1. loverofcreations

loverofcreations Member

Why do journalists write junk such as this?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by loverofcreations, Jun 22, 2016.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/man-dies-after-suffering-burns-at-glastonbury-festival-34819298.html

This meme got old the first time they posted about it. There was a hoaxed 'video' and some article about a German woman that nobody knew the name of (how convenient...) I still don't get it! It's another sneaky article trying to go on about spontaneous human combustion. I've literally seen 5 of these in the past year. It's spam.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Journalists write stories that will get people to buy newspapers.

I was involved first-hand in several events back in the 80s and 90s that were reported in the newspapers. The first time, I was amused that they didn't get the facts straight. The second time, I sensed there was something odd going on because twice they'd embellished or outright changed the facts. The third time, the reporter came right out and told me he planned to spice things up to make a good story (this was on the set of Superman III being shot in Calgary circa 1982).

By the last time, in 1991, I'd come to accept that newspapers only exist so people will look at the ads. To get you to look at the ads, they have to draw you in. That's why newspaper stories (or TV and Internet news stories) are so sensationalized.

I confess I didn't follow the link you posted, but seriously, I doubt I have to in order to answer the question.

Shattered Shields likes this.
  3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

A lot of online "journalism" now is clickbait - at least for some sites. I don't know how well respected the Belfast Telegraph is, but papers like The Metro are as guilty of it as many entertainment sites.

Not that I'd ever write a sensationalist headline in order to get clicks :whistle:

4. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure if they changed the article but there's nothing in there about spontaneous combustion.

5. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Journalists are the worse people in the world. I am dead serious. It's no secret that CNN, the New York Times, and all the other big news outlets are literally producing lie after lie. That means the people delivering these articles are delivering lies and they are OK with it. Maybe there was a time that journalism was respectable, but today, it's primarily for scumbags.

Lifeline and Solar like this.
  6. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

Online journalism is more opinion pieces than actually news anymore. Best is to try and stick to one main site and filter though the opinions to try and get actual news. I try to stick with CNN, but they are brutal now also.

7. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I'll tell you why. $$$$$

Malisky likes this.
  8. Oscar Leigh

That's pretty harsh. :ohno:

9. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

I can understand where he's coming from. Journalists don't report news anymore.

If you ever get a chance, anyone, look up "Dirty Laundry" by Don Henley, that'll provide some good context.

Lifeline likes this.
  10. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

A quick story.

Many years ago there was a concert on the shores of Belfast Lough. It was an all day affair. Big line up. The last band of the day didn't show. The following day there was an article in the Belfast Telegraph telling of how the sun sank behind the Craigantlet Mountains as the band took to the stage. Then followed an account of the set list, the crowd reaction... you get the drift.

I should also probably point out that said mountains are East of Belfast. The sun was in the opposite part the the sky. If you are gonna lie to your audience, at least have the decency to try and be convincing about it.

Idiots.

11. Oscar Leigh

So they pretended the band did get there and put the wrong mountains? That is not ethical (or intelligent) journalism, yes.

12. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

@Oscar Leigh Yep... fabricated the whole thing, and must have somehow missed the observation that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West.

The paper is bad but the website is worse.

13. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Although I wouldn't say all journos are scum, I am glad you see through the bullshit. So many people lap it up like it's gospel. The word democracy comes from the Greek demos (people or common people) and kratos (power, strength, rule). Essentially it means the power is with the people. But if the people are low on intellectual power, the democracy is lame. And there are many, many people with undernourished intellects in the world.

And they're tasked with choosing their respective governments! Is it any wonder, then, that civilization is pretty screwed right now?

14. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

There are definitely reputable news sources and media outlets out there, but there's also a lot of stupid BS. Like the Daily Mail for example - I mean come on.

If you know that stupid "news" articles will make you angry though, the best thing to do is just avoid them. Life's too short and your time is precious.

15. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

But...

a guy did die at Glastonbury...so...

KPMay likes this.
  16. KPMay

KPMay Member

What? The article doesn't mention anything about spontaneous combustion and a guy did die at Glasto from being burned.. it's unclear how yet, that's true. But I don't see anything wrong with the article.

matwoolf likes this.
  17. AliceSpice

AliceSpice Banned

Because they're desperate for attention.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  18. Constance Cole

Constance Cole New Member

It's because theyre after people who will buy the newspapers/people who will read their articles.

A lot of buzzfeed articles leave something to be desired, but people often click those articles because of the misleading titles.