2. Nay

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelloThere

HelloThere Contributing Member

Who wants to live for ever?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by HelloThere, May 12, 2014.

So I was doing a little research into a sci-fi setting and looking at the extension of the human lifespan, when I came across this article, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2523086/Could-humans-live-500-years-old-Scientists-believe-genetic-tweaks-significantly-extend-lifespan.html, (bloody hell that's a long link) The article itself doesn't have much substance to it, but basically they fiddled around with some worm's genes so that they lived to what would be the human equivalent of 500 years old.

Obviously, humans are much more complicated than worms, but should the day ever arrive would you want to live for that long? There's normally the implications of watching everyone you love die, but for this thread we'll consider the affects of this on society as a whole - whether this should be granted to everyone or not, or whether it should even be considered at all.

It's not a serious debate but it'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the subject.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I would. I'd love to see the sci-fi future that evolves.

3. HelloThere

What do you reckon the retirement age would be?

4. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

I'd like to cash my chips in around 75 or a day longer than my wife if I have one at that age

Okon likes this.
  5. Madman

Madman Active Member

What a terrible fate it would be. Watching family, friends and loved ones fade or succumb as you live on. Without a way to purge your memories or emotions, immortality, even with luxuries, would be a tough life. Just think of how many lives you would live within one. Perhaps a human void of emotion would enjoy it.

Many will want it at first, but few would understand it's consequences. I wonder how many would chose to live on forever?

If you live for 500 years I can guess the retirement age goes at about 325. But that would depend on the physical fitness. Perhaps we live like old men beyond 100, then the retirement age would be the same and we would suffer in a weak body for the next 400 years!

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon." - Susan Ertz

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I'd like to live to 500 if I could stay healthy and active. @Madman has a good point: if we're sick and feeble for 400 years, what's the point?

I'd like to keep accumulating wisdom, to have the chance to correct wrongs I'd have done. I'd like to try different careers, master many more skills than I can in a standard lifetime, and possibly even have children and grandchildren (and great great great grandchildren ...).

And of course, like @GingerCoffee, I want to see the sci-fi future!

8. HelloThere

There's this really interesting guy on youtube, his channel is called Vsauce. He covers loads of really interesting subjects, but in one video he actually looks at the question of "How old can a person get?" He looks at human life in terms of percentages; the first year we are alive is one hundred percent of our existence, the second year is only fifty percent, the third year is one third and so on and so on. This is believed to be the reason why our childhood seems to take so long and why time passes by more swiftly as we age. So think about this, if you were to live to five hundred years old then that final year would be one five hundredth of your entire life. For comparison, one five hundredth of an eighty year olds life would be about two months (if my maths is correct)

9. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributing Member Contributor

[ANNOYINGNITPICK]Immortality cannot exist. If hunger, disease, and old age are eliminated, then violence and accidents will simply become the new "Top Causes of Death."[/ANNOYINGNITPICK]

In all some seriousness, I have absolutely no idea what my answer would be.

10. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

What a fantastic quote. Thank you for sharing it. :)

11. minstrel

These people are not writers, are they? ;)

BayView likes this.
  12. We Are Cartographers

We Are Cartographers Active Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  13. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

I wouldn't want to live forever. Or even 500 years extra. Not because of seeing my friends and family die or anything. But because I'm a firm believer in reincarnation. I believed I've had past lives and I will have future lives, all of which are designed to teach me something new. How would I learn what my next life has to offer if this life lasted forever?

14. HelloThere

I don't know, Elrond and Gandalf are both pretty wise and they lived for a long while.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

on one hand, i want to live long enough to know if the human race is ever made to pay for its abominable conduct... and to see it wiped out of existence, if justice prevails...

on the other hand, at 75+ i'm already so tired of watching its ever-more-odious behavior toward its own members, other species, and its very habitat, that i'm ready to go any time now... so, i voted 'no'...................

matwoolf likes this.
  16. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

As much as you hate humans, you sure brought a lot into this world:rolleyes:

Jack Asher likes this.
  17. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

We already ask the human mind to function nearly twice as long as its original design specifications. Assume biological immortality is made a reality, how long can a human mind, the self-aware consciousness, last in an integral state? What good is physical immortality if the internal OS of the mind eventually crashes?

