1. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed New Member

Books that talk about the web 2.0, reading and writing

Discussion in 'Research' started by sophia_esteed, Jan 24, 2012.

Yeah, uhm, I don't know if this is the place to ask, so moderators can move this post if it's not.
    I'm jotting down ideas for themes to research on for a project on creative writing I'm trying to start with a friend writer of mine.
    One of the themes that came to mind was that today we use the web on a daily basis, there are blogs, social networks and social media and so on.
    We've also got electronic books now. And, since the project is aimed at high school students, it's likely they use Internet everyday.
    So I thought it would be a good idea to research how the web 2.0, the ebook, Twitter etc. changed our reading/writing habits.
    Problem is, the only two books I can think of that talk about this subject, are William Gibson's Pattern Recognition and Bruce Sterling's Tomorrow Now.
    I'm not looking exclusively for novels or essays, so I don't mind if you know of creative writing books that address this matter or something similar.
    Also, I'm looking for resources about using Twitter for creative writing projects.
    Thanks, even if you don't know of any books I can use for my project.

2. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed New Member

If my English sounds weird is because I moved from an English Literature course to an Italian Modern Literature one.
    So my English is kind of rusty.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

can i assume you've googled extensively and not found what you need?

4. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed New Member

Yes. I've only found books that talk about the web 2.0 and marketing. How to use Twitter/Facebook to boost your sales/business activity. Things like that.
    Some do address the issue of writing, but it is only seen as a means to sell more effectively or to communicate more effectively, but always business oriented.
    I've also found a couple of websites from teachers that talk about an experiment to use Twitter as a means to teach creative writing and I bookmarked them.
    I will explore them carefully and use as many materials I can find from them, but I couldn't find any texts that address the issue of using the technologies of the web 2.0 to teach creative writing, or the issue of writing for the web 2.0 in a narrative fashion.
    Maybe I just used the wrong search keys...even if I did not put 'business' or something like that in the query.
    I also tried the search keys web 2.0 and journalism/media, but the texts were too specific, with such things as the agenda setting and things like that.
    I know what they are because I did an exam at the university about the media and the web, but they are not fit for the kind of audience the project is aimed to.
    The project is aimed at high school students, age 14-18. Also, I'm not the one who's going to teach them. I'm just in charge of getting all the materials prepped.
    I'm kind of...an assistant professor, though it's a sort of voluntary work, since we're going to do it for free and we won't get paid for it.
    We all agreed to do so because schools don't have as much money as they did a couple of years ago. But we'd be sorry if the project were to be rejected because there was no money for it. We believe that promoting the practice of creative writing in schools is important. Here teachers only teach how to write essays or reports.
    We'd also like to offer kids who like writing a place to meet and discuss their works together.
    It's me and my other two colleagues. My senior is a teacher, my other colleague works as an employee from 7.00 A.M. to 7.00 P.M.
    I'm still a student, so since I'm the one who's the less busy, I volunteered to get all the materials ready.
    We're thinking about other two themes to talk about, but I'd be sorry if this has to be discarded because I couldn't build a bibliography.
    I also thought about start by reading excerpts from sci-fi books that adress the matter, but the only two that came to mind so far are those that I put in my first post.
    Finally, I'm the only one who can read, understand, speek and write English, so I'm also the only one who can study them, summarize and translate them.
    I searched Italian texts/textbooks, too. But then again, it's all 'how to boost your business with the web 2.0' stuff.