1. mixmasterdurham

mixmasterdurham New Member

Italian surname for a character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by mixmasterdurham, Jan 29, 2012.

Hi all!

This is my first time here. I am beginning work on my first novel, and I am not sure how to find a surname that fits my Italian character best. He is a cook (funny, huh?), and his first name is Giuseppe. I want his family to be from the city of Modena. I am not very particular about the origins of the name, but I would like the name to fit based on where he is from and so on. So really, I could just use a few suggestions, and likely pick a name you give me. Then add to your rep.:cool:

Thanks,

Mixmaster

2. Superevil225

Superevil225 Member

Dinelli is a surname from a family in Modena. I know a family friend with origins there. :)
    For more surnames you can look here: http://www.gentedimaregenealogy.com/data.html

3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Galletti is from around Modena and it sounds a bit like gelati (Italian ice cream)

4. mixmasterdurham

Congratulations, jazzabel! Galletti it is. It was a hard decision, considering they both flow well. But I like the ice cream thing and the fact that yours spells best on google.

Thank you both.

5. mixmasterdurham

By the way: this might sound like a stupid question, but would a British woman who marries an Italian take his surname?

6. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Depends on the woman. ;) Still the majority do seem to take the husband's surname, generally speaking.

I would not give up mine.

Think more about what kind of woman she is: professional, career-minded? Independent? Feminist? These women could likely decide to keep their own surname, or perhaps take on a double-barrelled name. Some I know kept their maiden name for work purposes (if they've made a name for themselves in some field i.e. academia), and otherwise use their husband's.

7. mixmasterdurham

Hey thanks VM80! At least I know for sure.

8. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I would, because it would probably be a cooler name than mine :p. That's why I took my husband's name, I loved his surname and never liked my own. As VM80 says it depends on the woman and her personality/upbringing, but there's no particular reason why a Brit wouldn't take an Italian name.

9. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

^ Actually, that's a good point. Also then someone with a rare name might be more inclined to keep it as well.

No problem.

10. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Yay! I am really glad :D

Heck yeah, British girls love "foreign" men and their surnames :D Ok, I am sure not every girl, but most would take the surname.
    The women I know that didn't take husband's surnames (regardless of the origin) are the ones who made a name for themselves, professionally, prior to marriage, like doctors, lawyers, actresses etc. So the way things work here is, once you are married, you have the right to use both surnames, and it is up to you if you want to formally change it on your driver's licence, passport, bank account, or not. So it is a pretty informal thing and I have friends who use their maiden name at work, and married name everywhere else.

11. eXpendable

eXpendable New Member

Giuseppe Rispoli sounds good.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Google is your friend. It will answer questions like this far better and faster than asking a forum.

google italian surnames

13. mixmasterdurham

Thanks for all your help, every one!

And thanks for your help too, Cogito: I tried it and it was too confusing, so I came to a forum instead, hoping not to get knocked by someone with the most rep here.