1. Raven

Raven Banned

Why Do You Write?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Nov 16, 2006.

Why do you write? What drives you to make these worlds in your head? Or to make characters in worlds you know of?

~Raven.

2. PencilJockey

PencilJockey New Member

Therapy. I have an overactive imagination that has pushed me to the brinks of crazed paranoia and depression. I write in order to release a little bit of the pressure that builds up before I lose control and let it suffocate me. I find that writing things down make the situations become clearer and I can handle them in a more proactive, rather than reactive way. Basically it takes the drama out of my head and places it on paper so I don't feel compelled to act it out instead.

I think that this is a problem for me when I attempt stories though as I use my writing to expel emotions but they never last long enough for even a short story. I pretty much stick with poetry. I'm working to change this though as I have a couple story ideas I'd like to work on.

Why do you write?

3. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

I write because I just have an overactive imagination. I was raised in an environment where my dad exposed me to fantasy and magic. My dad is the one who pushed me into the writing box and I gained that sense of imagination. I let the words go to my fingers and I wrote them down.

One of my dreams is to become a published writer, to see my characters come alive in other people's imaginations and let them play themselves out. Epic battle scenes, forbidden romances, and mystical creatures...I see those things fluttering inside of my head every time I close my eyes or at any moment when I am not occupied with something else.

Writing is another way to express myself in characterization. I don't really think it's my speech or my actions, I think it's the way I write that really expresses who I am and what I enjoy, how I feel about certain things, and hopefully, expresses how good my imagination is. I just want my ideas to get out there and have people enjoy them. That's why I write.

Why do you write?

4. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I used to write poetry as a release (when I was depressed). I moved on to fiction. When I write now it's either to make money (articles, etc) or simply for fun because I love it (the fiction).

5. PencilJockey

PencilJockey New Member

I love poetry and will continue to create poems but I definitely want to move my focus. Any tips on making the transition?

6. M.Kirk

M.Kirk New Member

I never really got into poetry. It was always my opinion that it was a useless form of literature. People always say to me, "Oh, but you express yourself through peotry" acting as if you don't with prose.

And to answer the topic question, I write for fun. That's pretty much it. I wouldn't say I have an "overactive imagination" I don't have ADHD or anything. I just find that writing takes me to a place that I can't get to in real life. The world of fiction is a wonderful place.

7. Veronica0406

Veronica0406 New Member

I write to relieve the pressure on my brain. <grin>

8. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

To be honest, I have no idea why I do it. I could try to say that I NEED to or because I enjoy doing it -- but that's a complete lie.

I'm multi tallented. I can draw, paint, sculpt, act, write, and dance. I'm VERY skilled with each and I decided when I was went into middle school that I wanted to write.

It was a completely spontanious decision because I couldn't even read back then... Well... sort of.

The first book that I actually read was Orson Scott Card's "Enders Game," and my english teacher gave me an "F" because he said the only books that I was permited to read was on my reading level.

In other words... I had to read "The Cat In The Hat".

So instead of going backward in my growth, I picked up the most difficult book I could possibly read and began reading it.

"DUNE" By Frank Herbert.

I got another "F" in my English class.

All throughout middle school I got "F's".

I learned how to read by reading what I wanted to read.

I learned how to spell from a Spellchecker and looking carefully at what I did wrong.

I'd read all these books on "HOW TO WRITE" and they'd say: "If you don't have a big vocabulary, then your hopeless."

Well -- I didn't have a big vocabulary and I pretty much thought: "Those writers can just stick it where the sun doesn't shine."

And I think I write and read and do everything as well as the next peson.

All because I ignored my school teachers for the rest of my life.

9. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    For me writing is my escape from reality, my stress ball. I write poetry because it just became the easiest way for me to release my hidden emotions and thoughts, I write fantasy novels because it is just so much fun to dive head first into a world that I myself have created

10. The Yellow Matrix

The Yellow Matrix New Member

I write because I couldn't exist without doing so.

11. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

I have no inspirational reason for writing. I remember the very first time I ever actually wrote something for myself was simply because I wanted to become a writer who was successful at producing stories that were just for fun but also kind of crazy. There aren't too many authors out there like that.

