Why all the teen hate?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I used to love Metal, up till Marilyn Manson's CD Eat Me, Drink Me. That was the worst CD I've ever heard, and now all new Metal bands just sound ridiculous, because of that album. Now the only Metal I can be bothered with is the sludgy stuff of bands like Tool and The Melvins, and maybe Lamb of God on a good day.

2. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

dont even go there with Manson, the only shocker type i can bear to some extent is Rob Zombie (and even then i prefer his films).

id ask you this, try listening to Prog Metal, bands like Dream Theater, Evergrey, Nevermore, Circles, Ne Obliviscaris, you may find yourself surprised...

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

If Twilight is the worst thing you've read you've fortunately avoided a lot of bad books. It got very popular and so is a natural target.

4. Lemex

I used to really like Dream Theater, but grew really really bored with them because of their uncanny ability to use every note on the fret board in all their songs. They are talented, don't get me wrong, I just don't think they show a great amount of diversity in their song writing. I always find it's basically Eric Johnson for people who once liked Dragonforce but grew out of that rubbish. That's how it seems to me anyway.

5. Steerpike

Yeah I have to say there is a lot of diversity in metal and many good artists :)

6. Lemex

The worst thing is, I know. It's just that one CD left such a bad taste in my mouth, I can't help it. :p

Steerpike likes this.
  7. Steerpike

I only heard a few Manson songs and decided to give the band a miss, so I was spared your fate.

8. ChaosReigns

i knew straight off that Manson was an avoid artist, i know a lot of people like him, i find him weird... (this is coming from someone who thinks seeing a guy in drag is normal)

Wreybies likes this.
  9. ChaosReigns

http://instagram.com/p/cE0hrVxaR4/ seriously take a gander at this rather lovely photo!

10. Lemex

^There is a cartoon of Richard Wagner, suggesting his music is ear splitting. It's quite famous. Wagner got the last laugh, by going on to becoming one of the most respected classical composers who ever lived. HAHA!

11. Lemex

I'm going to print that quote out and hang it on my wall.

12. ChaosReigns

is it hardly surprising that people don't like Nicki? personally, i think that she isn't exactly the best role model for kids younger than i (i am 19 by the way) and that many will see what both her and Miley Cyrus do as acceptable, and do you really want the next generation to grow up thinking that sexualising women and believing all this that women are objects? i somehow don't think so, i do not have role models, chiefly because i have my own way of doing things, i take ideas and inspirations from people, but i don't outright copy them, and yes i even take ideas from some of the men too!

13. redreversed

redreversed Active Member

Please, every generation has its bad and good music. You thought 90's music was all great? Go listen to Barbie Girl by Aqua for example(or don't, slight chance of never enjoying music again after).

Also we have the advantage since we now have your music as well as the newer music and we can listen to it a whole lot easier.

14. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Not true. Think of all the concerts you missed by the greats. You do know live music used to mean something right?

WAC , will get back to you later bud but ur making me a lil afraid :eek:

15. redreversed

redreversed Active Member

I'll be fine, concerts are way too much for my introverted nature. :D

16. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    All that shows is that you don't like the genre (bubblegum pop). It's actually a very well written and performed song, just not one you would want to listen to.

17. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Well, I suppose I missed Mario Lanza -- it depends how far back you look for the greats. But I've seen plenty of the acts I consider great.

18. Dean Stride

Dean Stride Senior Member

Independent musicians also care about the bread, you know, not just about being pompous hipsters. I don't think The Verve or Travis would align with the stereotype of the attention-seeking underground indies. Their music has substance, and more than that - it's apparent.

You can feel the soul gushing out of their music; it's not just something you have to look for - you have no choice but to feel it. To me, that's the difference between popular music of all kinds of genres and certain underground scores. Of course, I also find a lot of soul in Huey Lewis and the News' Hip to Be Square, so go figure.

19. Hunter56

Hunter56 New Member

I half-agree, but you can't seriously say that Minaj and Bieber are as good as the legendary Biggie and Tupac — they were just as popular during the 90's and they're considered legendary. The current artists aren't even half as good as them though there are some good ones like Kendrick Lamar.

Also what's sad about this generation that the previous ones had was that rock bands had the chance to make it big. Today, only pop, rap, and pop-rap has the chance to be on the radio and mainstream media, though there are some rare exceptions like Mumford and Sons. I feel really bad for all the rock bands of today that struggle for money and exposure and have no chance of hitting it big until maybe the major labels decide differently.

123456789 likes this.
  20. Dean Stride

Perhaps due to bias, perhaps of something else, but I cannot grasp the idea of comparing legends such as Biggies Smalls and Tupac to Kanye West and Jay-Z.

21. 123456789

Great post and I agree with basically all of it so much so there's no more need to dispute.

Can you list ten bands that you think match Zeppelin etc? I'm very curious to hear this.

22. Hunter56

Hunter56 New Member

This is the internet, there is always need to dispute. :p

Joking aside, I'm not talking about the fact that you can look up all types of music on the internet. What I'm talking about is that there's no chance for those rock groups to really make an impact like the Zeppelins and Stones and Aerosmiths. Those bands of course became pretty wealthy from their fame and mainstream success, that is something no rock bands of today have a chance of achieving. Yeah, I agree that rock isn't the pop-culture favorite but that's kinda sad when you think about it. I don't see a very good reason why that is, there are still plenty of people that love rock, you can still have room for your pop and rap but why completely exclude rock from the radio?

I blame the Illuminati!!! :D

123456789 likes this.
  23. Dean Stride

Two words. Jared Letto.

24. 123456789

I'd love to hear more on that last part, even if its made up.

Well, I'm skeptical how rock bands, even if they have Stones potential, could ever become as good as the Stones if they don't have the proper environment to thrive in. I'm not a musician, so this is all speculation. But I'm imagining the Stones plain and simply got more practice and more feedback than rock bands do today. Also, a ton more motivation.

25. Dean Stride

How about this? Is this motivation enough? When has Mick Jagger ever even dreamed of doing anything remotely similar? I think 30 seconds to Mars have had enough practice and feedback to know how to captivate an audience.

What I don't think is that it's about "a ton more motivation". I think it's about the right time in the right place.