1. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Need help with an idea

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Stammis, Oct 19, 2015.

Hi, I need ideas! I have made it so that a book, that the protagonist is carrying, is the most important item in the story. However, I have problems making it believable for him to conveniently carry around a book all the time.

Because he always carries it I would have to explain every time he takes it of during battle, describe when it is in the way for some reason, or simply ignore the detail that he is carrying it until he actually uses it.

I could probably make it into a very small book but I imagine it to be this epic book, because that is what it is. It should at least have some draw to it that makes it seem valuable or mysterious. Before I make any changes, I would like to hear if you guys have any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

I am assuming that this is your first novel called the Book of Legacy. It is a fantasy novel about a teenage boy and his journey through the land of Avos. His mother possesses a book that she reads every day. The book has mysterious signs that nobody can read but her.

Ok, how about the book can only be seen in its true form by those with the power to do so. It might be a mere scroll until held in the hands of those with the prerequisite power to handle it, at which time additional pages flourish from the ether. Or something.

3. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Are you asking:

1. For a reason he is seen carrying it?

or

2. How you should describe it? Such as how often and in what way?

To anwser both. Yes, you need a reason. I don't think anything is going to clue a reader in faster to something being important, more than you constantly talking about it but not saying anything. Not only does this give away the twist, it is just boring to sit throw. I can't answer why because I don't know what it can do, or what purpose it serves. Whether it is important to him or can do something you want the reader to have some idea of what it is. The point is that idea is wrong, but for them to be shocked by that, they need to have an idea.

Now, how to mention it. The term Red-Herring is your friend. If you are unaware, that refers to a false clue. You want to imply its importance in another way. Example. Say, it is his mothers book. His mother is dead, so the book has sentimental value to him. (probably not the reason, but it is just an example) Now occasionally you can mention the book in relation to him thinking of his mother. Or almost losing it. Or it almost being destroyed. A reader will connect with the percieved importance, which is that it is important to him and he is almost losing it. Which will put them in the perfect frame of mind to shock them by revealing what it really is.

4. Stammis

Stammis Banned

I am sorry. Do you not approve of my signature or something? Because it sounded very sarcastic. On another note, that is not a bad idea. I will consider it.

5. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Sorry for being unclear. Non of those questions are correct. (I edited the post to make it more clear) The question that I try to get across, is that I need suggestions that makes it believable that he is carrying a book all the time (physically). The book has two types of importance, but it is not obvious at the off set. It is as you say, the first is that it belonged to his mother. I dont think any more information is necessary for what I am asking though. It is a lot to explain after all.

6. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

I fail to see anything sarcastic in Chinspinner's post, maybe your original post was worded much differently. Chinspinner seemed to have offered some good ideas considering it is a fantasy.

I read your post and first thought of the Bible, then the Koran and finally the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so the idea of always carrying a book is not really unusual for many people. So from that view point I don't think you have to justify why a person carries a book to any significant extent. Sounds like a good story concept so I hope you don't get hung up on this particular issue.

Chinspinner and Stammis like this.
  7. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Thx. I sometimes post before thinking long and hard about an issue. I think I have a way that might work.

8. Morgan Stelbas

Morgan Stelbas Active Member

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but could your character carry some sort of sachel or pack that carries the book, that is slung over his shoulder(s) securely, so he doesn't have to worry about dropping it during battles, and his hands would be free?

Am I way off?

Stammis likes this.
  9. Stammis

Stammis Banned

I guess that he could come across something like that in the story. Instead of having a common pouch that dangles around he could have something more secure. Now that I think about it, I donĀ“t really explain exactly what they are wearing. The design of their cloths and accessories. Thx!

10. Morgan Stelbas

Morgan Stelbas Active Member

Sounds like an interesting story! Glad I could help. :)

11. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

The book was given to him by his dead father/mother/grandparent/sibling and it's the last thing that he has of theirs? Carrying the book becomes a symbol of that lost person? Backstory concerning their relationship when the hero takes out the book and reads it?

tonguetied likes this.
  12. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

This makes me think of the movie "Guardians of the Galaxy", I didn't read the book but assume the whole thing with the cassette tape is in that.

13. Stammis

Stammis Banned

It is a symbol of his dead, or perhaps not dead mother. But the book also has a larger significance, that is why it is written in a language that, seemingly, only his mother is able to understand.