12. Frost

Frost Active Member

I write poetry because I really do enjoy doing it. It takes me too a different world.
    I write fiction for fun.

But I also paint, draw, act, sing, drum, and to a far lesser extent, sculpt.

13. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I write because if I didn't I would implode... that or I'd begin to drown in the heavy sea of ennui and become so self absorbed my own mind would act like a vortex sucking me in and spitting me into the pretty dark abyss I'd like to call depression.

And also

It's cool to write then share stuff with others. Forums such as these are one of the few ways you can enter someones brain without them shouting, 'Hey, get that surgical blade away from my head!'

14. Brazen

Brazen New Member

When I was younger, I was a big what if person. What if this happened. What if that. Some of the what ifs I made were just downright insane. But I was good at coming up with random ideas.

I still like to float from one idea to another. But instead of annoying the adults around me like I used to, I just like to express it in writing. I know I don't write masterpieces or anything, but I'm improving now.

I save a lot of stuff for ideas I've ever had privately just in my head for nobody to probably ever to read. And some stuff I post on the internet for anon opinions. Occassionally I'll write a poem and let others read it, but meh.

I love writing. I can (to put it metaphorically) lose myself in another world with it. I'm nowhere near ready to be published, and I don't know if I'll ever reach that level, but I still enjoy doing it.

15. llama

llama New Member

I don't really know why, I've always just had this passion for writing. For some reason, I just feel compelled to write, which I love to do!
    ________
    no2 vaporizer

16. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

I know this will sound lame but I also write because I HAVE to. Something in me finds a story and says GET IT DOWN NOW!!! Then I feel guilty if I don't follow that something. SO, it's a purely selfish thing - I just don't want to feel guilty :D. jk. I write because I have searched my entire life for a form of expression where I can really influence myself and others. I studied art, theater and film in college but I just couldn't quite share what I was feeling unless I was the one who wrote the work. So, I started writing. Now I have a day job, a family, and a dream to write something that will actually touch someone someday and make a difference in their lives.

zb

17. newguy

newguy New Member

The moment I read a book called "a porcupine named fluffy" I was compelled to write, and jot, and scribble notes. The books simplistic Irony made me the happiest kid. I still have the book though. I am a wet around the ears noob, I hope you guys can find time to comment on some poems and stories I write. I guess thats my purpose in writing, its a source of learning, an escape at times

I am lucky that i chose a very active forum

18. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in my 'old' life, i wrote anything that took words for money and to be published/produced... now, i write only to 'enlighten' and give my work away to anyone who wants it...

i also used to get up to $150/hr from my writing consutant business clients for what i now offer/give aspiring writers all over the world for free...

love and hugs, maia

19. PencilJockey

PencilJockey New Member

:D
    I've felt that same way with my poetry. Last night I was watching Rush's 30yr celebration concert and had these lines floating through my head. I wanted to write them down but I was so drawn to just sit and rock out with the music. Afterwards I forgot the words and felt guilty for not writing them down. Perhaps it could have been beautiful....perhaps they were merely words that would end up in the trash bin, but I still wish I'd written them down!

20. Vivienne Crow

Vivienne Crow New Member

because i have to.

its as simple as that. i think that i would go insane if i couldnt write or i lost the ability to create the worlds and characters that are always running around in my head. the worlds will build up, all the events happening all at once and my head would explode.

my friends and i (who are also writers) have this thing that we say most writers have, or the ones with most creativety. its called "the writers curse" (i know cheesy and cliche but meh) and its when no matter what your doing no matter where you are or who your with, whatever you look at hear or read you can always think of storyline, backstory, character or event that could be turned into a book from it. It can never be turned off and its always working.

i have such a curse...sometimes ill find myself in a movie theatre watching a movie and suddenly one of the characters will say something or ill see an excellent special effect or setting and my writer clicks in and there will be a movie going on inside of my head of the book i will want to create as soon as i leave the cinema. sometimes i even miss half the movie cause im watching the one inside of me head. thus im afflicted with the writers curse.

i write or i explode. lol

xXLadyFrostXxCursed and loving it!