Why are veggies gross?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, May 30, 2009.

1. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I hate Custard!!

But I LOVE vegeatables........now...I didn't when my Mom forced me to have them.

I think it's psychological.

Though I still can't eat veg without pickles.

2. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Custard is very meh. It's not bad but it isn't really good either. I love cheesecake. :love: As for veggies, I hate cooked vegatables but raw ones are pretty good. Particularly peppers.

3. GonzoCeltic

GonzoCeltic New Member

Unfortunately I always have to have some sort of spread or condiment every time I eat a vegetable.

Celery. . . peanut butter
    Broccoli. . . cheese
    Carrots. . . vegetable dip

I have to do it or else I can't 'tear down' too many vegetables.

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

GASP! Blasphemy!

5. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I must say this thread is quickly becoming my favourite thread. hehe!

Now as for pickled veg, my nan on my fathers side, pickled EVERYTHING, so I formed a taste for pickled veg very young in life because we spent every second weekend with her and pop, till around a year or so after he passed. Went off them for a good few years, but now... oh my gosh I love pickled onions at the moment, I can't get enough of them, but try not to eat them. hehe! (pregnancy craving)

6. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

Nothing sweet?

Note to self: Never visit Turkey.

Amen to that!

I completely agree. In fact, I am to the point where NOT offering your children a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegies is a form of child abuse. Gasp all you like. Children cannot make an informed decision when selecting what foods to eat, as parents we have to do that for them. Children who are constantly fed fat, sugar and salt never learn any good eating habits and surely must hinder their mental and physical development.

Sorry, I know, completely off topic, but my girlfriend lets her 2 year old walk around with a can of coke and it drives me mad. I just want to slap her upside the head.

I love my vegies but my husband is not overly keen, he'll only eat them because he knows they're good for him. I have learned to hide vegies wherever I can in the meals I prepare.

A grated zucchini and carrot in my bolognaise, spinach and mushrooms in my lasagna and brocoli, peas, corn and the like in my quiche. You hardly know you're eating them.

Now fruit on the other hand... Yuck. The texture, the taste and the fact that you could eat a hundred pieces and never feel full. I does nothing for hunger.

My Son still has to eat his though! :p

7. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

In my family, a holiday dinner table is not complete without a dish of pickles.

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Totally agree with you there and know thousands of others that would too!

heh! I lost a good friend for having a go at her for giving her 1 year old coke... Just doesn't seem right at all.

I think my children would love dinner time in your household! lol! :p

The best thing about fruit, well grapes and watermelon, is that they are great when you are dehydrated and can't seem to get enough fluids. When I was in labour with my son, I couldn't get enough to drink, they gave me watermelon and grapes and it helped so much.

9. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Now that's just wrong. Classing mushrooms as veggies? Making it so you hardly know you're eating them? That destroys the whole point of putting them in.

Ah, the subdued but still somehow intense flavor of mushrooms. Blink and you'll miss it, turn your head and it's gone, but make a dish that brings out that flavor and you have heaven in pure mushroomy goodness. How can something so good grow on dung?

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I was delighted to see fiddleheads in the store yesterday. They have a very short season, and they are fairly pricey (5 USD per pound), but they are truly delicious steamed and sprinkled with lemon.

The main problem I have with veggies is the poor selection in the local supermarkets, and many of them are harvested long before they are table-ready. By the time they are at the right point for serving, they are wilting or browning at the edges.

If I'm ever looking for a particular vegetable that isn't one of the top twenty, good luck on the store having any in stock and in edible condition!

11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ah, yes... the fungus amungus. True that mushrooms belong to their own Kingdom* and are therefore not vegetables, but for the purposes of this thread they may be included.

*New genetic research places the Kingdom of the fungi closer to that of the animals than to that of the plants. Shall we call them plantimals?

12. CDRW

Must...resist...urge...to...go...on...off-topic...rant...about...'shrooms.

Sorry, I'm a sucker for temptation.

