Why aren't experienced members doing reviews?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by CDRW, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

I have to say that the staff does work hard to make sure everyone follows the rules, but there is a lot of work to be done "catching" "post and run" member's threads. I won't assume the title of "experienced", and my post count is somewhat low. But more importantly, I haven't posted any work here recently because I'm taking a break from poetry, and I don't do many short stories. Currently, I am doing research and drafts on a novel.

But I do do my best to leave plenty thorough reviews. I have the same issue with the lower quality of work recently mentioned by another poster.

However, that wouldn't affect my response to a PM request from a member seeking critique--as long as they meet the review requirements--and I try to review a certain amount of work a week.

As a Reviewer with only my own writing and an e-zine poetry editor gig to do, I am here for any member who feels they aren't getting the kind of response they want. Many of the other Reviewers, such as the lovely Torana, may be busy now, and that is not their fault. I would be surprised if most of the more expereinced members didn't have other strong commitments.

If review requirements are met, experience level doesn't bother me. I'll review anything, though as skill level decreases, so my suggestions must increase. Feel free to PM me a request if you think my reviews are what you're looking for. I'm pretty much open for any genre besides romance and humour-but I'm willing to give those a shot.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't think of reviewing as a service provided by the forum. We - all of us - are the forum. And there are no experts here, all of us aree learning both from giving and receiving reviews,

It's a workshop system, where everyone contributes what they can when they can. That is a big part of why we have a pre-reviewing requirement because you may post something of your own. Everyone is expected to take part in, and benefit from, both the reviewer and reviewee roles.

That is also one reason I have devoted part of my reviewing time to reviewing reviews instead of reviewing the primary writing.

3. gigantes

gigantes Banned

that seems like a very healthy and productive way to look at it.

that's a fantastic idea IMO. is there a repository of your 'review reviews' or are they simply scattered across the review threads?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

They are scattered. I'm afraid most of them simply urge the reviewer to be more specific, though, Not any great insights. :)

5. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Great thread. Timely. Unfortunately, I don't have too much time to collate posts to review, but I intend rectifying that in the near future. I think more emphasis should be made on encouraging posters to at least have their work personally reviewed and readable before they post. If the basics were taken care of prior to posting, reviewers could spend more time focusing on plot, characterisation, style, etc. Still, I think it's a cracker of a forum and a fine service to upcoming writers.

6. Tsukuru

Tsukuru New Member

I will regrettably admit that the original reason I joined the writing forum was because I wanted some help with my work. In my defense, I stayed because I found that it is a great place to get things done. I haven't gotten many reviews on my writing, but I have learned a lot from just reviewing other people's writing.

I think I know a way to help stave off some of the "Post and Run" people that you are talking about. I know you already have the two reviews per self-submitted work rule, but wouldn't it also be a good idea to add a higher initial number? Sort of like paying at first then paying a subscription fee. You have to have something like 10 reviews before you can post a work, then you have to have 2 for every on after that. Or there could be a time limit, or some combination of the two.

7. Sato Ayako

Sato Ayako New Member

A higher initial number might scare other members off. Maybe five reviews would be more reasonable. That's about enough to get the feel of the review forms and will help you know what to expect when your own work is reviewed.

I believe that the rule here is for every work you post, you have to review two works. I've been to sites where that was the norm, but you also weren't allowed to post more than a story a week (three poems a week). I think part of the problem is people come here thinking reviews will help them improve their work more than actually reviewing. That's just not true. A good review will train your eye to spot problems in your own writing. If you do line-by-line reviews, you learn to spot the problems as you're actually writing (have to do a lot of them, though).

In another group I was in, you were required to prove you were integrated with the community before you were given access to the forums. Mods watched your behaviour and, after awhile, sent you PM that you had access to the critique boards. Not surprisingly, the board died for lack of member and member turn-over.

I think it's been mentioned before, but the bigger problems are the members who choose not to integrate much with the community and/or post works that are of low quality. I occasionally see a piece and think, 'did this writer even bother to read his/her work over before posting?' There's a difference between beginner bad and 'I-just-don't-give-a-spit' bad.

8. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

IMHO - it ain't broke...don't "fix" it.

9. gigantes

gigantes Banned

if it ain't broke, don't break it.
    -charles oakley

10. Sinora

Sinora New Member

Wow, now I'm feeling very guilty.

I posted something a very long while back just to see if I could write and never get to come back to post reviews on other people's thread as crises at work messed up my head. I did read works by others though, the very few times I did manage to drop in here for a few minutes or so, only my head was too much muddled up with what was going on at work to be much of a critic.

But anyway, work has settled somewhat and life is a little calmer and I promise I'll make an effort to put in my two cents' worth whenever I can.

I apologise for falling into the category of those who 'post and run'.

11. Milady

Milady Active Member

Like the others, I try to review a lot (I'm not sure if I qualify as "experienced," but bear with me). Recently, though, I've been working on things of my own, and I haven't been able to get around to things online.

Also, as some of the others point out, I've been finding a lot of things that are just painful to read. I help everyone as best as I can, even the people who need a lot of help (especially these, actually), but there are some places where I draw the line.

For example, the dreaded Wall of Text. Usually this is noted by the others and easily fixed before I get to it, and I am able to review. If the poster doesn't manage to fix it, though, I'm off for greener pastures.

As for the post requirement... my initial thought is, instead of requiring ten reviews, require ten posts, however many of which (or in addition to) must be reviews. This could cut down on the recent rash of two-post writers, who barely qualify for posting privelage.

But, like the others say, the system we have in place works. With mods making sure newbies aren't trying to cheat it, then it's all good.

12. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Okay, CDRW, who would you class as "experienced" members? People who have been here for a while? People who can write? People who have hours upon hours of free time to give to reviewing and writing?

I am sorry that what people are doing is apparently not good enough, and I am sorry that I am not reviewing as much, but I am doing in-depth reviews when I review something, and I am reviewing at least a peice a day usually, and I am putting an effort in. So are a lot of other people and it is not really fair to pin this on the people who have been here longer than everyone else.

also, people have lives. School and work and families mean sometimes, people are not around sa much as they wish they could be. I have been focusing on being ungrounded, getting coursework done, taking my Sceince GCSE's and going to Work experience for the last two months, so that slows me down. Hopefully during my summer holidays I will be reviewing more, due to free time.

Just keep reviewing yourself, and yes, try and encourage others to, that is great, but please do not expect people who have been here longer, to do all of the work.

13. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Edit: You know, I changed my mind. I don't want to keep this going.

1 person likes this.