Why Do You Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Raven, Jun 13, 2007.

1. xoa78

xoa78 New Member

I have always wanted to write, my husband is a screen writer and has won awards for his short films so he is always pushing me to write as he believes I have a talent. I just haven't found my genre and have only wrote a few poems and one short story, but I loved it. As a teenager I always wrote poems and short stories, I guess I lost confidence when i grew up. But now I feel ready. After writing one I have so many ideas.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think writing makes a lot of people feel better. We get to get lost in this world for hours at a time and at the end we have created something like art. I don't know if writing is my calling (I would love for that to be true), but it is what I want to do with my life and pretty much have been doing in one way or another for much of my life. Anyway, I think all of us probably know where you are coming from on some level.

This is an unrelated question. Why are you starting each new sentence on a new line in your posts? I've seen a few people doing this lately. I don't get it. I hope the people who post like this aren't writing like this. But why write your post this way?

Oscar Leigh and cydney like this.
  3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Your enthusiasm comes through. I wish you a lot of luck. Are you trying to write genre? I mostly write short stories and poems as well. I mostly stick to literary fiction, but every now and then I dabble in soft science fiction and fantasy. It's never enough for it to be really considered genre. And I don't venture into genre very often. But one story down is great. Keep it up. Also (I hope this isn't too personal), but how is it being married to another writer? I was recently asked out by another writer. I turned down the date for other reasons, but it has me thinking about if I could really be with another writer.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. cydney

cydney Banned

I don't know why I'm doing that. Probably some sort of ADD problem I have. But I'll certainly try not to! Thanks for the prompt. By the way, here's a clue - I'm no spring chicken. ;) Maybe that has something to do with it. My thoughts are all spread out. Don't know!

5. cydney

cydney Banned

@deadrats I clicked on reply to answer you but it didn't show up. Anyway, the above reply was to you. :)

6. cydney

cydney Banned

@deadrats Now I want to defend myself. I don't write like that in my blog. Not too much anyway.

Oh you know what it could be? I'm using to writing poetry ALL the time - you (I) sort of get/got this frame of mind. Doesn't explain it but might be part of the reason.

7. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

What compells you to write?

When I was younger I used to listen to music in my headphones, (loud) and make up videos in my head. It used to be me as the singer, like the film Grease. I'd be out in the street or in the school dining hall, and I would break into song just to have a conversation and to get my point across loud and clear, and in style. I'd blow away all my friends (and they would be my real life friends, too) with my astounding, Whitney vocals and some funky, Paula Abdul moves. (I was an 80's teen, okay, bare with) By doing this, I would get the attentions of the boy I fancied at the time. The luxury of imagination was that I could make me popular, cool to be around and also look like anyone I wanted (Weird Science) Yes, for a while, I was Kelly Le Brock (Dear me) but this led me to the idea that I could also create characters and senarios on paper, too.

Why do you write?

It is fun and a stimulant.

What makes you write what you write?

Reading a good book often inspires me and gets my writing juices flowing and I can't wait to get started. Other times it could be someting on T.V or hearing a conversation in a restaurant or on a train. Another might be that I've enjoyed a book or film and the direction of the plot or characters makes me mad because my idea was much better and so off I go. (it probably isn't better, but it makes me feel better to at least try and make it more interesting, if only for me)

What Made you decide you liked to write?

All the above as well as building up the courage to pass my completed first draft of a story to my boss, who happened to tell everyone in a training session at work, one of his past times was writing stories. I couldn't ignore this vital peice of information. I longed to talk with someone who had the same passion as me. After speaking to each other about what we'd written, my manager asked to read my story. It took me 6 months to hand it over. He read it and after some well needed constructive feedback and alterations to the story line he encouraged me to do something with it. He said he enjoyed reading it. (Blushes) I was motivated even more to write then, and the confidence boost it gave me, well, it was immense only...confidence doesn't last long does it.

What Do You Write?
    Romance, self-discovery...life, although I have started to write a story about a witch. Not a glamour witch. That ones been on re-run for way too long people.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  8. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

I know exactly what you mean when you say your scared to write. I feel that often, and if I've left my work open, whilst makeing a drink, and I come back to find my partner anywhere near my work or reading it even, I completely freak out and get embarressed. Weird but true.

