1. Kata_Misashi

Kata_Misashi Active Member

Ideas for a prison break.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Kata_Misashi, Apr 1, 2016.

This chapter of my story is... tough. Very tough.
    I introduced the team my MC gathers for it. Introduced the obstacles. Gave them all neat abilities. But...

...I just can't seem to put it all together! >_<;;;

Long story short: MC has been imprison on a Alcatraz-like island with the inmates being of different species. The guards are also various species that bring forth they're own type of weaponry and magic to keep the prisoners at bay and under control. MC gathers four individuals. A former Special Activities CIA. A young girl with the power of probability. A thieving inventor. And seemingly lazy man who also seems to know 'everything'. My MC (who can control earth) teams up with these people to escape. Their main obstacle (apart from the guard) is the warden; a man who kills just by touching you. (That wasn't short at all btw. Sorry. >.>)

I know I want my MC to fight the warden but even getting to that point is difficult.

I feel that this thread may be a bit too much to ask for but if anyone can lend an idea; I'd greatly appreciate it. ^^;

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Use spoon. Spoon is best tool. :D

Question: Does the warden have to make skin contact, or does that factor in on how he can touch you and you die?
    If the MC can control earth, then technically they are a little to OP(over powered) for the task of escaping the prison. I am using this based on principal, but what are the conditions required for them to do so? If there is no real restraint on the MCs ability to manipulate the earth around them, then the whole prison break will be way to easy (OP character being challenged by an simple problem that becomes a nonissue as a result of the conditions they are in-Think Superman in a prison cell. He can simply leave when he likes by utilizing his strength, or heat vision to simply get out of the cell. Too OP for the problem to matter). That is why I bring up the question of what conditions have to be met for your MCs abilities to work. Secondly are the beings in your WIP magical, or are they mutants (like X-Men)? This is also important to know, because magic has far less restraint than mutation. Sorry to be so inquisitive, but from what I can tell, with what you have given me to consider at the present is: That your MC is trying way to hard to solve a simple problem (break out of prison), since they seem to be OP based upon their abilities. The only way you could hinder this ability would be to have them imprisoned in an orbital facility far away from the one element they can manipulate. Alternatively that the island they are on is completely artificial (like a giant buoy), that does not have the elements present to be utilized by the MC.

I am sorry to get technical about it, but it matters for the sake of making the challenge for characters to be 'challenging' if you will.

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  3. Kata_Misashi

Kata_Misashi Active Member

Cave Troll, thank you for your reply. I'll fill you in.

The warden has to be able to touch over the person's heart to kill them. Clothing or armor doesn't hinder him.

A bit more in depth with my MC's power. Able to alter earth he comes in contact with. If he's not in contact then he has no control, which is why they keep him within a restricted area of the prison so he can't use his powers. Later on he does find a small path of earth that he uses to travel from place to place but only if guards aren't paying attention.

While the MC (being a mixture of magic and mutations) could simply use earth to escape if he came in contact with it, some of the guards as well can counter with earth magic of their own(among technology and various other magic). If my character even thinks of using his skills, the guards will know and prepare themselves for him. My MC's strong but to take on a entire prison full of magic guards is too much for him 'alone'.

Now the magic in this world in general. Apart from the MC, the guards use crystals that allow for various abilities to be performed. To only just elemental powers but things like gravity, speed, and (mostly used in the prison) clairvoyance; among many other things.

I think I may have just made the scene far to easy for the MC but I've come so far already. >_<; The story is still a work in progress so time isn't a issue.

Hope this helps.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Oddly enough going the conventional route would be most effective. I know that sounds strange, but it would throw the guards off their game. Do the exact opposite of what they would expect. Try having them incite a riot, and use the chaos as a distraction for the escape.

As for the warden problem, I am not too sure how you can do that one. Need something that can be found that will allow the MC to keep him out of arms reach, while giving them the opportunity to strike them.

Good Luck. :p

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  5. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

Do you know what could prevent the warden from touching "you?" Fear, like an elephant is afraid of a mouse. I am thinking back to that scene from Dumbo, when the elephants were stacked on a ball, but then a little mouse caused the circus act to fall to pieces. What if proability girl figures out what are the likliest fears and then you attempt various methods. Nearly suffering death each time, only to finally break the "code." A fear? Kindness. Perhaps that is the irony. The man who kills by mere touch is afraid of those who are kind to him, even in the face of rage. He actually loses his strength through overbearing kindness. :p

Hmmm... The only thing that the warden can't kill is death itself. It is like this, he has no power over someone he's killed.
    In his mind, dead is dead. But what if the MC or the team somehow raised the dead to life... loyal to the MC.
    Even opponents of the MC and the 4 would become MC's warriors-- after death-- at MC's initiating. How is Death's Touch defeated?
    When he goes so long without "new blood." He dies, alone. At which point... a reset button is hit... because, it turns out, like Lego movie, the whole experience was a game. And the Player wants to play again.

just rambling... :)

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  6. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

oops... deleted.

7. Callista Reina

Callista Reina Member

I like the idea of inciting a riot for a breakout. I am curious about whether any of your characters can use actual weapons, since I feel like that would be the best way to fight someone whose touch you want to avoid. If your MC has some sort of physical weapon, maybe he could engage the warden in combat in order to distract him so that the other individuals that your MC asked to help him could catch the warden off guard and somehow detain or injure him. The only other type of defense that I can think of for this scenario would be some type of magical or elemental shield. Could your MC somehow steal a crystal from one of the guards and use it to fight the warden? Or would this power not be strong enough against the warden? I am not sure if any of these ideas are helpful, but maybe they can spark other ideas. Good luck!

Kata_Misashi likes this.
  8. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

What if the warden is an adept ninja and actually gives the MC a weapon, but it only ACTIVATES when the user is within feet of Death's Touch?
    This builds on your idea of the MC using a weapon, avoiding the Touch of Ono. (oh, no!)

again rambling