1. S S

S S Active Member

Who's Looking Forward To NaNoWriMo / How Are You Preparing?

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by S S, Sep 26, 2014.

Just over a month until National Novel Writing Month, Woop woop!

Do you guys have any ideas? (not asking for you to share them explicitly)

Few Questions:

If you are taking part, how are you preparing?

Is it against the rules to include text that you wrote before November (perhaps an image or two here and there)?

If I submit my novel, will they credit it to me or is there a risk of theft / plagiarism?

2. daemon

daemon Contributing Member Contributor

All I want is for NaNoWriMo to be fun. So if I do write one this year (still not sure if I have time), then it will probably be about one person or a small group of people who survive a zombie apocalypse. They start to build a zombie fort. As the story continues, their fort expands and becomes increasingly impenetrable (and awesome), which is good because the waves of zombies become more insane.

I like it because I already have so many zombie survival ideas from all the years of playing zombie games and fantasizing about surviving the apocalypse. Therefore, preparation probably need not consist of anything other than gathering my thoughts and coming up with a few characters I could hang out with.

Yes, it is against the rules to include anything that you do not write in November. I cannot find info about images.

By submitting your novel, do you mean verifying the word count? They guarantee that no one reads it.

Canopyvine and S S like this.
  3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

And if you don't believe 'em, you can scramble it before submitting it to the word counter. The word counting is pretty much on the honor system anyway.

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

NaNoWriMo never appealed to me enough to tear me away from my ongoing projects and I don't like writing just to push out the word count, but if I had no projects lined up, I might try it as an experiment. What I wonder is, are the stories one ends up with ever turned into a proper novel, or is the result just too rough around the edges?

TDFuhringer likes this.
  5. S S

S S Active Member

I think most of the stories are pretty bad. As you said, writing under pressure to suit a word count wouldn't produce great stuff. I know one person who ran out of stuff half way through and then just had the characters wander through the forest for the rest of the book with random things happening.

6. jazzabel

I figured that might be the case. I guess just finishing something gives a sense of accomplishment, though.

7. archerfenris

archerfenris Active Member

I've read somewhere that "Water for Elephants" was a NaNoWriMo project. Not sure if it's true.

I plan on participating but not in the strict sense of the "rules." I need to get to about 60,000 words before November (10,000 words over the next month or so, shouldn't be too hard) and I plan on blitzing to the end of my first novel through NaNoWriMo (120,000 words). It doesn't fit the rules of the contest but I'm not concerned with that. I'm a little excited to finish my first one ever (even if it is just going into a shoebox in my closet).

8. jazzabel

You are right, and it's not the only one. I found a list of 14 novels that started as a NaNoWriMo projects. Good to know :)

9. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I might try it again this year as I actually have part of a descent draft for a novel from last year. I actually found my writing to be quite similar to what I usually for a first draft - which is okay and pretty coherent so it was a win/win situation for me. Meaning I could keep to a schedule and get something decent out of it as well. This year I think I might try doing a batch of short stories as I've got a few ideas lined up.

10. LeighAnn

LeighAnn Member

I use NaNo to plunk out a first draft that I can then beat with a stick until a finished product falls out. And every year I end up with something that I can happily show my editor (after the beating, of course). I write more than 50k words a months anyway, but NaNo has become my reminder that I need to write another fantasy novel. At least I never forget.

ToDandy and Alya like this.
  11. Drue Bernardi

Drue Bernardi New Member

I'm planning on participating and I'm doing a lot of things to prepare. First off I am clearing off the desk in my bedroom and setting it up for marathon writing. I've got two boards (cork & dry-erase) to use for keeping track of certain details to avoid having to constantly click away.

I'm also going to spend the next month flexing my writing muscles by writing just random things. Sometimes using my own old characters from failed projects, sometimes using established characters from my favorite fiction, and also competing in the writing contests here. This way I'm sharp as a pistol when the NaNoWriMo gets here.

12. ToDandy

ToDandy Contributing Member

This year I wrote my novel during the months of July through september, so my novel-writing-break-period will be during the month of November.

So this year, I am mixing it up a bit. I will be writing my Screenplay instead during NaNoWriMo while my beta readers go through my current novel.

Currently I'm reading a lot of scripts. This one will be animated, sort of more traditional, so I'm looking at stuff like Anastasia and Lion King. Hoping to get it done in time for the Page Awards Screenwriting Festival, but that might be a little optimistic.

Also doing lots and lots of outlining. Can't wait to get started on it. Most screenplays are between 25,000 and 30,000 words, so this should work perfectly.