Who should be the Vice-President?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MountainBiker, Jun 25, 2008.

1. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I'm really not going to get into it because I have a tendency to get heated with politics and I don't think this is the place or the time to do that. I hated Clinton, and IMHO he will be running the white house. I don't like her platform, I don't like her health care plan, and I don't align with democratic values at all.

I think I need to bow out of this thread now, though :)

2. MountainBiker

MountainBiker New Member

Check the facts

Well, quoting from Jan Markell's "Understanding the Times" newsletter, Obama "... calls Israel a constant sore that affects all of our foreign policy." I guess that's why "HAMAS terrorist Ahmed Yousef told World Net Daily's Aaron Klein that HAMAS and other terror groups are hoping that Obama will win the election."

Also, "Obama's church posted a HAMAS manifesto in its church bulletin, and also stated that Israel planted an "ethnic bomb" to kill blacks and Arabs."

"Herbert Romerstein, a former investigator with the U.S. House Committee on Un-American Activities, presented evidence Obama was mentored, while attending high school in Hawaii, by Frank Marshall Davis, an African-American poet and journalist who was also a Communist Party USA member. This was reported in the May 23, 2008, issue of World Net Daily."

Obama attended a church for twenty years that espouses "Black Liberation Theology" and Marxism, as reported in the April 2, 2008 issue of The Washington Times. These are not exactly lightweight issues. :(

The groups I have mentioned are just reacting to information that is in the public domain. IMHO, Obama represents a very large question mark, to the extent that we don't know how much the influences in his life will affect his style of governing, should he be elected. I think he is the most radical candidate for President we have ever had in this country. :confused:

FYI, I plan to vote for McCain, not because I am a die-hard Republican (I think Bush caters to wealthy people too much), but rather, because I feel that he is a centrist republican candidate. I don't espouse the beliefs and principles of The Democratic Party, but neither am I a 'far-right Republican". I think a centrist is exactly what this country needs to re-unite our government, so we can start mending our tattered nation. We DO need change in America. I would not like to see an extremist from either side be elected. I'm not saying that Obama is necessarily an 'extremist' but he certainly has had some extreme influences. I also do not feel that two years as a senator exactly qualifies one to be president. I know, you can cite Jimmy Carter as an example, but I don't think he was a good president. Let's just say that I am very leery of Obama (because of his background) and that I'm not sure he would be good for America. :confused:
    IMHO, it would be a huge mistake for the American people to base their decision on whom to vote for on superficial criteria (like age) or rhetoric. Please do the research and check the facts! But by all means, VOTE! :)

BTW, I would like to see John McCain pick Joe Lieberman as his running mate.

3. Marloy

Marloy New Member

I honestly view the whole debate over Obama and his possible affiliation with the terrorists/Middle-East etc. to be nonsense. I don't believe that man is endorsing them or in any way exploiting them, as many like to say, especially Democrat-bashers in the media. They are using him as an iconic symbol because they feel they have 'won' because there is a supposed Muslim running for office. They haven't really in any sense, nor is Obama the 'Anti-Christ' as many try to pun in the media.

Honestly, I've never been a politics person, but now that America has taken on more diversity in running mates with African Americans and women I've been more into it. I honestly have no choice for the president nor the vice-president, and for some unexplained reason I couldn't stand it being Hillary (though she and Obama in office would surely be an interesting feat!). My philosophy here is to let McCain and Obama duke it out and may the best man win. I like them both in their own right. I really am undecided on vice.

4. gigantes

gigantes Banned

you could try theft to begin with, and maybe work your way up to arson or something.

:)

@mountainbiker,
    thanks for the detailed response.

now assuming these things are all true, do you have any theory as to why the clinton camp didn't call the obama camp out over them? after all, clinton became desperate to do something, anything, to regain the lead after she miscalculated with the early primaries. her camp demanded that michigan & florida be re-run, put pressure on the super-delagates to declare outright, clearly became more accusatory towards obama than she initially set out to be, and her people even talked about trying to convince pledged delegates to jump ship. all moves of desperation to larger or smaller degree.

so why wouldn't she have used the inflammatory evidence you refer to if it was available to her? because she was involved in it as well?

re: mccain,
    i personally mostly like the guy but have two major reservations. one, he appears to be jonesing to jump into iran, as if iraq didn't turn out badly enough as it was and didn't already destroy the national deficit, just to pick a couple consequences.

two, recent hand-writing analysis shows that mccain has a strongly inflexible, stubborn and aggressive streak, and if we learned anything from the disaster of the GWB presidency, i hope it's that those are not such good qualities. and yes, i did say hand-writing analysis.

5. FlakeandFins

FlakeandFins New Member

I was unaware that making jokes was treacherous. If so, send me to the gibbets then.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Lieberman? I can't take him seriously. He reminds me of Teller, of Penn and Teller, and not only in looks.

7. Marloy

Marloy New Member

Oh, you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

8. MountainBiker

MountainBiker New Member

As to why Hillary chose not to call the Obama camp out, the two things that stick out in my mind are the fact that (as far as I know) the endorsements came rather late in the campaign (I could be mistaken) and the fact that Hillary sincerely believed that she could and was going to defeat Obama on merit. I believe that she wanted to keep the campaign positive and not resort to negative issues such as race, etc. That would have made her seem desperate.
    I feel that Hillary was adamant, rather than desperate, about Michigan and Florida. She may very well have been desperate, but I don't think she wanted to seem desperate or have a 'sore loser' mentality. I don't recall her mentioning Obama's church and why he stayed so long, but others have. Beyond that, I just don't know. I don't think she was involved in it (the inflamatory evidence). I know one thing; the Clintons are famous for investigating their opponents and using the dirt they dig up to dig up to smear them. Why she didn't do that in this campaign truly is a mystery. :confused:
    I am not a political genius. I just wanted to take the news items from Jan Markell's newsletter and see how the 'average voter' would react to them. If I have more insights, I'll add them later.

I plan on voting for McCain because he has said he will go after the 'Pork barrell spending' and 'earmarks' if and when he is president. He has also said he will come up with a better immigration policy. I have heard that many Democrats will probably vote for Obama as a protest vote against the Republican party. This is the wrong reason to vote for a candidate. I don't really want to campaign for McCain, I just want to find out what kind of person Obama really is and what he will do as President. I want to know how much his past influences will influence his actions as President.
    I don't think that voters should just "wing it." :eek: That's all for now...

Additional insight: I think that any candidate wants voters to vote for them, not against their opponent. I think Hillary was wise enough to realize this. I also think that she was conscious of the fact that a number of people were already vilifying her, and she wanted to avoid living up to any characterizations of being 'The Devil-Woman' :mad: or whatever. But again, I really think she was absolutely sure she could knock off Obama easily and didn't need to throw poison darts. I don't know... Your guess is as good as mine...

Further insight: After thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that Hillary must have been well aware from the start of the campaign that the possibility that she might lose to Obama was a real one. She didn't want to make any really damning accusations and/or observations about her opponent because she knew she would have to endorse him, should she lose. That's what all good sports do. If she had made such accusations and observations and then turned around and endorsed him for President, she would have (IMO) wound up looking like a real ass. :redface: