1. Phaiyle

Phaiyle New Member

Creating Dragons

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Phaiyle, Aug 21, 2008.

So I'm writing this fun thing about dragons but I've decided I don't want them called DRAGONS. I've been looking all over for an alternative name. Trying to derive something from a legend or something. But, I cant think of anything. I know that the only think I've liked is:

sárkány: A dragon in human form, typically perceived as a giant with multiple heads. But later was used for all dragons in general.

The dragons in the story do have human forms. They take them quite often. Its easier to escape notice that way. The only problem is, I cant pronounce it. I have a really hard time saying it even though I know HOW its supposed to be said. I want something that sounds....pretty i guess. I was wondering If anyone could dig up some possible suggested names. Maybe some legends or even the word DRAGON in a different language. Some thing that sounds nice, that sounds elegant.

2. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I could see these as names for a race of dragons (Yeah, I know not all of them are elegant.)

Jormungandr
    Niddhogg
    Niddhoggr
    Heart's Blood
    Tiamat
    Drake
    Wyrm
    Wyvern
    Naga
    Bakunawa
    Imoogi
    Gyo
    Lindworm
    sárkány
    Balaur
    Vere Celen
    Cuélebre
    Midgard

Dragons are usually associated with three animals, birds, snakes, and cats, so you could use names that are associated with those.

Edit: My favorite right now is Jormungandr. It sounds harsh and round at the same time, like a flood of boulders rolling out of your mouth.

3. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

Drakes is your best bet. As well as wyrms, while certain words like Wyvren and Tiamat tend to mean a specific thing.

Didn't mean to bash yah there, CDRQ.

I would just do some research, translate a few words around a few languages. If you know you want it to be 'dragon' in different a language, why ask for use to do it. No offense, but that isn't soemthing I'd want others to do for me.

4. CDRW

No problem. The first five, some of the ones in the middle, and the last one are specific names, I just thought they could also be used as a group, like "A member of the Tiamat Council," or something like that.

5. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

Oh, snap. That's genius. I wish I liked dragons enough to steal that. Haha, nah, I'm kidding.

6. Phaiyle

Phaiyle New Member

See the problem is I DID do the research. LOTS of it. I know the list CDRW gave. And while I like them.... There more, like he said, breed/clan names. Thats why I came to you guys. to ask your oppinion and thoughts of what would be a good name for dragons AS a whole. I don't want the typical. Dragon, draco, Drakon, Drakien, wrym, wyvern, type thing. Im looking for something a little more.... original. but with a hint to the past.

7. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

One of the more important rules I've found regarding fantasy is not to reinvent the wheel.

Why this objection to "dragon" as the name of dragons? Now, if it's a special take on dragons, then maybe a new word could be good, but these sound just like your typical dragon. No gimmick like a name is going to do much but annoy the readr, to whom these things are quite clearly dragons.

8. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

'Draig' is the only one I know. It's Welsh for 'dragon', and 'dreigiau' is the plural.

9. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

Agreed with Etan. Though only with dragons. Dwarves and Elves will always belong to youknowwho.

10. CDRW

In that case I'd go with researching cat names and bird of prey names, especially mythical and scientific words, or else just make something up. You could also start playing around with mixing words together.

11. Last1Left

Last1Left Active Member

Maybe you don't have to completely abandon the word "dragon"? If it's from a human perspective, he/she would perceive dragons as dragons, no matter what their proper name is and how politically incorrect it is.

12. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

Yeah, if you're not going to change anything about them, then why not just call them what they are? It's dragons that are cliche, not the word itself, changing the name doesn't make them seem anymore exciting or fresh... Try creating your own mythical beast, then you can name it whatever you want.

13. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Drakes and wyrms have been popular alternatives.

14. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

Flux is on the mark.

On a side note a project I once envisioned was a world where humanoids with reptilian features and dragon faces and horns, with no wings. They were integrated with humans and other society, in a fantasy setting. Guess what they were called.

Answer; dragons. :)

15. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

Serpavians.

16. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Drake, Wyvern, Wyrm, Lindworm, Dramon (just thought of it, combined the words demon wit dragon xD) Or you can invent the word by mixing languages. By the way, Lucy, hadn't see you around for some time now :)

17. Palimpsest

Palimpsest New Member

Sárkány/Sarkanyon sound very sharp and elegant to me. Play with the spelling, maybe? (Sar-q'hanyi? Random hyphens and apostrophes are almost a fantasy staple, and you can derive a kind of grammar from it if "sar" means "of the"... then "Sarlycan" can refer to werewolves, "Sarsidhe" to elves even if you pronounce it like the name of a soda, "Saranthros" to humans...)

Or, you can go with the tribal tendency to name only your kind "The People" and any other tribe dubbed "strange creatures who think they're true people." So the narrative can show draconic traits, but all the while they just think of themselves as "ourselves."

