Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

16 year old girl and I write whatever comes to mind -- I don't have a type, really. :)

2. MissLotty

MissLotty New Member

Im a Lotty, 22. Ever so slightly lost. Very bipolar. Lead a very random exsistant and love my two kittens Bella and India more than life its self. I write raunchy sex pieces, fantasy and real life experiences.... Would anyone be offended if I posted a sex/romance piece?

3. Orcalot

Orcalot Member

I live in Ireland with 2 dogs and 3 cats. I'm an artist, female, and according to my birth cert I'll be 40 next Wednesday, although how that happened I've no idea. I paint animals mostly, with pet portraits as my bread and butter (ie.I'm broke and hungry for the most part) I've a ridiculous obsession with killer whales. I was lucky enough to kayak with them off the west coast of Canada back in 2003, and as a result I'm insanely jealous of anyone who lives in British Colombia. I write bits and pieces of stories, poems, journals, anything really. I also write press releases for the local newspapers on behalf of an art gallery I'm involved with. I'm attempting to write my first novel, but so far all I've managed to do is get procrastination down to a fine art. I only joined the forum a week or so ago, and I'm enjoying it very much so far. :D

flawed personality likes this.
  4. Son44

Son44 New Member

17 Years old from Norway. I don't have a favourite genre, but I write and read mostly short stories. Been very lazy latley, but im trying to become active on this forum. It'll keep me going

5. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

I'm a 33 years old man, etero, from a country not for young people, I write because I was raised watching certain shows and reading certain books so I always wished to make my own story to carry on the genre and give my modest contribution to the World's literature or Cinema.

6. Lord Malum

Lord Malum New Member

I am a 25 year old, self-aware brain processing information at the quantum level at nearly the speed of light who controls a carbon based extension with which I usually write science fiction.

7. JennieRose8

JennieRose8 New Member

I'm a 35-year-old mom who mostly writes Christian Romance. My MC's are usually young women, though I do have one MC who is a woman near 30. Mainly, I'm aiming for an audience of young women, anyway, so this makes sense.

I feel so humbled when I read some of the other posts here. So many are so highly educated and I am a simple housewife. :) But I hope to learn from others on this site.

8. Rascal

Rascal New Member

18-year-old dude, born and raised in the good old US of A. I have experimented and tried various different type of main characters, but my general tenancy is to write about young men (like 13-17). The whole coming of age scenario seems to be a theme in my writing. I think the reason I do that is because I like telling stories about people going through changes in their lives (and lets face it, everyone changes when they turn 13).

9. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Straight female. Born in the USA. Have done some fairly extensive traveling and have lived in a lot of different places.

I had the great good fortune of having a grandmother who was a groundbreaking, earth shaking woman (really!) who believed that one's gender didn't define who they were or what they could do. She also had a great passion for reading and instilled that love in her grandchildren. One of the biggest selling points when I bought my house was the fact that there are bookshelves in EVERY room. No. Really. Every room. Even in the hallway!

I grew up reading every genre and just about anything I could get my hands on, regardless of what it was about. I learned early on not only to be an analytical and critical reader but to appreciate all forms of writing. (Much to the chagrin of those whose work I proof and/or copyedit, I also learned to respect the written word and have a hard time accepting sloppy writing or people who don't bother to proof their own work because, "It's not real writing. It's just a post". (My clients learn quickly they'd better do the groundwork before I see it or I'll do a human version of a paper shredder on them before I tackle their work!)) Yes. Sometimes I, too, have typos that slip through. I am human. But I try hard not to let that happen and I'm so embarrassed when I discover those errors in my writing, be it in a manuscript or in a forum post or even in a grocery list!

So ... what do I write? All forms, all genres, all styles. it just depends on what moves me - Romance, Adventure, police drama, family saga, spy thriller, fantasy, scifi, historical, children's, non-fiction. You name it, I've probably got a ms for it. My G taught me well!

10. Phruizler

Phruizler New Member

Phruizler

20-year-old male, living in Canada. Right now I'm working on completing a BSc in physics.

I write a lot of short pieces, most of them mildly surrealist in their settings, but with characters who are or were once grounded. I really enjoy letting events and settings get completely out of hand/bizarre for characters who would otherwise lead normal lives.

What I want to write, and I suppose what I am writing now that I've decided to get a novel underway, is science-fiction and speculative fiction.

11. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

18 years old. Female. Student. New Zealander.

I write mystery/thriller novels (often with a supernatural twist, but not always) and I normally have multiple MCs, both female and male.

12. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

I'm 39, male and live in Newcastle, Australia.
    I tend to write science fiction. I enjoy fantasy but without an interesting setting, fiction drama stories I find dull. I can get that by listening to hairdressers gossip. :p

Somehow I seem to have written a string of werewolf stories, though with a science foundation rather than mystic curses and whatnot. Werewolf stories are not my main interest at all, but somehow I got dragged into the genre.

For themes I love space, steampunk, dystopian futures and fantastic places. I do enjoy anthro stories but the good ones are few and far between.

