Why Do You Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Raven, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Tarasafe

Tarasafe New Member

I choose to write because I believe I am good at and it's my passion to give words to my ideas.Writing liberates me.

2. KPMay

KPMay Member

1. There wasn't exactly what I wanted to read out there, so I needed to write it!
    2. I have vivid dreams sometimes, and I write them out so they aren't forgotten.
    3. I get inspired by other things I read or watch, and want to put my own spin on it :)

3. haider

haider Member

1)What compels you to write?
    Holding story within its holding piss , who wouldn't feel relief to let go of it .
    2)Why do you write?
    I feel I have to do it
    3)What makes you write what you write?
    My fear of future
    4)What Made you decide you liked to write?
    how characters become real ,and I actually mean it .I would like to hang our with them.
    5)What Do You Write?
    Fantasy earlier 19 century industrial revolution

4. MissBri

MissBri New Member

I'm not compelled to write, I've just always loved to write.
    That's like asking why do I breathe--I write to live.
    My many interests in various subject matter.
    I never decided to like writing, it just happened.
    Normally, I write somewhere in the realm of paranormal/si-fi/fantasy, but I'm no stranger to poetry either.

5. A man called Valance

A man called Valance Senior Member

What compels you to write?

That little flame of creativity.

Why do you write?

Because I can and because an illiterate Irishman I never knew, my grandfather, could not. It pains me to imagine his frustration.

What makes you write what you write?

Since I can't read what I want to read, I write it myself.

What made you decide you liked to write?

A few word of praise from a teacher, a long time ago.

What Do You Write?

Crap, it seems, but I’ll persevere.

Crybaby and Oscar Leigh like this.
  6. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Sadly my writing isn't compulsive, would be great if it was.

Why do you write?

Because I think I have something worth reading.

My ideas on how the world is, clashing with how it presents itself, contrasted with how we think it should be.

What made you decide you liked to write?

Oh, I don't like writing, I actually hate it; writing has so many rules and properly communicating your intent to another person is the closest thing to futile I've ever attempted.

What Do You Write?

Whatever comes to mind.

So yeah, I'm an aspiring writer who hates to write... but I have these ideas and stories that I need other people to hear. Maybe none of this makes it off the ground, I've accepted that I could be just another voice screaming into the wind, but I've got lungs and not much else to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
    Crybaby and Oscar Leigh like this.
  7. Kricket

Kricket New Member

This is my first post. I certainly hope I don't sound like a tin foil hat wearing nut job, because I'm really quite sane, but here goes:

What compells you to write?
    It's the only way to get the voices out of my head. My current project has been playing out in my head like a movie for months.
    Why do you write?
    Because once a story is in my head, it won't quit until I've written it down.
    My current project is a sci-fi adventure that started with a dream and it wouldn't go away, so I started writing.
    What Made you decide you liked to write?
    That's sort of asking why I like to eat? I never made a decision to like to write. I just do.
    What Do You Write?
    Right now, it's sci-fi adventure, but I've also written a childrens novella that has been up on Amazon for two years. I also have an unfinished mystery in my head that won't leave me alone.

8. Roodkapje

Roodkapje New Member

I do feel this overwhelming urge to write, but writing has never been easy for me. In fact, writing scares me. I doubt myself, I feel insecure when I'm writing, but I also very much love everything about it. Writing is the only way I can make sense of things.

Why do you write?
    I love creating something with words. Writing, even though it comes with so many insecurities, also makes me feel good.

My blog: I want to create more awareness for invisible illnesses, and I have something to say. I feel passionate about it.
    My stories/poetry: I'm not entirely sure. It's the way my mind works, I guess. I love exploring, and writing allows me to do that.

Decide? I don't know if I did decide. I don't even like writing a lot of the time, for reasons stated. At the same time, I don't want to do without.

What Do You Write?
    Mostly fantasy/sci-fi/thriller/romance.

Crybaby and Fara like this.
  9. Fara

Fara New Member

I love to read. It's something that helps me relax and rewind at the end of a stressful day. It transports me to brand new world where (slightly vain) I am the heroine for once. It makes me feel special and talented. And when the characters I read about have happy endings, well it makes me feel like I will have a happy ending too. I’m sure that’s a reason a lot of people like to read; it gives me an escape.

But why do I like to write? Well after so many stories your brain can’t help but start building characters, stories and worlds too. It got to a point that I actually struggled to sleep at night because my mind would be busy creating characters and stories. I needed a way to compartmentalize it, so it would stop affecting all other parts of my life (college work etc)

And so I decided to maybe try writing stories, incorporating all these unique characters and worlds into them. And it worked, it sieved all of my ideas from my brain onto the screen leaving more room in my brain to do other stuff.

Plus, let’s face it writing is fun! I love the thrill and excitement of creating characters, stories and worlds from scratch. Its satisfying to see something you create come to life. Even if my work is never acknowledged, published or read by anyone (which I don’t mind because my stories suck.) writing makes me happy. I’m not going to stop.

Plus, they seem sort of private, they’re my thoughts. Like writing a diary? It’s hard to share it with other people in fear of them making fun of something you created yourself.

10. Vanthu

Vanthu Member

I just feel like it sometimes, so I write.

Why do you write?
    I am bored a lot, so it's something I do.

Just whatever I think of.

