1. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

why do i get my best ideas in the small hours of the morning?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by dave_c, Dec 12, 2010.

During the day i write and find that i get little done but once it hits 3am and onwards i can write for ages without stopping.
    just wondering if anyone else was like this and if there is a particular reason

2. digitig

digitig Contributing Member Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    1. Fewer distractions; and
    2. Your "inner critic" is probably one of the first bits of your brain to go to sleep.

3. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^LOL, I find I write so much better at night too. I don't know why exactly, but I think it's because my brain goes into a semi-conscious state where it's still able to communicate to my body what functions to perform. But that's as far as it goes. The analytical part of my brain that edits as I write goes to sleep.

4. JetMasta

JetMasta Member

you are not the only one, my friend.
    i spend a large chunk of my early morning creating and writing.
    and as a result my sleeping patterns have changed dramaticly, dont let this happen to you. Belive me, it sucks.

5. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

This explains a lot of my insane ideas written in my head in the wee hours of the morning that seem so insane when I wake up fully. :rolleyes: Good thing I am away from my keyboard or I might have some stuff that'd get me committed. xD

1 person likes this.
  6. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete Member

It's very likely that you are an insomniac. Join the club. ;)

7. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Each of us is not one mind.

There are two hemispheres to our brain (plus a brain stem) that operate somewhat on their own. If separated, the two hemispheres are, indeed, capable of completely autonomous thought.

Within each hemisphere, different regions have different jobs. This is how we argue with ourselves whether or not to eat another helping of chocolate cake.

And ... we have two brains operating in parallel with each other - our grey matter and our white matter. One operates quickly via charged ions zipping between cells. The other is slower, with hormones and neurotransmitters creeping between cells. When these two come into conflict we have the situations where we make the "right" choice quickly, then have a gradual building of "no no no no no".

In the small hours, some of these minds are quiet (there's no chocolate cake to argue over), while others are still going strong.

-Frank

8. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

which hemisphere is telling to eat the cake.....and why does it always win?

seriously though, brilliant answer frank, love learning new stuff like this.

9. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete Member

Which part of my neuroanatomy is the white matter?

10. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

the bit that isnt grey matter :D

11. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I think it's a matter of what else is occupying your mind at the time, as well as your environment. I often do a lot of my writing after midnight because everyone else is asleep (or, if my son is not asleep, he is engrossed in video games or 'net surfing) and so there are few distractions. But then if I keep at it too long, fatigue takes over and the quality of my writing suffers. I've usually done my best writing when I take days off for that purpose - the house is empty, there's nothing on my to-do list, I'm sharp and I can really plow into it.

I also think age may have something to do with all of this. As I get older, all-nighters don't accomplish as much as they used to.

12. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle Senior Member

I would be inclined to suspect that you write better at these times because you are more relaxed as your brain waves slow from beta to alpha waves, which triggers an increase in your melatonin levels. You are in an awake daydream state.

In sound sleep (Theta), melatonin increases the occurrence of dreams, so it is logical that melatonin would also have an affect on awake daydream states of mind perhaps even increasing creative thought.

Google: Brain waves, Alpha Brain Waves, Melatonin

13. scribbledhopes

scribbledhopes Member

This is funny, Same goes for Me.. I always though it was because all the Distractions are gone. Interesting.

14. Klogg

Klogg Member

It's because that is the point when your logical part of the brain shuts off and your creative part of the brain is not inhibited by the logical side contradicting it.

15. Alterra

Alterra New Member

Whenever I am about to go to sleep or feel tired I play some Music from the album Cendre- beautiful stuff- and my mind goes sort of into the dream state of creating and experiencing (like the movie inception explains) and I am able to create something that seems entirely inspired from nothing at all.

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's a common phenomenon... and it happens for the same reason so many get some of their best ideas while 'enthroned' to put it politely, or in the bath/shower...

it's 'down time' when your mind is generally freed from distractions... your thinking mechanism is 'in idle' so to speak... so little niggling things that've been trying to get your attention when you've been otherwise occupied are freed to jump out and be noticed...

which is why ever since i started writing seriously over a quarter century ago, i've always kept a pen and something to write on handy by [sometimes even on] my bed and in my old life years, even kept them in the bathroom...

i even devised a way to write page-long passages in the dark for when i didn't want to wake all the way up by turning on the light... i wrote most of the story line and the opening scenes of my first screenplay that way... i dreamt the first part, wrote it down at 4am, put myself back into the dream to find out what happened next, then got that down on paper at 6am, before catching another hour's sleep...

17. Biffa001

Biffa001 Member

I've been finding that too. At about midnight and just after as I am relaxed in bed my mind wanders through my story and I start acting it out in my head, like watching a film. The story moves on and I get some great ideas.

Then I fall asleep...

Fortunately I have been able to remember the gist of my thoughts the next day as I am not at the stage of getting up and writing anything down at 1am or later. Too tired ;)

18. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Hahha! I know what you mean. I used to get weird crazy ideas too, and when I actually got to telling my sister, she'd just look at me with a strange expression on her face and said, "Okay. . ." Not that she isn't supportive. I just have different ideas than her :D

19. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

I find that in the late night I have a tendency to get more ideas. There have been nights where I have laid down to sleep and my brain just doesn't shut off. So I have to get up and release all that energy somewhere. Generally, I release it on a story idea or free writing session.

20. thenewpeter

thenewpeter Senior Member

I'm the same with both writing and drawing (illustrator to be). The later I get, the more easily I can work, I can never work properly in the morning, which can be a really big drag at college, takes me half of the day to get into the swing of things :(.

21. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

I used to have it the same way, but after I moved in with my girlfriend and changed my schedule, all my best stuff happens after waking up in the morning and in late afternoons. I think it remains relative to your sleeping pattern, not attached to specific hours of the day. You can have a normal day rhythm and still make use of the "creative hours", if you so wish.

22. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributing Member Contributor

Huh... Neuroscience and writing. *blinks* I'm too tired to take that all in. :p

As I get tired I get more easily distracted... I can write a lot, but only if I'm constantly chatting on MSN, checking the internet, etc. The best time for me to write in a long uninterrupted block is mid afternoon. I think I've just got used to spending 90% of all my days plonked in front of a computer.

23. Trilby

Trilby Contributing Member Contributor

Possibly, Free from the noise and distractions of the daytime, your conscious mind has relaxed and your subconscious as kicked in. Don't knock it - run with it.

p.s. This may give you blood shot eyes but, lucky you!