1. Edward G

Edward G Banned

Looking for Horror Publishers

Discussion in 'Horror' started by Edward G, Jan 27, 2011.

If anyone knows the names of small press or even micro-press publishers who publish gothic literature of any kind, can you tell me who they are?

I'm going to do a web search, myself, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any off the top of their heads.

I really want to start tracking the gothic novels that come out from the small presses.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

~Ed

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hey Edward!

The best place to start would be over at http://www.ralan.com/ for horror/sci-fi/fantasy publishers.

Another place I tend to go looking for books of any kind from the smaller presses is http://khpbooks.com/store/ as they have a large selection of different genres, and many different authors. You can even get plays, poetry and non-fiction there. It's got almost everything.

I know lots of 'horor' places, but not too sure about Gothic Literature. I will do some digging around for you though, and see what I can come across. My partner knows a lot of publishers, agents, editors and authors, so he may know some places that sell it.

4. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Pill Hill Press seems to do alot of horror themed anthologies. Not sure if its what you are looking for though.

5. Edward G

Edward G Banned

Wow, you guys. Thank you very much.

Ed

6. Torana

If you want a list of places that sells horror, or anything dark, send me a PM and I can give you a massive list of top notch places you can check out that publishes 'high quality' horror anthologies, short stories, novels, etc. It helps when your partner works for two separate publishers in America, and has constant contact with publishers and editors and big name authors all over the world.

7. Edward G

Edward G Banned

Well, I would PM you, but unfortunately I see no way of doing that. Are you sure you enabled that feature in your account? I went to your profile, but I can't seem to find the link for PMing you.

Nonetheless, if you have any names of publishers of gothic novels, I'd love to know about them. I've collected quite a few so far, including Wild Child Publishing, but I want to continue growing my list so I can be up on the new releases.

I mean it's no secret what I'm trying to do: I'm starting a review blog for small press gothic novels, and I want to find the new ones that come out so I can review them.

For that matter, do you--or does anyone reading this--have any suggestions for review? It would need to be one that was released in 2011 or is going to be released in 2011. Since I'm just starting up, I don't need a free copy; I'll purchase it. I just need a suggestion.

When everything is ready, and the first book is reviewed, then I'll post the link to my site in my signature and announce the start up of the review blog.

I'm quite looking forward to it. :)

8. Fiona

Fiona New Member

Edward - hopefully it won't be much longer before I can submit my book to you for review :) I'll be in touch soon.

Good luck with your review site!

9. Edward G

Edward G Banned

Cool. But of course, naturally, I'd review your book whenever, because you're a member of this group, I know you from conversation, and most importantly, your gothic genre book will be a new release in 2011 from a small press.

As the site grows, I imagine I will have more books than I can actually write reviews for, but hopefully I will be able to give a brief synopsis and a ghost rating (I'm using 1-5 little ghosts instead of stars.). But yours, of course, I'm going to fully review.

Are they still shooting for a March release date?

1 person likes this.
  10. Unit7

If you click on her name it will give you a small list of things you want to do. PM is one of them, second on the list I think. :)

EDIT: Either she did disable it or something I dunno. When I clicked on it it said she either doesn't accept PMs or is well not allowed to have them. If thats what you were talking about, sorry. :(

11. Fiona

Fiona New Member

Thanks, Edward.

Yes, The Banishing is still set for 1st March - it is literally going through the last editing round and once that is done, I will have the go ahead to send copies to reviewers such as yourself :)

I like the idea of the ghosts instead of stars - cute!

12. Torana

Ah! My apologies. I'll have to look into that one. Had no idea to be honest.

Wild Child Publishing... the things I could say about that place... my partner was very lucky he was able to get the rights back to his work from there. Don't like them one little bit!

That's great. Reviewers are becoming more and more popular these days. I hope it all works out for you.

I could probably come up with a selection of books coming out this year. I know that over on shocklines, there is a thread with a list of books coming out this year. I'll PM you the link (once I get my pm system sorted out)

I look forward to reading your reviews.

13. Edward G

Edward G Banned

Hey Unit 7,

I was able to PM her following your directions. It seemed to work for me. Perhaps she read these posts and went in and enabled it.

14. Unit7

Good to hear my directions were helpfull. :)

15. Edward G

Edward G Banned

Great.

Yeah, the little ghosts are cool, I think. I'm currently building the blog. Our website is done, but I'm going to launch them all at the same time. I'm feeling my way as I go, but I think I have some things in mind that may make my reviews more important than many of the others out there. We'll see, I suppose. You know what they say: if you want to succeed look at what everyone else is doing and improve on it. Time will tell if I'm capable of doing that.

It's working now. I sent you a PM.

I was wondering what you thought of them. If you don't feel comfortable talking about it in here, I sure would like to here how it went in a PM.

Actually, a sad thing I'm finding with some of the small publishers is that they don't know how to format for Kindle very well, and that will kill book sales. And how the book is formatted in Kindle is something that has to be covered in a review. It wouldn't be the author's fault, and they may receive glowing accolades for their writing, but if the book is poorly formatted for Kindle, the readers have to know. So, it's kind of an irony of the e-publishing age that the writer may receive a good review and yet the review itself may be bad because of the publishing. When everthing was strictly books, usually the editing was better, the formatting was a well-known process, and it wasn't even a consideration in reviews. But of course, this is all new, relatively speaking. Kindle has only been around for four years.

Me, too. You know I really think I could put my heart and soul into this, and I think I might have a talent for it. In this forum, we critique, which is different than reviewing. So, in here I tend to be like a harsh school teacher, but in reviews it's different. You can really talk about the art of the novel in question. You can really get down to what literature is all about. And I suppose if a reviewer becomes popular, they can help shape the direction of the literature they review.

Truth is, and I've come to realize this, I will probably never write another novel. My first, and only, is Caretakers of Eternity, and it will be released probably in the summertime when I finish this line edit. Maybe sooner. I know how to format for Kindle; I'm actually very good at it. So I'll publish it there and probably get a small print run done as well.

I have a heart for poetry, which I'm not very good at. I can write non-fiction pretty well, and sometimes the idea for a short story strikes me. But with Caretakers, through the symbols in it, I worked out all my angst from the past, you know? I suppose it's no wonder it's a "ghost story." But I don't have another novel in me. That's how it feels anyway.

I look forward to it. Tonight, I'm going to go look at the dozen or so publishers I found yesterday and select something to review. Around the world starts with a single step, right?

Thank you.

Hasta Luego,

Ed

16. J.L. Benet

J.L. Benet New Member