9. Georgina Bass

Georgina Bass Member

Here, I have noticed that majority has answered the questions well. But what irritates me is the spelling of word "compel," which is not right even from the start of thread. It's not a good sign for any writer to make spelling mistakes.

Crybaby and Oscar Leigh like this.
  10. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Yes and no. It's not a huge deal, publishers have editors and beta readers can do that too. But yeah, you may as well check it because it makes the thing more effective.

11. Georgina Bass

Georgina Bass Member

That's what my point is. At least one should have noticed it.

12. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

You are so right!
    I'm ashamed of myself. How did I not see that? Guess I should throw the towel in, right now. :superlaugh:

13. A man called Valance

A man called Valance Senior Member

I agree, but like the fisherman said, never tug the line till you've checked there ain't a hook under your ass. Just do as I did a couple of pages back... spell it correctly and enjoy a (rare) superior moment.
    *Catches towel, throws it back.* You might be needing this @Crybaby

Georgina Bass and Oscar Leigh like this.
  14. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

:cry:........oh....:superlaugh:Brilliant!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  15. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

It's probably not a good sign to get too caught up in spelling mistakes, either, especially on an internet forum.

Typos happen. As long as they don't interfere with the content, I try to ignore them.

deadrats, Oscar Leigh and Crybaby like this.
  16. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

Why does one write ? To claim that you are here and to sort of own up to your existence via expression.

Even if your work doesn't get published, or even posted somewhere on the immense pages of the www, writing stuff down anywhere remains a shot at eternity.

And yes, I also firmly believe that writing offers a great sense of relief for those who express their ideas (themselves) via this art.

Oscar Leigh and Crybaby like this.
  17. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

Thank god your here because I'm typo queen. :superwink:

Oscar Leigh and BayView like this.
  18. Oscar Leigh

'S what editing is for. Don't worry about it much.

Crybaby likes this.
  19. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

Trust me, this is all light hearted. I don't worry about spelling mistakes, at all. Like you say, that's what editing is for.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  20. Safety Turtle

Safety Turtle Senior Member

I write because I need an outlet for all my ideas to keep my head from exploding and because I want to share it.

Strangely, I don't really enjoy he writing process itself as such, but more creation of the world, characters and the story.

halisme, Oscar Leigh and Crybaby like this.
  21. Oscar Leigh

You'll learn to love it. :supersmile::supersmile:

22. Georgina Bass

Georgina Bass Member

I agree with you but when it repeats again and again, it's good to catch them up.

A man called Valance and Crybaby like this.
  23. Samantha Leigh

Samantha Leigh New Member

1. What compels you to write? Everything really. I have always been a reader, fascinated with so many stories and wrapped into all of these different worlds.

2. Why do you write? A few years back I lost my mother and years before that my father had passed. I found myself lost and making choices that weren't in my character. So I'm at the point in my life where I want to move on and heal. Writing has been seeing me through.

3. What makes you write what you write? Mostly I gain inspiration from my own life. Or someone close to me.

4. What made you decide you like to write? Well it's all been pretty new to me. Someone had suggested it to me thinking putting my feelings down on paper could do a great deal of good for me. Once I started I really enjoyed it.

5. What do you write? Heartbreak, loss, pain. The fun stuff. Haha. :)

CosmicFox808 and Crybaby like this.
  24. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I don't really know why I write, but what I have discovered over the last couple of years is that I certainly don't write for other people. I honestly couldn't care less what 'my readers want'. I'd even go so far as to say I have nothing but contempt for the very notion of writing for others.

Samantha Leigh and Crybaby like this.
  25. CosmicFox808

CosmicFox808 New Member

What compels you to write?
    The same reason I eat and sleep, I have to do it. It's just an inherent need.

Why do you write?
    I write to clear my head, to share ideas, to entertain, to educate, and to learn.

What makes you write what you write?

Sometimes the words flow out of me like water and other days I have to go searching for them.

What made you decide you liked to write?
    Since I learned the alphabet, I've loved writing stories and creating characters and settings. It's not something I ever consciously decided.

What Do You Write?
    I write training manuals and educational materials at work. I write journal entries and dream journals for myself. And most importantly, I'm writing a Fantasy/Sci-Fi novel!