1. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Who on here that writes fantasy uses anime as inspiration?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eurlo, Mar 15, 2011.

I was just wandering considering I use it alot. But the question I ask myself everyday is, "Why do I use anime as inspiration?" but I can't seem to answer it...I have been an anime freak/junky/obsessed fan since way back to the first anime series I ever saw and loved, "Sailor Moon." back then I had her wand and the show was my idol...I was jealous of their shiny nails and "Saturn and Uranus" was my FAVORITES on there! But since then I have become obsessed with any kind of anime: "Naruto, Final Fantasy, some weird show I use to watch...was it Zatch Bell? Along with Inuyasha(here recently I have attached too, I use to think was a lame as show...boy was I wrong), and many others...and I don't know why. So I ask you, why do you like anime? Why do you use it as a inspiration?

Thanks for reading

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I have used Ghibli in my stories - my first story has two or three references to Kiki Delivery Service in it.

3. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Anime definitely has an influence in my writings, though not any specific show, rather the style of art. It's how I see my characters. I use it because I'm an anime geek, and it's a lot easier for me to write when I think of it like a movie or show, rather than simply words.

4. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

I'm an anime junkie really ^^ Love it to death, the styles, the freedom it gives, alot of my inspiration can come from it, although some of it is just plain anoying... yell the enlish dubbed versions of some is anyway...
    I think I get inspired by it because I'm watching something that isn't bount to bad cgi on a low budget... it has the possibility to be anything easily... I'm really sure thats the best way to put it... but there is something there that lights a spark... that then either fizzles or blazes. ^^
    FMA Brotherhood All the Way!

5. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I get many inspirations from Anime. I've been watching in since I was around 6! I also draw manga, so that helps me imagine the characters in my head.
    Anime's involving magic girls, such as Sailor moon, Cardcaptor Sakura influenced my story. It contains magic girls but on a more serious note (and no transformations xD)

I like anime because it's enjoyable to watch. Some of them hold great messages. Some of them have manipulate emotions (eg, clannad)
    I can't actually control getting inspiration from Anime. I just automatically do. But my watching of Anime has lowered down a lot though..I just can't find any real good ones these days..

6. Chudz

Chudz New Member

This is pretty much what I would say.

7. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Anime inspires me to never use things like "Uh, Oh," and "mmmm" in my writing.

8. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Anime inspire me to lose faith in humanity.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Manga and anime definately inspire me, especially since when I first started reading manga, a lot of the topics in manga were not readily used in fantasy novels.

The first sympathetic villain I ever encountered was in the Magic Knight Rayearth manga. :D

10. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

I love Inuyasha I tell ya I'm in love with the guy he has stole my hear:D as he says speaking about kekeoh(sp?) "I would go to hell with her" but in my case it's with him:p

11. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

I LOVE anime (kinda lost touch with manga after OneManga shut down, though :p)! Mostly shonen, but that's just 'cause the channels I have don't feature a lot of shojo, and my attention-span usually isn't substantial enough to go through watching one online. Interesting, conflict-ridden storylines, rich settings, and funny dialog and romances. Fullmetal Alchemist was, and continues to be, my favorite anime because it possessed an ample amount of all those elements. It's a shame my local bookstores don't carry the final volume (which I read online), though :(.

Frustratingly, I find myself constantly incorporating synopsis details from animes I've recently watched into stories. Great ideas, but I'd like to think I have somewhat of an original mind XD.

12. Smoke

Smoke New Member

My first real exposure to anime was an art montage named "Robot Carnival" and it took me years to realize that anime wasn't incomprehensible nonsense. (I think I had caught the odd Sailor Moon broadcast and loved animated movies like Flight of Dragons without realizing their source.)

I haven't acted on it yet, but an expired "Why God Why" challenge inspired me for some odd crossover fanfic based on anime. Edward Elric getting amnesia and ending up in the Pumpkin Scissors universe. The boy from Fooly Cooly ending up in Aquarion. I imagine that there was a third oddness that I've forgotten.

13. Lazy_Otaku271

Lazy_Otaku271 New Member

I don't know if anime influences the whole of my stories, unless I'm writing fanficition, but it does influence some parts of my writing. I would say I tend to take my anime influences from more realistic shows instead of the over-the-top superpowered shows.

Animes like FMA serve this purpose quite well, because it is quite realistic and the only real 'power' that the characters have is alchemy, which is a legitimate science. Clannad is also an anime I have take reference from, considering the majority of its story could take place in real life. I"m also influenced by gag animes like Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh, because they point out the humor that could take place in everyday life.

I definitely watch more anime than I should, but if I can use it to my advantage I guess it doesn't matter.

14. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Urgh, in the 5 or 6 years I've been reading amateur writing on the internet, the worst has always been the stuff influenced by anime. I watch anime myself, and I enjoy it. I think there would be no harm in incorporating the themes or the kind of sense of world from it, and taking some ideas about characters from it, but when people write as if translating an anime they can see in their head onto the page, it makes lousy writing. I'm sure there's some awesome amateur writing I've read where the author has loved anime and taken influence from it, but it's done in such a subtle way you can't realise. It's when the characters are stereotyped and overblown, or the kind of magic is mis-used, or, worse, when people try to write stuff more like the school animes which are very cultural and witty when they're on the screen, but miss all of that and are just teenagers angsting around in people's writing because it's by western teenagers who can only understand the surface of it and add in all their own values on top of it to boot...