I think the best thing about mushrooms is that they are a poignant reminder that we are the biggest and the baddest lifeforms around (debatable, but just run with it).

Fungus, it defied classification for eons. It's not a plant, it's not an animal, it's not a mineral. Therefore, it must be an alien, a poisonous alien who wants to poison you to death and then send its invisible microscopic tendrils coursing through your body to obtain sustenance from your rotting corpse. And how do we react to this unspeakable cosmic horror? Do we shrink in fear? Do we cower in disgust? Do we give IN to our alien overlords? NEVER!

Brethren, what do we do then, knowing we cannot bow? I tell you. Even THOUGH they skulk in the darkness, unseen and MALEVOLENT, there comes a point in their lives when they are VULNERABLE, during mating season. We FIND them, we PLUCK them, we CLEANSE them of their UNHOLY toxin BY the boiling of lifegiving water, AND THEN WE CONSUME THEIR BASIDIOSPORES!

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Strange, is it not? Our fascination with what is basically the genitalia of other life forms... mushrooms... flowers... :rolleyes: Bizare as it may sound, those fruits and vegetables which are not accessories are technically the ovaries of plants.

14. rory

rory Active Member

:eek: Wow. I think I'm going to pass on all fruits and veggies for the next two weeks until I can forget I ever read this. :p

15. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Hah. Nah... it's not that bad.
    I swore off fruits and veggies too when I found that out, but I got over it fairly quickly. :p

16. Primitive

Primitive New Member

I have a 20x 20 metre veggie garden which is in the process of growing much larger (we have community festivals where people just give their grown produce away)

(Brought a 50 acre block, which we moved into 6 months ago aftert the house was built).

Fresh fruit and veg = win

17. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I can't stand old or unripened fruit, and vegtables, they give the fresh variety a bad name. I can understand why others aren't crazy about fruit or vegetables when their quality is appalling, I wouldn't be surprised if some people have never tasted a fresh apple before.

18. Primitive

Primitive New Member

I have a few apricot trees and they are so tangy its not funny. I had one from Woolworths once, and....it tasted like water (off course it had been frozen for a decade maybe).

19. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I rekon if you gave someone a piece of fruit from a supermarket like Woolies, and then a piece of fruit from a home-grown tree, they wouldn't be able to tell that it's the same fruit. My Aunt has a half acre block South of Perth, she brings over fresh oranges from her tree when they're in season; they're like polar opposites to the oranges you'd get at a supermarket.

20. Cogito

I try to avoid eating woolly veggies.

21. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Lol Cogito

Yeah, they stuff them full of wax to make them last longer. We have apple trees :D (but they are babies so the fruit isn't that great yet)

22. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to food. I'll try anything once.

I like pretty much all fruit. Except for olives. I try them periodically, but they just don't appeal to me.

Getting friends of mine to eat veggies has become an art form. I like to think I've gotten good at preparing them in such a way that even the most carnivorous person will gladly eat them.

One of my hits is tomato bruschetta, a recipe that I got from my mother and added my own flair to. It's so simple, and my buddies always request it when I'm throwing a party.

The other big one is a more recent discovery. Oh, the things you can find on the Internet. Baked broccoli with lemon, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Best. Broccoli. Ever. Even if you hate broccoli, you would probably love this broccoli. Even my brother liked it, and he's had a deeply ingrained hatred of broccoli since childhood.

23. Cogito

Spinach sauteed with peanuts in garlic oil. Indescriably yum!

Put a couple tablespoins of oil in a wok, brown a couple garlic cloves, ten remove them. Toss in a handful of peanuts, and stir them until they start to brown. Add a full bag of leaf spinach (you may not immediately be able to put it all in at once), and stir fry until it has all wilted down. Serve immediately.

24. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Oooooo! I'll have to try that one...

25. CDRW

I'm quite partial to salads as long as you leave out onions, peppers, and celery. I especially like the kind with crumbled cheese and craisins.