitting right here telling a story?"

If the speaker is relating the experience of another, it's "How do you know what he's doing 60 leagues away when you're sitting here telling a story?"

Stories are by nature an account of what has already passed. It is only in the relatively recent past that present tense has become an accepted practice.

6. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I tend to write in the present tense, but the critiques here who viewed my novel rather for me to write in the past tense. I really don't see why writing in the present tense is bad. If it works for me, then why not choose present tense?

7. Jonalexher

Jonalexher Contributing Member

If it flows nice, and you can get a compelling story across to us, then I see nothing wrong with it :]