Why are bloggers so popular?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WriterDude, Jun 18, 2011.

1. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

It appears she was a celebrity pre-blogging, so her blog's niche is 'celebrity'. Had she been some random girl, mundane details of her life would be utterly boring to celebrity fans.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I blog about writing, politics, and general issues. But never just about "what I had for tea". WriterDude, it seems to me like you're arguing based on a vague idea of what blogging is, but without ever really having taken a look yourself. I'm sure there are people who simply blog about what they did that life, but those aren't the interesting ones, or the famous ones. Most blog about a particular topic, and can be endlessly fascinating and useful.

For example, I've lived in Brighton, UK the last few years, and given that I'm quite interested in politics, the Brighton Politics Blog has been very interesting to me. It's a blog on local politics, maintained by an anonymous person, largely-independent, and providing a fascinating crucible for discussion.

3. Suadade

Suadade New Member

Certainly she has a glamorous life, she lives in the capital and studies (or has studied) law in Switzerland among other things. But people don't read her blog today because she was a celebrity before it - now she is a celebrity because of her blog, which in some paradoxical way makes her blog interesting all over again.

4. ink_slinger

ink_slinger New Member

I'm engaged, and blogs have been really invaluable in helping me plan a wedding that doesn't involve fine china, expensive flowers, and professionally catered dinners. I follow some family blogs, I love to read adoption blogs (even though I'm super far from even thinking about children), and arts/fashion blogs are many and varied.

So far, from the blogosphere I have learned that you have to focus on one thing, something that you do or are interested in, that makes your blog a little different. For me, a blog is a way to practice writing and hopefully share something that will help another person. They're like magazines, really, only interactive and personal.

I find that "what I did today" blogs are very short-lived and/or rarely followed. Unless you're famous.

But in many ways, blogs help people. As mentioned before, they helped me find unique resources for wedding planning. They've helped people lose weight by giving them someone to be accountable to. They allow you to stay involved in the lives of others, which in many ways is just the online form of a community, much like this forum.

5. Adi

Adi New Member

Although the concept boggles my mind, I think it's a little better than the serotonin trance TV puts you in, although perhaps not by much.

6. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Have any proof for this claim?
    Your saying they dont read her blog cause she is famous how do you know thus?

7. Suadade

Suadade New Member

I have no proof. I know it because I live in Sweden, I'm part of Swedish society and it just is that way. Looking at her Wikipedia entry now, it says nothing about her being a celebrity before starting her blog (she did that when she was 14), so I don't know where that information came from. Look, she's a celebrity because of her blog and that's all there is to it.

8. Venusian31

Venusian31 New Member

I live in America. I'm part of American society. I still wouldn't assume that I KNOW what every other American is thinking. Half the time I don't even know what members of my own family are thinking. That's not logical. Your culture may be different but I'm pretty sure you're not all mind readers.

And just because her blog doesn't say she used to be a celebrity, doesn't mean the people who are reading her don't already know who she is. Or, they may be reading her blog because they find her to be a fascinating person. You can't possibly know why every single person reads her or likes her.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The obvious answer to the OP's question is that bloggers who are writing something interesting and engaging enough to appeal to a lot of readers are popular. Just like with any other writers.

The idea that a blogger has captivated a large audience and is making a bunch of money by posting things like "I went to the bathroom, then blew my nose," or other examples provided by the OP in this thread, is sheer nonsense.

1 person likes this.
  10. Suadade

Suadade New Member

No, you're misunderstanding me. The fact is that you hear about this girl, always in the context of her blog. She became known due to this blog, which is about her and her life. People didn't start to read about her because they knew who she was beforehand. If they do know about her when they start reading the blog, it's because of the blog. Hence my point - this is a blog which is about her and her life, nothing else, which certainly means that people must find her to be fascinating. The fact is that the blog has no specific subject outside of being a sort of public diary to her was my point.

11. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Wrong not about her life
    It's about partys and Fashion
    Which is of couse populur, also to note

taken form the wiki
    it got populour in
    How ever
    So form what I get form this A she started the blog and it took FOUR years to get popular around
    she also had publicty with the suit and then more when she was a celebrtiy
    also the mtv music awards
    So all in all her's is a one in the million and not about her life

12. Suadade

Suadade New Member

Listen, I'm reading her blog right now. You can't tell me it's not about her life. You're arguing without first-hand knowledge. It certainly revolves around, among other subjects, partying and fashion - the partying and fashion that takes place in her life.

13. Sarvoth

Sarvoth New Member

What probably gets me more than blogs, is vlogs. I think they are great, but for someone to make a very wealthy living off doing them seems odd. Not gonna knock the people who do it and make it, but it is kinda a turn off when they hit it rich and then suddenly change and show off. I started following a guy who did vlogs from his small apartment in Atlanta then in a few years and a few highly watched videos on youtube - he suddenly is living in California in a condo on the beach, driving a nice car, all new clothes, studio space for his blogging biz, and flaunting it as much as they can. I mean really? Is that all it takes? Most of the stuff he does wasn't even that original. I am in the wrong business apparently...