Andrae Smith and Simpson17866 like this.
  18. Madman

Madman Active Member

So we should all be wiped out for the actions of some? I understand how you feel, I've felt it too. Sometimes you just sigh and wonder how we even manage to survive for another second. But I don't think there can exist an intelligent species capable of pure and complete goodness or noetic excellence, there will always be a weakness. I believe the consequence of intellect is evil, as well as good, and can not solely be one of either.

I hope our species lives on to reach into the stars, as the so far only known intelligent beings around, we owe it to the universe to explore it and gather knowledge. And I can assure you that we will commit evil atrocities along the way that will make the Holocaust look like a single murder in comparison. That's the truly sad cost.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  19. minstrel

The solution is here!

Andrae Smith likes this.
  20. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    That's a lonnnnng time. Is it just a genetic advancement making human beings capable of living that long but with the variables of disease and disorders still left to affect those of any age? Even if my loved ones could live that long too, I voted no. While I'm curious about the future, I'd much prefer a time machine to just get a glimpse of that era and then high tail my way back to the present and live my life out the best I can. I think there's something to be said for the brevity of life, an appreciation that comes with knowing you only have so long, sometimes less than you think.

21. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That's not me, I know exactly what to do on a Sunday afternoon. As for work, I'd just keep working. I've always had a profession that allowed me to work as many hours as I wanted/needed to. My profession has always been a perfect fit for me in that I've always had enough money and always had all the flexibility I needed to work full time, part time, quit, get another job, and change states get another job.

I read a book when I was 18, "How To Travel and Get Paid For It". The two top jobs were teacher and nurse. I picked nurse and while the idea was to work as a nurse in other countries, I quickly found the better plan was to work in the US and take time off to travel. I could do this forever: work, travel, and never stop exploring and learning.

22. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I haven't been here that long, but you're the last member I would have expected to post something like that.

I think human conduct is, well, human, and neither abominable nor angelic. A topic for another thread, maybe.

23. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't hate humans, garball... as a long time practicing philosopher, i merely see the species for what it is, has been, and always will be, sans rose-colored glasses, or wishful thinking...

and yes, i did cause there to be 28 more [so far] humans added to the planet's population... but i did not do so entirely by choice, since the first 3 of 7 were born before the pill was available, the next 2 arrived despite all the best alternative methods having been employed...

stevesh...
    i can understand your confusion, since i've dedicated my last remaining decades to helping others, but it's not really that odd a juxtaposition, since prison chaplains, doctors and nurses still do whatever they can to help those in need of their services, regardless of what evils some of those they are helping may have committed against others...

so, i help humans in need in any way i can, even though i can't approve of the species as a whole and would happily see it removed from existence... just as those chaplains, doctors and nurses most likely wish all murderers, rapists and child-abusers would cease to exist...

24. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

I wouldn't mind, provided 1) I can remain fit, vigorous, and mentally competent. Being a wizened ancient for 450 years is silly 2) I was independently wealthy. Digging ditches for 480 years does not seem to be a very appealing prospect 3) It is something available to many. Being a hunted freak does not appeal either.

Other than that, finding mental stimulation, seeing people die off, etc do not worry or bother me.

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  25. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Why should we all be hated for the sins of the few? You do have kids , right?

Also, doctors don't only help murderers, rapists, and child-abusers. My grandpa had many patients he was friends with, and still is!

Myself, I don't think I could ever run out of people or animals to stop loving and helping! I'd like to live for 500 years, enough to make a big difference and write as many books as I want!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.