1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why can't we edit/delete our own posts anymore?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mammamaia, Nov 19, 2011.

...since the changeover, we only have a day to do so, when many of us can't check each of our posts within that time frame... and besides, there are times when we need to edit a mistake, or delete a complete piece so it can be submitted for publication, etc. ...

...so it's really a major imposition and serious problem to not be able to edit our own posts... PLEASE change the editing function back to an open-ended one... or, if a limit must be imposed, at least make it long enough after the initial posting to not be a problem... say a year?

2. art

art Contributor Contributor

Deleting pieces that have been posted for review is very much frowned upon. It goes against the very purpose and spirit of the workshop. Attend to the site guidelines.

Editing general forum posts? Both inessential and often unhelpful.

If a slip or a typo has been made, then, what of it? Frankly, nobody cares.

More substantial editing of a post - that alters its tenor perhaps, or its emphasis - will often make a mockery of the posts that succeed it. Here, a new post is much the better approach.

3. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I'm sorry, I don't agree that we should be able to edit our own posts. What I don't agree with is that we should be able to DELETE a complete piece for publication as, from my understanding, this has NEVER been something that was encouraged. The writer should be considering whether or not they can spare the piece BEFORE they post it and deleting the piece after posting it here is a loss of a teaching/learning experience. Certainly having someone type-screaming that a piece needs to be deleted and submitted for publication immediately is counter-productive and probably something best done through PM (not on the review post as in a recent case), if someone really feels it's needed, as it may make other potential reviewers feel uneasy about reviewing a piece that has received such high praise from someone else. No piece is perfect. None.

I DON'T think we should be able to delete an entire post once posted. Writers should just consider more carefully before posting whether they're willing to give it up, and reviewers should consider their words more carefully before telling someone what a dreadful mistake they've made.

And, I agree with everything art says about the forum posts as well. But I believe your main issue, mamma, is a certain story up for review, so I've focused on that.

4. leafmould

leafmould New Member

Hmmmm.......does this mean that something posted here is barred from publication? I'd appreciate some info on this, as I was planning to post up something of mine which I hope to publish one day.

What would be the problem for a publisher if the work had been posted here?

5. Trish

No, if you post an excerpt of a short story, you're fine. If you post a chapter or two of a novel, you're fine. If you post an entire short story, first rights are pretty much gone. Because anyone can join and read for free. It's just something you should consider.

6. leafmould

leafmould New Member

Thanks, Trish. Well, what I have is way short of complete, so I'll get it up in the near future.

7. Trish

You're welcome, leafmould :D

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the fact remains that for all the years this site has been in existence, we were able to edit or delete our own posts indefinitely... so it can't be as bad a thing to do as some of you seem to think it is...

now, accidentally duped posts must be left to take up page space and remarks we would like to edit for mistakes or inadvertant [or otherwise] rudeness, etc., can't be corrected...

plus, when clueless new writers post an entire piece they hope to have published some day and then learn from more seasoned writers that they shouldn't, they're kept from deleting it or at least deleting most of it and leaving only an excerpt that won't harm their chances of selling it...

9. Trish

And... the fact remains that we were NOT able to delete our post if we had begun a thread and we were NOT able to delete a story we posted for review. Not since I've been here anyway, and I was certainly here before the switch.

And if a writer is 'clueless' it's their own fault, not a lack of information as it states clearly in the Forum Rules (and always has since I've been here):

"By posting, you are granting limited use. Specifically, retention or removal of that piece of writing from the site is solely at the discretion of the site administration team, and members may quote the submission in full or in part for the purpose of critique within that thread."