I went to camp and one of the activities was creative writing, so I went there, and planned out Vanthu (my first story), and had a lot of fun.

What Do You Write?

Realistic fiction, sometimes serious, sometimes fun (and a little less realistic than usual).

11. Vagrant Tale

Vagrant Tale Active Member

Lots of reasons. I used to make up stories with my sister when we were small...and once I wrote a short story as an assignment in 6th grade, and it was so good that I got suspended because the teacher said I had to have plagiarized it (even though they had no evidence) and it was violent. Another teacher in 7th grade read another short story I wrote and said I was a "gifted writer." I was so distracted by video games as a teen, I never revisited writing, and always associated it with me getting in big trouble.

I guess I do it out of fear now. Fear that I could have been something better, but I never tried, and never gave myself a fair chance. That I was too distracted and weak to commit myself to something.

12. natalia cabas

natalia cabas New Member

I like to write it´s not for me a compell I write about my short experince in my life, I mean all bad or good things that I happen everyday.
    I write because it´s a way for me to convey my thoughts and feelings and I think is the best way to other people really can make out what I mean.
    Actually I think the communication it´s very bad among human begins and we are really complicated and the best way to convey something is writting.

13. BWriter

BWriter Member

I have no idea what compells me to write but I am glad it's there
    I write because I enjoy it, it is fun to create people.
    Again I am not really sure what makes me write the things I do, I get an idea and if it sticks around long enough it gets written.
    What I write has changed a lot. I thought i wanted to write crime fiction but over the last year that has turned into just broad fuction. I like normal people in normal situations. Not so exciting with twists every page but real. Hopefully.

14. Lypsee

Lypsee New Member

I am new to writing in a recreational and occupational way. I want to create new story narratives i feel are greatly missing from modern/ current black authors. I want to bring alive characters that aren't often read or written in stories. I hope to bring in a larger audience of recreational readers to genre's they might not know interest them.

Persephone in Ireland likes this.
  15. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I'm in it for the cash and prizes. ;)

16. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Hang on mate!

A man called Valance likes this.
  17. Oscar Leigh

Me too, mate. Me too. :cry::cry:

18. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

All those questions have the same answer. Because I like to write.

No great mystery. No ulterior motives. No delusions of grandeur.

I like to write. Simple as that.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  19. SoulGalaxyWolf

SoulGalaxyWolf Active Member

It's something I really want to do. I don't want to give up on it and it's something I want to pursue as my career path. I believe it's the only thing I fully feel passionate about. It's out of the question for me to toss it to the side simply because I'm not good enough or a thousand people dislike it.

Why do you write?
    I want to get better at it. I love the organized, structured, and free falling aspect of writing. You can write anything. Nothing is impossible in writing. I feel free when I write and I love making characters and conflicts and communicating lessons within the story. Making up journeys, planets, worlds...it's simply amazing. I put myself in the story. Such incredible adventures I could make for whoever is reading.

Whatever is not real in the real world could happen in books. Exploring the worlds I create and the lives I make is enjoyable. Sometimes you could reach others without knowing them and it's really nice. Everyone could take something different out of what you make.

I don't know, I just did. I found that writing was fun and I kept doing it. Well, in third Grade I had written a three-page story that was assigned to be one page. I was really enjoying myself and I wanted to elaborate more on it. It was about finding an egg under your bed and it hatched. I was proud of it back then =w=

What Do You Write?
    I usually write fantasy or Sci-fi. Recently I've been writing more poetry and started to write short horror stories.

Oscar Leigh and minstrel like this.
  20. theamorset

theamorset Member

1. what compels you to write? 'Compel' suggests some sort of emotional pressure or need. I simply enjoy writing. Immensely.

2. why do you write? Again, because I enjoy doing so.

3. What makes you write what you write? I write about things that interest me. Things I'm curious about, would like to learn more about, things that I feel deeply about.

4. What made you decide you liked to write? I never decided I liked to write. I just always enjoyed it. I was drawing and writing little stories from a very young age. There was no one point at which I realized I liked to write. It was just always something I did. I didn't actually think about it.

5. What do you write? Short stories, novels, essays and the occasional speech. It needs to be a subject about which I have a strong passion. I have a lot of passion for many ideas and subjects, so it's not difficult to find something to write about.

21. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

What compells you to write? The little voice in the back of my head.

Why do you write? To make it shut up

What makes you write what you write? I like fantasy. I'm disappointed that a word that means literally anything that can be thought of has a standard template.

What Made you decide you liked to write? This is just the first and second question rewritten.

What Do You Write? Non traditional fantasy.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. Oscar Leigh

Ah, the voices. You know, mine come complete with incessant imagery and even sound effects and music. :p Consider yourself lucky...

23. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Mine just do world building and then its just "You should write stuff. Do it now. The world buildings is pointless, no one will care unless there's a good story."

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  24. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

I write because I enjoy the craft and people tell me they enjoy what I've written, especially when it makes them laugh.
    Also, I'd be lying if I said I write for myself exclusively. That's part of it, but I want to see success at the end of it, which I will.

25. cydney

cydney Banned

I write because I have to. It makes me feel better.

I've tried to pretend otherwise - that I have some great fantastic 'calling' - but it's just not true.

I write because I have to get out what's inside me before it festers. :)

That may not make sense to everyone but if it does, you know exactly what I mean.

Oscar Leigh likes this.