My characters are usually Australian, and set in Australian locations. This is simply because I'm not convinced I could write a convincing foreigner in a foreign land and not be abused by the locals from that place for doing a rough job of it. :p

I'm reasonably well travelled and have worked in a variety of industries over the years so I have a reasonable spectrum of technical knowledge, though I'm no expert in anything. I've been writing dry and dull technical documentation (manuals, reports, policies and procedures) for years, and writing has been an enjoyable creative outlet.
    Some years back I wrote a few things for fun, but it's only in the last 12 months I took it up as a proper hobby.

I'm always seeking to improve, but I have no intention of trying to be published. I recognise that my ability is nowhere near that level, and the chances of it are slim even if I was.

13. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

You actually listen to Hairdressers Gossip? Are you nuts or gluten for pain? :eek:

14. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

Well, when she has you by the ears to stop you moving your head while she trims your hair, you do tend to focus on the conversations around you. Well, I do anyway.
    (you know you're getting old when they trim your eyebrows without asking :( )

Oh great, now I'm hungry for almonds and bread...
    Lucky I'm not gluten intolerant! :p

flawed personality likes this.
  15. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

ROTFLMAO. Now I know you are insane.:redface: You know I had an Australia friend on another forum. It must be the country but you guys are a lot of fun on forums.

16. LaGs

LaGs Banned

I'm a 20 year old law student from Co. Tyrone in Ireland (in case anyone hadn't guessed), and at the minute I write copious amounts of self-indulgent dribble that could loosely be called short stories. My stories usually have an element of realism, and i always try to add in a bit of humour as, done right, it can be enjoyable to read.

It seems a lot of what i write is far too concentrated on being analytical and observing, and this has had an awful detriment to the story-telling aspects- The plot, the characters (which to me, makes it self-indulgent.)

I have a lot of improving to do :)

17. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

I am Bill, AKA SeverinR(my Pen name)(Short for Severin Rheinfelser)
    I live in OHio, born in Arizona.

I write European medieval(or is it really mid-evil?) fantasy. The world of elves, dwarves, dragons, and all the traditional beings.

I usually write younger elves learning in the world. I try to avoid epics. I like the every day stories of people, rather then the "underdog that has to save the world repeatedly, and no one else can do it."

I usually have prominant female characters.

I did write one horror, but it needs alot of editing, it was my first completed book, and is boring at times, most importantly in the beginnning.

18. Sundae

Sundae New Member

22, female, working on my masters in Accounting/Economics.

I mainly enjoy writing general fiction that send a social message. I also enjoy cause and effect plots, where something devastating or harrowing could occur to a person or group of people and see how they navigate themselves through it or out of it. Coming of Age novels are my weakness - I have a pure soft spot for them really enjoy trying to plot it.

Of all my work - the themes I really love to explore are: friendship, love, loss, moral dilemmas, grief, social injustice, differences in societal levels and how one event effects different classes, identity, and breaking free from social/cultural restraints.

19. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Hello fellow writers. I have stood on this planet for 28 orbits of the sun. I am male, you can see my picture on my profile.

I live in the heart of england (UK). I work as a graphic designer, but my passion is to write & record music (pm me if you want to hear it).

I write various things but my key influences are Chunk Palahniuk, Michelle Hollebeqc, John Fante, and Douglas Adams, I like dark intelligent humour.

I'm working on my first proper novel, and I hope to get published, but my real motivation is I want to show future kids/grandkids that you can achieve anything you put your mind to.

20. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

I'm a 20-Year Old MtF TG

I like a romance, with a tinge of fantasy thrown in. I don't do mushy-mushy, my characters have to feel real and most of the focus is on the main character's development.

I'm writing a story now where the main character stops someone from dying, and for it she has only seven days left to live.

21. Glimpse

Glimpse Member

I'm Glimpse, or that's my moniker on this forum anyway, and I'm a heterosexual but celibate, male student of life who's interested in a wide variety of things ranging from the creative to the logical end of the knowledge spectrum. I write mostly science fiction, alternate history, horror, and sometimes comedy, but occasionally I like to inject a bit of romance into stories, though I can't say I'm incredibly good at doing so. I also enjoy writing non-fiction, and a number of my projects involve research into politics in which I'm attempting to write a book about the poltical state of a certain country-- just like a world leader which I admire.

22. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Uhhh. Yellowhair? This is so far off topic I'm wondering where it came from. I'd suggest you might want to consider another place to post this.

23. Forest Girl

Forest Girl New Member

I was driving a 2006 Freightliner Columbia when I quit driving this past April. I'd been driving almost nine years and loved it. Personal circumstances forced me off the truck.

I am going back to college this autumn. Already enrolled and taking three classes.

Still job hunting for my next job to add to that very long list ...

24. Ice Queen

Ice Queen New Member

'Sup, I'm an English Lit. student in the third year who lives in Scotland and wishes it would rain all the time. I love reading; I'm fond of many classics though one of my favourite Genres at the moment is Fantasy. I'm not entirely sure why, but whatever, George R R Martin converted me.

I have always liked to write fantasy, usually of the dark kind. I'll use anyone as an MC if they come to me to takt on the role; male and female in equal measure; young or old.
    Though I don't discriminate against the ageless or the genderless (referring to you, Arkahn)

25. sophzo

sophzo New Member

Who I am and what I write

I am a nineteen year old History student from England who writes almost anything I think of. Currently working on a "not sure where it fits in terms of genre" story based around four characters - equally mixed male and female perspectives.