1. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Bad Writers Anonymous

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by superpsycho, Mar 5, 2012.

[Tongue in cheek]
    My name is superpsycho and I’m a bad writer.

When I read a paragraph I just wrote and find five “and” in one sentence I can draw no other conclusion than I am a bad writer. :(

When I often find I’ve used “then” in a comparison context, I know I most be a bad writer. :(

Having a ten mile an hour brain and eight mile an hour hands, so I skip ever fifth word, would seem to forever relegate me to being a bad writer. :(

When I’ve written what I think is a heart breaking and emotional scene that had me in tears half way though only to have my wife, upon reading it, simply point out dryly an unneeded comma, I have no doubt I am a bad writer. :(

[/tongue in cheek]

Sometimes the measure of a writer is not the accolades of their success but the obstacles they’ve overcome to succeed.

2. BlankLink

BlankLink Member

I have deleted and reentered the first few words of my first sentence, so I, too, am a bad writer.

When you create something that is repetitive in a poignant way; that is how I know you are not.

Today you composed something that caught at least one persons interest; I thought you might want to know about it. Your style is interesting, unique, and smooth, because of this, I look forward to reading more.

The major obsticale in my way is that I have lost touch with my creative side: this is what brings me here. I cannot compose prose potent enough to peel eyes open like I'd like to, either. I deny my creative mind the time it takes to build this skill. I will put an end to that.

Thanks for the motivating words. Sometimes these things are so obvious they're hard to see.

1 person likes this.
  3. Samo

Samo New Member

It is perfectly acceptable to use 'and' five times in a sentence just as it is possible to write "and" five times in a row and be grammatically correct ~

You work for a fish and chip shop. You need a new sign to go above your door. Where do you tell the sign maker to put the spaces?

Between 'Fish' and 'and', and 'and' and 'Chips'.

[/tongue in cheek]

1 person likes this.
  4. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

I feel that if I can identify my mistakes and failings at least I know what needs to be worked on or at least laughed at. A little humor never hurt anybody, at least that's what I've heard. Of course I can't help but think a 200lb laughter sign could do some damage. I hope you'll continue to enjoy my small menu and look forward to the end of 14 days so I can serve up a lot more. And I do appreciate the kind works.

5. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

LOL Anything can be acceptable with the right amount of alcohol.

6. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

This thread is a whole new level of confusion...

7. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

What's to be confused about. You just list a few of things you haven't got right yet that still makes you a bad writer. Some of them I'm sure many others have problems with too. Sort of an tongue in cheek AA for bad writers, acknowledging we can never be perfect.

8. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I'm in the contempt to agree with him. Why are you bashing yourself, again?

9. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Just because I recognize common mistakes doesn't mean I'm bashing myself. I'm simply laughing at common errors as we get wrapped up in the story we're writing and not realize we did something silly. Like missing the fact we had sentence with 5 and's in it. If you can't laugh at that what can you laugh at? that's why there are brackets that say [tongue in cheek]

10. Fullmetal Xeno

Well it sounded like you were harshly doubting yourself. I laugh at myself at my mistakes, but not my writing mistakes. But it's good to see somebody on here who will laugh at his own writing mistakes.

11. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

Exactly!! I have a hard time accepting that a piece of prose I wrote is good, don't really want to go whining about it as well.

12. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

I'd hoped that the brackets [tongue in cheek] would make the purpose of the thread obvious.

13. Fullmetal Xeno

I didn't know if you were making it sound more like a sarcastic cringe or slapstick joke like you said.

14. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

If you have that amount of self doubt get a grip on yourself. Don't second guess yourself. If you think you need to get better then work at it. Worrying about it won't get you anywhere.

15. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

It's a level of subtle amusement.

16. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

I'm not worried about it. It's certainly not a life-twister. I doubt there's anyone here who haven't doubted themselves at some point, it's part of learning.

17. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

I learned a long time ago not to let emotion interfere with doing what needs to get done. Since then I've just analyzed each situation and then made what ever changes were needed to move forward.

18. meduso

meduso Member

I know I'm a bad writer because I repeatedly get a good idea, think about it for a few weeks, write a first chapter I'm happy with then forget about it for ever. And by repeatedly, I mean almost exclusively.

19. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

It's better to be a bad writer than a writer who has quit.

20. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

You know you’re a bad writer when agents bill you for every story you submit.

You know you’re a bad writer when your word processor removes the ‘Save’ and ‘Save As’ options on its file menu.

I wake everyday knowing I am a bad writer but also certain at the end of the day I'll be better.