1. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Do certain foods affect in writing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mans, Jan 27, 2014.

Do you think the certain foods are effective in writings? For example, If we eat a grilled turkey for lunch , whether we can write a good story? Or if we eat just an egg sandwich, whether it had a negative effect in our writing ?

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I think the only way food could increase your writing is if:

1 - Properly fed so you aren't too hungry to focus
    2 - Not running to the bathroom
    3 - Any food that increase cognitive ability (I heard fish does?)

3. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Hey, a lot of writers are poor and live off cup noodles. I don't think it really matters.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Seems like it could.

For example, applying oneself enthusiastically to quantities of red wine and chocolate prior to taking up the pen could influence the end product.

5. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Yeah, chocolate and strawberries improve sex drive.
    Maybe it could help one write more intimate things?
    Not sex necessarily.

Alcohol lowers inhibitions, so maybe a light consumption can focus you to write more openly instead of being hesitant about it?
    I know, personally, that it helps me write and write and write. Quality goes down a bit but quantity goes up.

6. Liam Johnson

Liam Johnson New Member

Hmmm, I would avoid anything high in sugar but then, that's something that would help us in every aspect of life. Specifically here, though, a large amount of sugar raises the amount of cortisol the body produces (cortisol is the hormone the body uses to transmit sugar into the bloodstream), which, in of itself, isn't a problem but its side-effect of lowering the amount of the thyroid hormone our body produces is. This is an issue because thyroid deficiency is one of primary components of depression, low sexual drive and your basal metabolism-- that's why sugar is far worse a culprit in keeping excess weight than fats themselves are because not only is it stored as fat, it prevents the breakdown of it too. Protein is one of the best counterbalances to this, for the record.

Essentially, avoid sugar. It's bad in a tonne of different ways for the body and the mind.

Mans likes this.
  7. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Well, indirectly, eating a lot of garlic and onions can make your semen turn yellowish, which can freak you out and make you rethink your life and become deeply aware of your mortality, sexuality and your body's ultimate and continual deterioration. Which, of course, can seriously affect the depth and maturity of your prose... Just a theory :)

matwoolf likes this.
  8. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

I doubt food does but I know Music does. A certain song or tune can affect my mood and thus effect the entirety of the scene I'm writing. Usually for the better if the music matches the scene.

9. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

COFFEE

Love to Write likes this.
  10. Mans

Well, I think I have some knowledge about foods effect in the brain or other organs. In addition to some medically information, I am aware of some prophecy information in this case as well. I mean, the prophecy quotes about foods effect in the body, among brain which is relevant to memory. For example, it is a prophecy quote that says : " eating Raisins in the morning (before breakfast), increases the (ability of ) memory ". Another prophecy ( Islamic) quote says : " eating too much cheese can cause stupor ( memory loss ) except is eaten with walnut ". Also there are some other prophecy quotes about the effect of the various foods in the brain and other organs.

11. Mans

I agree. Tea and coffee have a good effect in the brain and nerve system and such positive effects, influence on writing. Those are two motive substances but we must don't forget, coffee is so stronger than tea and if drink too much, it can be harmful for heart nerve system. in this case, it can cause nervousness and abnormally heart palpitation.

12. Liam Johnson

Liam Johnson New Member

Oh, music registers a place in our minds, man. Certain songs can instantly transport me back to a specific period in my life, if it was a track I listened too all the time back then. "Me and You" by Nero did this to me yesterday-- it was weird, kind of like a specific feeling you had two years back that you don't anymore. "Poker Face" immediately makes me feel like a teenage uni student again. I think it's because these tracks have very carefully plotted baseline beats that stick in our heads-- binaurally. I have certain playlists of music that contain tracks specifically tailored to, binaurally, tune our brain's waves to a heightened imaginative mindset, so yeah, music has a major effect.

13. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Does beer count as food? If so, then I would say that beer has helped me more than any other food. If it worked for Faulkner and F. Scott Fitzgerald, it should work for me, too. ;)

14. Mans

Essentially, alcohol is not a useful substance for brain either drinking extremely or in moderate. Although you look it as a motive food but It reduce intellect and focusing. Writing is like driving, when you are driving drunk, you are not sober, what you are doing and where you are going.

15. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Well, it worked for a lot of great writers. To be more specific, it worked for a lot of great American writers. Maybe alcohol is the key to a great novel (as long as you're American). Haha.

16. AJC

AJC Active Member

I like to eat ice cream when I write. I can't say it helps my writing in any way, but it makes me feel good. :) There might even be a placebo effect at play here.

17. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

Marshmallows, fruit-flavored gummies, dark chocolate... I can't decide whether it helps me or not, but it does make me pretty happy when I write.

18. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

That's really the Omega-3s in fish.

19. Mans

Basically, chewing gum reduces the anxiety and nervousness a bit and present a little happiness ( of course I say this based on my personally experience ). Also chocolate has a little caffeine and it causes a bit cheerfulness.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  20. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

^^ That would explain a lot. I used to chew gum like crazy, and I haven't even liked milk chocolate for a long time now. Better start investing in gum again. :)