Tags:
?

Do you think everry story should end with the problem solved?

1. yes

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. no

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  3. why

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. qwertyportne

qwertyportne Member

Why Do You Read?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by qwertyportne, Jan 29, 2015.

One of my reasons for reading is to improve my writing. But I also read for reasons that have nothing to do with my writing. P. D. James, the famous mystery writer, put her finger on one of my most important reasons: "The more we live in a society in which we feel our problems are literally beyond our ability to solve, the more reassuring it is to read a popular form of fiction which itself has a problem at the heart of it--one which the reader knows will be solved by the end of the story."

What are some of the reasons you read?

2. nastyjman

nastyjman Contributing Member

Getting inside the narrator and/or a character's head is fun. This is something that movies and TV are bereft of (not all the time. There are narrative movies, which most film critics don't like). Also, you get to be the film director of the book. You bring your own actors, your own props, your own creative vision on the film screen inside your mind.

Skyes likes this.
  3. aguywhotypes

aguywhotypes Active Member

to get better at writing.

4. Lancie

Lancie Contributing Member

Just for the enjoyment of reading. I've been on a big non-fiction binge lately.

5. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributing Member Contributor

A good story will expose my faults within a character and make me realize that I am in fact human.

6. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

I've always enjoyed reading as entertainment more than TV or films. My imagination creates far grander, more colourful, more dramatic environments and characters than most actors and films.

I never read just to learn how to write. I may read a particular book(s) to learn period styles and language styles, but I would still pick an entertaining book and not a textbook.

Also I can enjoyable read for five minutes or several hours as I choose, while TV and films work best when you are able to watch the entire thing through in one go.

7. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

To become a better writer, entertain myself and become smarter.

8. daemon

daemon Contributing Member Contributor

If someone talks to me, or talks about something that interests me, then I listen.

If someone writes to me, or writes something that interests me, then I read.

Simple as that. Writing is simply one of the ways we communicate to each other, so "why do you read?" is a specific version of "when people communicate to you, why do you pay attention?"

Some of the best things people can do for each other are accomplished by communicating to each other.

9. Crawl

Crawl Member

I enjoy reading, but I am forced to read only business literature for the last 8 months.

10. TheClassified

TheClassified Member

I read a lot on the internet. Mainly topics about science, and computer science issues. Especially with science, if you don't constantly read it, you quickly forget what it was about. But somehow, something stays. That's why reading is important for me. You might forget the book name, the characters, the plot, hell even the whole month when you read the novel. But there will always be something that stays. When you read, you ask yourself many questions. Be it in science, where the article starts with a question or a good book with an open ending. Your mind spends time trying to solve it, and somehow, something of this story stays. It forms you, it gives you something. Maybe in a moment of need, your subconsciousness picks up something you've read and helps you to get along. Maybe during the next discussion you notice that your motivation slightly changed. All this comes from a good story.
    Even a sieve needs to be washed, because there will always be a piece stuck in between.

11. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

I read it for the stories. That's the same reason I write. Stories can come in any form. I believe that movie is actually the best format, but because it is expensive and more difficult there are whole lot of stories that I would miss if I didn't read.
    Reading non-fiction is a great form of education too.

12. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

Depends what I'm reading. I read business communication b/c I need the information in it. I read non-fiction to inform myself and develop my opinions about the world.

Fiction? I used to read it to get lost in other worlds. Since I started writing, I have a harder time doing that (too focused on the craft, I think), but I still always hope it might happen...

13. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Really depends on what I'm reading. Literature is very thought provoking and can be a little slow. I want to see new ideas and new perspectives on old ideas. I want to be challenged. For poetry - I want to feel the music of the words. To be dazzled. For non-fiction I want to learn new things. For genre - I want entertainment and to engage with the character.