Influencing fantasy, again, the worst all seem to be either monster-slaying rampages with no character development or plot (when the violent anime series I've watched are almost all tightly plotted and psychological), or overly-ornate magical girl sort of stuff, which, no matter how enjoyable they are to watch, contain huge logical jumps and suspension of disbelief even within fantasy - and I'm very willing to suspend disbelief, but when it's written by people who don't know what they're doing the characters all come across as twee super-powerful Mary Sues and the magical worlds they encounter are all nonsensical. In a bad way. Really good anime weird magic worlds all seem like the strangest dreams I've had - and they pull that off well. But people writing whatever suck at conveying dreams. They're a visual medium. And even then it's hit and miss. :p

Just somehow people writing from anime if they are just starting out seems like the easy option, but really just makes for terrible reading. The best influences from anime on a story are the ones that no one can see. Or ones handled so well you can't see the subtitles at the bottom of the screen as you read, at least. :/

15. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

Well you're not the first and certainly won't be the last person to be inspired by Anime. The Matrix was inspired by Ghost in the Shell.

I used to try and write similar things that had been inspired by Anime. I often had over the top fight scenes, all powerful heros and it never worked well.

I think what every wannabe author/writer needs to learn is what works well in a specific format.

If you want a good example of this then watch the anime Dragonball and compare it to the live action movie Dragonball Evolution. The live action movie tried to copy the anime and having someone on screen shout ka-me-ha-me-ha and unleashing a ball of blue energy doesn't work as well as it does in the anime.

(I would have compared the anime Avatar to The Last Airbender, but I've heard The Last Airbender sets new standards of awfulness that I refuse to watch it).

16. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

If that movie isn't enough to give your sanity cancer, then try watching the live action Fist of the North Star movie. Compared to the anime or manga, it's nothing but bad kungfu screams and lame special effects. *twitch twitch*

17. Ganman3

Ganman3 New Member

Anime inspires me greatly. Shows like Bokurano, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Hellsing, Angel Beats!, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and Fractale have all helped me with my writing, though mostly subconsciously. I watch anime and other TV shows so that I can take a break from my writing and see what other people are doing with their shows and how they're doings it. Then again, I'm inspired by a great many things, and mostly it's just underlying concepts or themes that I fit in, like the nihilism brought about by Bokurano.

18. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

I wouldn't consider Avatar: The Last Airbender an anime, since it's written/animated by Chinese-influenced Americans, but the style is definitely animesque ;).

19. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I often imagine my characters in anime form. I have a secret fondness for anime, so yeah. :p

Interestingly enough, one of my earliest story ideas from when I was bitten by the writing bug in 2004 was a series about flying ninjas, based off of (of course), Dragon Ball Z. Davie, the protagonist, looked suspiciously similar to Gohan circa the Cell saga. I pretty much took Gohan, made him blind, changed his haircut and uniform and created Davie.

To this day, I still think about it, but have no inkling to actually write it.

20. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

I too see my characters as anime characters! Mainly so I can better connect to them in a personal view. Like my main female I started from, "White Fang" although that wolf is a male I Care not, I better relate to the character looking at them this way, most of my characters are inspired by individual anime characters that I like. As to a blank wolf with a description. Or by means of movie actors or animation.

21. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Re:

I too use anime as a type of relaxing form, or to inspire me, or to speed up my "light bulb" worthy ideas:p

22. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I love Asian storytelling because it doesn't follow the same conventions as Western storytelling. For example it doesn't follow the three arch structure, don't have the same convention about happy endings, etc. Not because Asian storytelling is better, but it provides me an wider array of tools then if I just was inspired by Western storytelling.

Since a lot of good Asian fiction is published and easily available (more often translated) in the forms of anime and manga that is a great place find to find inspiration in my opinion.

23. 霊Ray霊

霊Ray霊 New Member

I´d say that anything that can make me feel something, pull the emotions out of me, is able to inspire me.

So yes, anime/manga inspires me. I haven´t watched/read any anime/manga lately though. I read the comic series "Scott Pilgrim Versus The world" which doesn´t qualify as manga because it´s not Japanese. From anime, it has been some long time and the last one I´ve watched was "Haibane Renmei"

For me what inspired me the most so far was this video game "Final Fantasy X" I still remember the first time I played it. I was totally blown away by its amazing story, characters and soundtrack. They way everything was developed.
    Wish there was a movie based on it

24. Charmichan

Charmichan New Member

Anime is what got me into writing in the first place.
    There's this anime called Candy Candy I used to watch when I was a kid that I stumbled into youtube.
    Watching it again as an adult; I felt that the ending was too abrupt as the heroin didn't get a complete happy ending. Weaving my own universe based on those characters is the best entertainment I could possibly imagine!;)
    BTW I used to watch Sailor Moon too!

25. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Really cool Sailor moon was/still kinda is my idol anime show:D