Or name them after a specific environmental commonality, or trait, rather than general dragon-ness. Something that means "We of the breath of fire" or "We of the gilded caverns".

The Levizoth, maybe (combination of Leviathan, Ziz, and Bahamut that they made plural for some reason,) or Alethinaga (combination of alethia and Naga -- truth, and another kind of dragon... the true dragons?)

18. Etan Isar

Just make sure it's pronouncable. Simple transliterations are a bonus to the average reader.

19. Chickidy

Chickidy New Member

Perhaps we should get the facts straight, look towards the root of the dragons you plan on using. The odd thing about these mythical beasts is that ALL cultures had some form of dragon in their past. What culture is in your story? Be it the Norse dragons, or the dragons of the Asian persuasion, or the demonic serpent of England that struck terror into the hearts of the faithful? Or perhaps your trying to use dragons of a completely new culture altogether? Then I can't help so much. I just find that when I have problems with names and it isn't a modern setting, heading to roots and prefixes and suffixes to hint towards the nature of people and creatures really helps me.

20. Phaiyle

Phaiyle New Member

Well, Last1left, The MAIN characters are dragons and one happens to be the oldest dragon in existence, I want them to have sort of a "true" name. Rather than what humans are known to call them. There is plenty changed about them. But the fact remains they still resemble what humans think of as dragons. I wasn't going to say: Hey I have this race of reptilian creatures, some of which can fly and have some magical abilities. Because the first thought would have been... OH like a dragon?! >< lol. So I'll just call them what they are.

I completely understand where your coming from, Chikidy, And I would have done that, with the exception that it takes place in the future. And the dragons predate those different cultures. Theres pretty much some from all over. With the different characteristics mixed in. I have sketches of how I want them to look and they derive from ALL kinds of stuff. Like... I have a rhino one, a bird like one, and even a big beta one!

I love your suggestions, guys and gals. particularly Palimpsest, Carthnonn, and Lucy. Welsh rocks!

Some of my ideas were:

Fevarnus
    Drakon (Though WAY to obvious but the simplicity and the fact that it is quite easily relate able to 'dragon' is good.)
    Draikon
    Kodrugon
    Sarkany
    Daivus
    Draikus
    Navarnus
    Draiken (one of my favorites... easily recognized but with a nice distinction.)

I've been playing around with Oroboros to no avail....

21. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I would consider carefully the idea of using a name which is very unique for something which will answer to the description of dragon within your story. Remember that the dragon is an iconic fixture in the realms of fantasy and mythology which crosses many cultures. Carl Sagan even wrote a book concerning species memory using the dragon as his prime example of something found in nearly all cultures called Dragons in Paradise.

I can understand the wish to be unique in your work, but don’t stretch the reader so far that there is a mismatch between what is named and what is pictured. Having your protagonist yell out, “Have a care! There be moxiboozles in them hills!” is just not as impactful to the reader as, “Have a care! There be dracos in them hills!” Even an obviously modified version of the word dragon still evokes the picture immediately for the reader. A moxiboozle just leaves the reading thinking, “What?”

22. joemister1221

joemister1221 New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon

Click the link above ^. Then go down to 'dragons in world mythology', it gives the names in which other countries call dragons. You could spell them differently or mix two names together. Sorry, if I was no help.

23. feralpen

feralpen New Member

Goodness ! Speaking of naming. Phaiyle, very closely resembles the name Phay'le, the name I have given my characterization of a mermaid. I have a trilogy of her encounters with Sailor Jack and one stand alone. I find the phonetic quality pleasing. Very happy to have run across the same (in pronounciation) here.

24. Phaiyle

Phaiyle New Member

Thanks guys! I haven't fully decided on what I'm going to use for the dragons to call themselves. But, I wanted to give you guys a little inside into what one species looks like. Basically I have them different color types. (like red, green, blue) or elemental (like fire, earth and water) In reality its going to be more of a regional type thing like with different dog breeds. Features and body structure depend on where they typically live, the weather their suited for, and how they find food.

[​IMG]
    By the normal terms this would be a earth dragon. Its going to be a light brownish grey like the background. I have yet to come up with the various species name. (What ever I choose to substitute for dragon will be the basic Genus. Their scientific classification is:

Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
    Class: Reptilia
    Order: Squamata
    Suborder: Scleroglossa
    Family: Varanidae
    Genus: The dragon race as a whole.
    Species: Terragramus (The particular dragon pictured above :-D)

The above classification was based on that of a Komodo dragon.

25. Etan Isar

I'm not sure a name is going to make up for such a well-worn concept as elemental or color dragons..., but "sarkany" seemed the best of the suggested names.

The others were cheesily obvious manglings of the normal word.