1. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

What's the Worst Comment You Got?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lmc71775, Aug 22, 2010.

I just thought I'd share this with everyone, cause it just goes to show that, this site is practically the best, with Cogito and others to keep the site safe from the meanies out there.

On another site, NOT here. I think I got the worst comment thus far.

As some might know I am writing a novel on my character having a mental illness, and dangerously self-medicating because of all the side effects. I wrote a synopsis for critique and "I qoute" this is what she said.

Now wasn't that mean?

Have you come across a meanie?

What was the comment said?

I thought we could get a good laugh outta it. Just to vent too.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see that as mean, but only as an honest observation on your synopsis, using the mental case analogy to soften the blow...

mean would be something like: 'What makes you think you can write?'

3. Bad_Valentine

Bad_Valentine New Member

WOW that really is mean. I would completely disregard anything that person wrote. Obviously they are unable to offer constructive criticism since they can only come from a place of mean-spiritedness. Then again, maybe they were having a bad day and took it out on your piece. In any event, forget about it. Glad you're venting, hope you can just let it go and not let this person silence you. :)

Also ... I agree regarding the mods ... I'm not on any other writing forums so I have no point of reference but I definitely appreciate what they do. There was a thread somewhere that as soon as it began, I just wanted to post: THIS THREAD IS COMPLETE BULL****. But luckily I didn't have to, because it was soon closed. *cheer*

4. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

I agree with you Bad Valentine. Every person is entitled to their opinion and in a place like this we are subjecting ourselves to critiques. But not that kind of critique. That is just plain unnecessary. And very mean.

5. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Thanks for your support guys, ironically enough I have two offers so my work must not be too bad.

Word to the wise, don't listen to mean people. Just keep treking along with your dream until you connect.

6. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

You'll find most of the mean comments in this site, are done behind your back and without your knowledge. Personally, I'd rather someone just come out and stay it to me directly, seems to make things less complicated.

7. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Oh I didn't know about the behind the back comments, but if you don't know, it won't hurt ya.

But you're right, Eoz. I'd rather them tell me directly. I want them to tell me what they thought of the writing though, and not me personally. That, I draw the line.

8. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Exactly Maia, that's what I got from it too. Thanks for being on my side about it.

9. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

Thankfully LMC, I have extremely thick skin. I can honestly tell you that I am not bothered by the comments of others.

In fact, I've gone too far in the other direction, where sometimes, I don't care when I should.

Also because I tell it how it is, I can come across rude and I don't even realise I'm doing it. This is why on email and forums I am mindful of how I speak to others.

I tried a couple of other writing sites and I didn't last five minutes, they were inferior, in my experience.

10. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I had no idea that this site was like that.

12. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I can't remember the exact wording, but I remember that I got a very rude and hurtful review for the first (and only) thing I submitted here.

13. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Well when editors are rude I figure, I wouldn't want to have my stuff published by them anyway. Who wants to deal with that crap, ya know? So sometimes it all works out for a reason. Thanks for sharing that.

14. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

It depends if specific members have a problem with you. If no one has anything against you, this site is perfectly fine and dandy.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please restrict this thread to discussing nasty critique comments.

Eoz, I'm sorry if you've had problems like that here. We do what we can, but it's impossible to prevent every kind of nastiness people can come up with. Hopefully you are not still experiencing problems, but if you are, please contact the moderators privately or with the report post icon [​IMG].

16. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Actually, the worst comment I ever got on a piece of work was no comment at all.

Ignored.

Passed over.

Indifference.

Even if someone hated my work, that at least is an emotion, it is something. It might not have been the intended something, but... yeah.

17. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I've been lucky so far wherever I have posted.

I have had some constructive comments on my basic grammar, some explaining some basics like I always get you/you're.

Oh and Sherlock Foam was rubbish but I entirely agreed with them myself lol.

On anywhere worst I have had is 'It's a bit camp.' Which as I was aiming for camp was fine lol person concerned was meaning it as an insult though.

18. JessaNova

JessaNova New Member

My thing is, if you're looking to have ANY of your work published, people are going to look for **** to say about it. It's not always going to be good. Anonymous people will always say the worst because they can. So don't fret because someone said a little mean thing about your material... they could've said a lot worse.

19. Bad_Valentine

Bad_Valentine New Member

Wreybies maybe your piece was so good no one had anything to say? I've read at least one short story here where I didn't really have anything to say because it was so well written ... at least nothing to say that falls within the rules of what counts as a critique.

By the way Nervous, I admire and envy your thick-skinnedness. I think it's easier to be thick skinned and to have to pull back the harshness then to be thin-skinned and have to learn to toughen up. Or maybe its a "grass is always greener" kind of thing? :)

20. Wreybies

I kept telling myself that. I wasn't very convincing.

And just to comment on that last portion you mention. Our rules here do not exclude a critique that is gushing with praise. It simply should not be empty, vague praise. If you love a work, you should explain why you love the work in details that make sense to the writer in order to know what it was that was done well, how it was done well, why it was done well.

21. Elgaisma

Is it still available for review? lol

22. JessaNova

JessaNova New Member

YES! When I post something and see that days have gone by, people don't care to comment... that's when I feel like it's bad. Nobody has anything to say because they A) can't relate to it or B) don't care for it.

That's when I toss it or try to work on it to make it better. But I guess that's also constructive. When nobody cares, make them care.

23. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

I am the same way when I don't get a comment, I think it's bad and start to work harder...maybe that's good, but then again, maybe I am making it worse too. You never really know until someone says something.

24. Wreybies

Thanks for the offer, but no, it no longer is. It wasn't on this forum and the subject matter would not be appropriate to post in this venue. ;)

25. Elgaisma

In that case lol would your plot premise sounds intriguing:) work as a review?

I am now really glad I reviewed someone on another site now