Why is it that chracters with emotion=emo?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gammer, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

With that point of view, I'd be interested in seeing what you think of my play. The story is about a girl suffering from a severe anxiety disorder and depression.

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Indeed it would. I should probably pick up some books with these kind of characters now that I think of it. See if I come across anyone whose found a way to manage the annoyances in a way that makes it not annoying XD. I'd be interested in seeing how they do it.

A play might be somewhat different from a book though. A performance would have active participation so maybe the action of the stage would make the character seem less moody, or at least provide a way to get past the whining. Look back a big and you'll find that I actually don't mind the very depressing character of Shingi because the storyline managed itself well and broke up his hissy fits with action and other depressed characters. Now that I look at it my reaction to whinny characters in TV, film, or play is different from my reaction to them in written literature. Maybe it's just that I can't bare to read through pages of exposition where a character says their life sucks when I can watch them complain about it to others and see how those others react. I think that's why I didn't find it annoying in moving pictures or performance.

3. Rei

That's all fine, though I was talking about the characters simply having and expressing the feelings for what seems like no reason at all, not whining for pages and pages. Cuz that's the spirit of this topic, I think. Yes, pages and pages of nothing but complaining is bad. But it's also wrong to dub people/characters as "emo" for having and expressing sincere emotions even if you don't understand where they are coming from.

4. Kas

Kas New Member

I hate the emo label.

That being said, there are many novels I just lose interst in due to overdramatising. Twilight is a great example. I liked the setting established in the first book. I thought the romance was rather sweet. Yes, I can enjoy soppy stories - to a point. But the author totally lost me in book 2. The story was practically nonexistant since I could easily predict every event or supposed revelation. Lacking creativity, all that was left was increasingly annoying drama. The series didn't get even remotely interesting until book 4. By then it was impossible for me to really enjoy it because I had grown to dislike the main characters so much.

Of course, Stephanie Meyer came out of no where and sold millions. So "emo" sells. But I could never relate to this stuff even as a teen - I guess maybe I'm just emotionally stunted or something.

I like to see characters with "real" problems. If I'm just being beaten with the drama stick I tend to get repulsed. Characters like Frodo are easy to understand. I didn't mind the Frodo drama because it made sense. He had a real problem.

Tyrion Lannister (from "A Song of ice and Fire") is one of my all time favorite characters. A dwarf in the literal sense, a mishapen freak of nature, he was born to the most powerful family. His father hates him for being a freak and for the fact that his mother died in childbirth. He is either mocked or hated (or both) by nearly everyone. His character is interesting because Tyrion makes what he can out of his life. He is exceptionally intelligent and puts his brain to good use. There is a ****load of drama to this charater and his story, but the author doesn't beat me with it. He doesn't have to - because it really IS dramatic.

In the end it all comes down to the skill of the author. Have they really come up with a dramatic, emotional tale? Or are they just telling you it's dramatic by making unrealistic characters act/react in unrealistic ways?

5. EmmVeePi

EmmVeePi New Member

By definition dude. Thats just the way it is and I assure you I am part of that group that trashes those characters.

6. lostpyrate

lostpyrate New Member

In one respect, I don't really blame all these guys on the sci-fi and fantasy forums for being so averse to any emotion being expressed. I think it is a reaction to our culture, where self expression, including the emotions, is widely accepted, if not all together encouraged, especially in men! Not that expressing is bad, but too much chocolate cake, and you just get sick. If you want a good dose of emo, read a gothic novel like Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice. They were written in a time when men were men, and the only emotions they ever expressed were anger, frustration, dissatisfaction, arrogance, coupled with a serving of testosterone infused pride. Men were men, and women had their place. But books like Jane Eyre challenged that thinking (this is 150 years ago or so, by the way), and presented men with a softer side, and women with the ability to be strong, well spoken, assertive and stubborn. So, here we are, 150 years later, and men are almost women, almost too in touch with their emotions. There is a difference between being emotional, and being tender. A strong man can have a tender side while being strong. But an overly emotional man has no strength whatsoever. If he can't keep his own emotions in check, how can he even think about saving the day? Our culture is all about expressing yourself, saying, it's okay for boys to cry (and it is, to some extent), but I think these guys on these forums are just reacting to the ridiculous length to which our society has come in terms of embracing our inner mushy stuff. we read to escape, to one degree or another, so we want hero's that are hard, impervious to the storms without and the storms within. we all want a hero who stands out from all of us.

7. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

I just want to see a hero whose "storms" are in proportion to one another. A lousy character is one who has a raging tempest within and calm seas without. I hate characters who are happy/sad/angry for little or no reason. The same goes for a character who remains emotionally-neutral when the world is crumbling around him.

And I loved Jane Eyre. Rather than complain, she stood up and got **** done. I'm so sick of seeing characters with half her troubles do twice as much whining. There were a few mushy moments in Jane Eyre, but it was never out of proportion. Very well-written character who has thoroughly withstood the test of time, IMO.

8. Rei

Could there be a most sexist remark than,"But an overly emotional man has no strength whatsoever."

9. lostpyrate

lostpyrate New Member

I'm in full agreement! And that's coming from a guy who really enjoyed the book!

As for Rei's comment.
    Having been an overly emotional guy myself, back in my late teens and early 20's, I'd have to say I was quite the weakling! Don't get me wrong, I love emotions, all of them, fully felt! However, when you lose control of the expression of those emotions (emo), and they begin to run your life, by definition, you have become their slave, and are thus rendered weak.

However, on the flip side, I think it takes courage, man or woman, to discover and express how we really feel.

And yes, of course, there can be even more sexist remarks than what I wrote, although, I don't see where the sexism comes in. I was making the comment about emotional men, and being one, felt it was totally appropriate.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, there could. I've heard worse. But let's not take the discussion in that direction.

For that matter, no one said the same would not be true of an overly emotional woman.

11. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

Not always true, but when they forge their identities on their emotions (like some of these characters do) then of COURSE it comes off like that.

12. Rei

Really depends on one's definition of being weak.

13. lostpyrate

lostpyrate New Member

Absolutely! My definition is as stated above, being a slave to your emotions, and being "powerless" to control them when necessary. How would you define "being weak?" And tie it into this thread on emo characters, just so we stay relevant.

14. Rei

It's not about what the emotions, how intense they are, or how we express them. It's about how we respond to them.

15. Vacuum Eater

Vacuum Eater New Member

I agree.

16. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

This evening when Bill Guerin of the detestable Pittsburgh Penguins was being interviewed after winning the Stanley Cup, he sounded on the edge of tears and looked like he may have cried just prior to the interview. This gentleman has competed in one of the harshest professional sports leagues for nearly twenty years, playing on many occasions while injured and in pain. Does his display of emotion somehow make him 'less of a man'?

17. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

emo stands for emotionally unstable and to the op, i cant i don't class any of the characters that you mentioned to be emo.

18. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

It isn't that they're emotional, it's that they're emotional and only really seem to express angst. That's what's annoying sometimes.

19. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Emo isn't entirely emotional, or afflicted with angst. Emos wallow in emotion, and wear their suffering like a badge of honor. They dress and wear makeup to further advertise their worhip of misery.

An emo would never struggle to overcome his or her difficulties. Suffering is their oxygen.

20. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I'm going to put on some eyeliner, then go into my room and write songs about hating my mom because she grounded me. Also, I'm going to write about how no one understands me.