Tags:
  1. art

art Contributor Contributor

Stand-up comedy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by art, Aug 27, 2011.

Last night I caught the tail end of Sean Lock's 'Lockipedia' routine. I'm not a huge fan but he finished with a protracted Madonna joke that was sensational.

Another recent effort that stands out is Rhod Gilbert's torch with the power of a million candles joke, which is sublime.

My favourite stand-ups are Stewart Lee and Harry Hill (before he got carried away with the puppets..), I suppose, but neither are especially clip-friendly.

Your favourite routines/ stand-ups?

2. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

My favorite was Bill Hicks. He was a genius and one of the few ones that's geniunly funny. Too many try too hard to be fun and overdo it, or they just suck. But Bill Hicks had a great thing going on. He was very controversial, yes, but if you got his humor, it was pure gold. And it sounded so natural, too. Bless that guy, he should have lived forever.

Of the ones still alive, Chris Rock is my favorite. He's not quite as fun as Bill Hicks, but he's not far from either. Imagine those two on stage at once? That would be overkill. :D

George W. Bush was also a very funny man with a lot of great jokes. Too bad they were unintentional and technically not stand-up comedy. :p

3. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Adam Carolla is my favorite comedian. He does stand up occasionally, but he puts out a 1.5 hour podcast every day, and he always makes me laugh.

As for more traditional stand up comedians, I really like: Mike Birbiglia, Lewis Black, Brian Regan, Josh Sneed (I saw him live last week), George Carlin, Richard Jeni, Daniel Tosh, and Patton Oswalt.

Honorable mentions are Louis CK, Lynne Koplitz, Nick Swardson, Zach Galifinakis, and Demitri Martin, and Bo Burnham.

I used to listen to stand-up routines on my iPod every night falling asleep --I have serious anxiety problems that interfered with my sleep; being able to focus on funny things and the cadence of someone's voice really helped me. So that's why I have so many favorites.

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Michael McIntyre. I don't watch much stand up comedy but I really like him.

5. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

He's nicked Alan Lee's hair. Therefore, I don't like him - no other man should have Big Al's hair.

I like Bill Bailey, and always have. His quirky, tangential, unorthodox humour just appeals to me. I always get the feeling that he'd fit right in to my circle of friends.

6. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

No idea who Alan Lee is. :p

I like Bill Bailey too but I haven't seen him in stand up, just QI (and Black Books but he's not himself then obviously).

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

My favorite is Eddie Izzard. His "Dress to Kill" DVD is awesome. I think I have all of his stand-up shows in my collection by now.

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I can't stand McIntyre. It's possibly because there was a protracted period when he was almost omnipresent. And I never liked him much to start with.

I have a healthy respect for Eddie Izzard, as much for his politics as his comedy ;)

One of my favourite current comedian is John Bishop. His show "John Bishop's Britain" has had some cracking moments. I've also been overdosing on back episodes of Radio 4's "The Now Show", with Mitch Benn, Steve Punt and Hugh Dennis.

9. ThePublishr

ThePublishr New Member

I agree with the above posts. My favourite comedians are Chris Rock, Michael McIntyre, Bill Bailey too. I still laugh out loud when I think of a part of Bill Bailey's gig: 'Hey Asda....' (anyone seen Part Troll?)

10. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I'm gonna go ahead and be unpopular and say that I like Russell Brand's standup.

Also, Kat Williams. Love him. There are others already mentioned who I love, too--especially Bo Burnham.

11. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

I absolutely love Richard Pryor, Eddie Izzard, Bill Hicks, Billy Connolly. They are the greats.

Other honourable mentions: Stewart Lee, Ed Byrne, Rich Hall, Lee Evans, Danny Bhoy, Frankie Boyle, Hugh Dennis, Alun Cochrane. There are so many more I can't think of at the moment.

I'm dubious about Michael McIntyre and can't *stand* Jim Jefferies. If you think Frankie Boyle is foul, you need to check out Jefferies.

(Btw, for UK members, there's a Bill Hicks night on BBC4 tonight. Best tv scheduling ever).

12. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Am I really the first to mention the awesomeness that is Jack Dee? I loved it when he hosted Live at the Apollo. I also like Lead Balloon, though I guess that's a show that needs to grow on some.

Other than that, I like McIntyre in small doses. He's so hyper, I get tired listening to him. My other favorites are Demetri Martin, Eddie Izzard and Louis CK. I must say the more recent Izzard stand-ups hasn't been as funny as the older stuff. I loved dress to kill.

Edit: I also love Ellen Degeneres. Just felt I needed to add a woman to the mix. Her impersonation of a gold-fish makes me laugh every time I just think about it.

13. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

Oh god I love that man.

14. Thought

Thought New Member

Favorite comedians have to be Freddy Soto, Dane Cook, Pablo Francisco and Russell Peters (in no particular order)...I actually had the pleasure of seeing Russell Peters live, hilarious.

15. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

Pablo Francisco.. yes, I concur. I also liked George Carlin, of course, he was classic. And, say what you will, but I actually like some of those blue collar comedy guys. Ron "Tater Salad" White :p oh and who's the puppet guy - Jeff Dunham? He's not bad, either.

Oh and I've never seen Ellen do a full stand-up routine, but I love her and she's hilarious on her talk show.

16. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

I just got back from a Demetri Martin stand up show, and that was pretty awesome.

17. Wes

Wes Member

No love for George Carlin? Really? Really? Him and Lewis Black. Gotta say they're my fav's... RIP Carlin... Dane Cook was good for a while...

18. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Lol I think like two or three people have already mentioned George Carlin. :p

19. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

At least three of her shows are on youtube. They are: The Beginning, One Night Stand and Here and Now <- my personal favorite.

1 person likes this.
  20. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Nobody has mentioned Steve Martin yet. Back in the 1970s, he was a brilliant stand-up comedian. He just seems to have decided that it's better to be a mediocre actor than to be a great stand-up. I mourn for what he could have been.

And I'm also a fan of Lewis Black. He's wicked.

I found Richard Jeni very funny, too, and it's a tragedy that he killed himself. A big loss to the comedy world.

21. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

I agree about Steve Martin's stand-up routine, saw a few of his from back in the day and he was very funny. Also Richard jenni was a very funny man, I remember a few of his routines. Tragic loss.