Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Who’s Paying the Pro-War Pundits?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by GingerCoffee, Sep 16, 2014.

Talking heads like former General Jack Keane are all over the news media fanning fears of ISIS. Shouldn’t the public know about their links to Pentagon contractors?
    Here I am again with mixed feelings, should we be worried about these terrorists or not. :rolleyes:

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

If you look deep enough your going to find a link to everything. Micro managing never works.

Mike Hill likes this.
  3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

From what I've read, ISIS was never a direct threat to the US. This is according to President Obama and several senior members in the DOD and DHS.

4. Lewdog

I think that is pretty hard to say when ISIS is using U.S. equipment and vehicles to do their damage and are beheading Americans.

Mike Hill likes this.
  5. GingerCoffee

The point is not so much that a lobbyist/war profiteer is giving their opinion on the news, after all, if your career was the military chances are you think military intervention is a good idea.

The issue is the news media interviewing said pundit while not disclosing those ties when said expert is introduced. Don't you think a conflict of interest is worth mentioning when you introduce an expert?

6. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I certainly do, but I think you're expecting way too much integrity from today's press.

7. Lewdog

I think the burden of that lies on the people who choose these people to do the interviews with. If a person is known to have met with ISIS in the past and might be sympathetic to them, then the interviewer should simply not interview them. They are going to be biased and not be a fair interview. So point is, if the interviewer does a job of being unbiased, there is no point of putting that information out there.

8. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

1984!

9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

IS has never, and will not at least for some time, be an actual threat to the US or the UK. They are, however, a threat to the people in the middle east, and the US does have at least some responsibility for their existence.

The question is, can you sit back and allow the screams of the dying innocent float across the winds, or would you rather hear the screams of the dying guilty and the innocent? Your choice, because I'm yet to hear a realistic third option.

10. GingerCoffee

I don't disagree with @Lemex's comments but when Democracy Now points out that of 200 war commentators on the major news networks, only six were against war, it concerns me.

No Debate: Antiwar Voices Absent from Corporate TV News Ahead of U.S. Attacks on Iraq & Syria
    I continue to have mixed emotions. Are these ISIS idiots going to slaughter people in the name of God until they are wiped off the planet, or will the religious fanaticism burn itself out?

And since I believe so far we made it worse not better, are we responsible to fix it or are we making it worse still?

The lack of debate on the mainstream media does not give me confidence people have the information they need to make such determinations.

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

How you answer those two questions will depend on if you believe IS believe their own press - if they really are wanting to found a new Caliphate, or are just thugs looking to create mayhem and just got lucky. I tend to believe them when they say they want to restart an islamic empire - I have no reason to doubt them that they say it.

I realize that might not be a very good argument, especially to a western person, but believe me, I know (since I've personally been to the 'Islamic world') that Islam over there is not like Christianity here. Here were we are more-or-less secular and can live life without religion if we wish - over there it's not like that, you can't really get away from it. When people make professions about faith, it means something more than what it would mean to you and me.

I can't say I fully agree with what I wrote back in September anymore - but I do still think the US has created this movement. IS have particularly nasty ideology, and no amount of rational discussion seems to make a difference to them. They want blood, and they are scarily good at getting it.

Should you worry? I'm not, I don't personally feel like IS will negatively affect my life in any way, all this is happening half a world away from me. If I lived in Greece or Israel, though, I'd be more nervous.

Should we as the western world do something? That's for others to decide.

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

Deciding who should be interviewed "because they will be biased" is censorship.

Only interviewing people who will give a balanced view will lead to boring TV.

Balance is about letting the people hear both biased points of view.

I remember when Ian Smith declared UDI in Rhodesia there were a lot of statements on TV from both sides...the bias was so compelling that my father commented that he fully supported whichever side he HADN'T just heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.